Thread: PSP GPS unit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSP GPS unit

I've seen the PSP GPS unit going quite cheaply on eBay. But is there any use for the peripheral outside of Japan? I know there's some Japanese GPS software available and a few games support it, but what about some 'unofficial software'?

I'd very much like to use the unit as one of those in-car navigation devices, like a Tomtom.

Or does anyone know if Sony plan a worldwide release, with the appropriate software officially available for each country?

And while we're on the subject of PSP peripherals, it's truly shocking that the camera is 1.3 mpix. What a total waste....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure there is some homebrew GPS software available. I can't remember the name of it but I remember reading about it on PSP Updates a few times. Looked like it's pretty decent too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, Deniska's Map This! for the PSP is a great homebrew app that's been functional for quite a while now (using 3rd part GPS units...). I'm pretty sure he's adapted it to the official PSP GPS receiver as well.

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/

Back when I used (before Xmas last year), you had to pre-download the maps from Google of the area you were going to if you wanted detailed street maps. (You could download them real-time as well if you happen to be in a hot-spot.) These maps would get kind of large if you wanted to zoom-in in great detail, but it works REALLY well. You can also do way-points to get ETA and directions, and Points of Interest (like all restaurants or gas station in a certain area).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    I've seen the PSP GPS unit going quite cheaply on eBay. But is there any use for the peripheral outside of Japan? I know there's some Japanese GPS software available and a few games support it, but what about some 'unofficial software'?

I'd very much like to use the unit as one of those in-car navigation devices, like a Tomtom.

Or does anyone know if Sony plan a worldwide release, with the appropriate software officially available for each country?

And while we're on the subject of PSP peripherals, it's truly shocking that the camera is 1.3 mpix. What a total waste....
    Yes go to www.psp-hacks.com they will give you the USA software for it and it works pretty well! Go to the download section of the site

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what's the deal with using it in the UK? Surely I just need the appropriate maps downloaded?

Edit: I've come across a pretty nifty stand that holds the PSP on your dashboard and plugs into the bacca lighter for power. I'm liking the idea of this.

Another question: is it possible to use a Dual Shock on the PSP via some sort of USB adaptor?
    Last edited by CosmicMonkey; 05-22-2007 at 12:29 PM.