Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFS 11??? WTF?? I'm getting tired of the yearly sequal phenomenom

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NFS 11??? WTF?? I'm getting tired of the yearly sequal phenomenom

Need For Speed 11. Yep, that's right. ELEVEN. Damn, first Tony Hawk Proving Ground, Guitar Hero 3, Need For Speed 11, is anybody else getting sick of this shit? I mean, with sports games it's kinda understandable. Every new year there are new uniforms, players switch teams, they update the game engine etc, etc. But I'm starting to get sick of the yearly Tony Hawk and NFS and all that crap ritual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So when is that Anthony2 coming out?
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this is one of the reasons why this generation of systems doesn't excite me. Final Fantasy XIII, MGS 4, Tekken 6, NFS 11, GT5, GTA4... every big game is a sequel!!!

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goemon View Post
    Yeah, this is one of the reasons why this generation of systems doesn't excite me. Final Fantasy XIII, MGS 4, Tekken 6, NFS 11, GT5, GTA4... every big game is a sequel!!!
    Here's the thing with the sequal games. I don't mind them so much if they come out every other year, or every third year. I mean, how many years has it been since Halo 2 and San Andreas? So I'm not really hating on Halo 3 or GTA IV, but the games that seem to feel the need of coming out every single year, are starting to piss me off. Like:

Splinter Cell - come on, take a year off and come back fresh

Tony Hawk - Is there anybody on the planet that hasn't had their fill of Tony Hawk yet?

Guitar Hero - I don't have any problem with Guitar Hero, but do they really need to pop one out right away, when 2 just came out not that long ago?

GRAW - Considering how fast we got these two games, I'm guessing GRAW 3 will be out in time for Xmas, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Need For Speed 11. Yep, that's right. ELEVEN. Damn, first Tony Hawk Proving Ground, Guitar Hero 3, Need For Speed 11, is anybody else getting sick of this shit? I mean, with sports games it's kinda understandable. Every new year there are new uniforms, players switch teams, they update the game engine etc, etc. But I'm starting to get sick of the yearly Tony Hawk and NFS and all that crap ritual.
    See I think what should happen is that NFS should take a year off so one every two years, though I though both Most wanted and Carbon were great games.

Madden especially should take at least 2 years off to improve, because right now it barely improves year to year and they really need to revamp it.

Tony Hawk has been really improved but one every 2 years is better for it.

Both Splinter Cell and Graw can definitely take a year off and come out once every 2 years or so and that would help the franchise.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goemon View Post
    But even though alot of those games are sequels they are nothing alike the predessors, MGS 4 and Halo 3 are sort of but they have a story to finish so I can accept that.

It doesn't bother me at all when the big games are sequels, what bothers me is when the games are crap and are sequels.

I don't care if it's Final Fantasy XIII because it will be a totally different game than X or XII. it's really one of those things but I would like new titles that are not sequels as well. though there's nothing wrong with a sequel.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    So when is that Anthony2 coming out?

I'm not sure. Ask your Mom. I think we got about 8 more months.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

but seriously I dont mind the sequels as long as they are good. I like NFS Carbon and am probably going to pick up TH Project 8 but then the last NFS I played was Underground and the last THPS was Underground again. Thats strange but as long as the games are interesting people will keep buying them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I don't see a problem with bringing out a new game each year as long as they make it different enough to warrant it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But dude dont you realize its fucking need for speed? and its more fuckin pimp and krunklicious then the other 11 games , how the hell can you say no to that?
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i agree with you. genres like franchise sports i think are necessary to have a game each year, but NFS, Splinter Cell, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk... they are all the same game where each newest one seems more like an 'afterthought' to the previous, or at best, a level expansion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are among the top selling franchises every year, and Guitar Hero is especially hot right now. As long they remain that way, you're going to have to deal with it.

The Need For Speed games always have a new city to cruise around in, a new story, and new features. And they're still good. Guitar Hero? As I said, it's especially hot and like DDR, fans will pay for new songs to attempt to master. It does seem like GH II was just released, but that's mostly due to the late release of the 360 port.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

x games = x * monies
    (x + 1) games = (x + 1) * monies

It's sad for the quality of games when they're not given a chance to percolate and go through a full design process, but when people continually buy half-finished games as soon as they come out then there's no incentive to stop doing things that way.

Besides, Need for Speed is "fuckin pimp and krunklicious" as Mr. Belmount has stated. Can't have those wannabe gangsters spending their parents' cash on anything less, now, can we?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to Need for Speed, I've known that franchise since the freaking 3DO, and I've enjoyed a few of those games quite a bit. I think the very best Need For Speed, at least for me, was the very first Need for Speed Underground on Xbox 1. However, Underground 2, came out the next year, and personally, I thought it was crap. Then we got Most Wanted on the 360, and I actually thought that was a pretty good launch game, and somewhat underapreciated. Then Carbon last year. I tried the demo on Xbox Live and even rented the 360 version, but I have to say that Carbon just didn't do it for me at all. The Graphics were barely above Xbox 1 standards, and the whole idea of having a crew that you raced with, didn't appeal to me.

As for sequals in general, I just don't think the "We might as well release a new one every November" theory works in the long run. You end up Tomb Raidering your franchise, and then you have to hope that somebody comes along and resurrects your franchise from the ashes. Of course, as long as the sheep continue to hand over their cash for these yearly updates, the EA Canada's of the world will keep churning them out. It's kinda depressing, but hell, just look at the summer movies we got. Spiderman 3, Shrek 3, Pirates 3, ad naseum.

I think we should definitely give some love to the new IP coming out this year:

BioShock

Mass Effect

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Heavenly Sword

Lair

Blacksite: Area 51

just to name a few.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I don't mind sequels. Sure, some(if not most) of these franchises needs some refocusing, like Tony Hawk did last year, but if the game is decent, I'll play it.

I sympathize with the fact that companies are sticking to established brands since dev costs are going through the roof, quelling the new IPs.

EDIT:

After watching the new NFS teaser, I'm quite interested. If they keep the damage model and keep the graphics somewhat tight, they might have a real winner on their hands, absolutely worthy of the 'sequel' tag that's been placed on it.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 05-22-2007 at 07:12 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really mind sequilitis. I mean I know thse companies are in the game to make money, and if people are buying it, they're gonna make it.

What bothers me is the price of some of the games, like Guitar Hero. Now I know this fall part 3 is gonna come out, and it's gonna range in price from $49.99 - 89.99. Honestly there is no need for that kind of price, first of all all the games are are expansion packs with new songs, new characters etc, and second of all, they're not even that advanced.

The games are about as simple as you can get in terms of construction, static background, 5 moving dots on screen. I mean it could probably be programmed by one guy in his mother's basement in Cambridge.

I hoping now that MTV owns it, a company with more money than it knows what to do with, that last generation releases will be cheaper.

I mean if EA can put PS2 games out at 29.99 and 39.99, there's no reason for this 49.99 for an expansion type of shit.

\end rant

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to say sports games are the worst. How is it that Madden can get away with putting out a game every single year with updated rosters and slights tweaks. They should only release a game when there's a new engine and then provide downloadable content for roster updates and any other patches they want to do. I know that they make a ton of money off of the Madden franchise but wow, how can people buy this game every single year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    I don't really mind sequilitis. I mean I know thse companies are in the game to make money, and if people are buying it, they're gonna make it.

What bothers me is the price of some of the games, like Guitar Hero. Now I know this fall part 3 is gonna come out, and it's gonna range in price from $49.99 - 89.99. Honestly there is no need for that kind of price, first of all all the games are are expansion packs with new songs, new characters etc, and second of all, they're not even that advanced.

The games are about as simple as you can get in terms of construction, static background, 5 moving dots on screen. I mean it could probably be programmed by one guy in his mother's basement in Cambridge.

I hoping now that MTV owns it, a company with more money than it knows what to do with, that last generation releases will be cheaper.

I mean if EA can put PS2 games out at 29.99 and 39.99, there's no reason for this 49.99 for an expansion type of shit.

\end rant
    You can defend GH somewhat because record companies charge games quite a bit of money to license their songs... but since GH doesn't use the real versions of songs, you would think they could bet them for cheaper, certainly less than the $2/song they're charging for the 360 downloads.

I enjoy the GH games, but I think they're the one series that has been mentioned on this topic that is in the biggest danger of burning out, especially with "Rock Band" coming out as well.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Wanna do something about it? (Other than bitching about it on a message board, I mean.) Don't buy the sequels.

(Seriously, how many times have we had this topic?)