Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NES Cartridge Capacity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    MPEG video is just a standard type that was around since Video Discs. That is like 198? or even 197?
    Wow... radioactive light fixtures, spinning lasers in CDX units, and now MPEG video in the 70's & 80's. You really know how to research a topic.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    I know but the way ROM is read and stored is simluar to RAM.
    No. ROM and RAM a very, very different at the hardware level. Most RAM is really just a series of capacitors (dynamic ram), whereas ROM consists of transistors (permanent logic states).

(Yes I know I simplified things a little, but the point is that ROM is >not< stored similar to how RAM is stored.)

MPEG video is just a standard type that was around since Video Discs. That is like 198? or even 197? In 1992 DVD debuted...
    Wikipedia says:

- Laserdiscs and CED videorecords (1970s) use NO MPEG compression of any kind. They are analog like videotape.

- MPEG-1 was released in 1993 (after the neo-geo... which did not include compression algorithms).

- DVD - 1996 release

The point is that because the N64 *does* have MPEG compression whereas the neo-geo does not, the N64 can squeeze 2 CDs worth of video (resident evil 2) into only 64 megabytes of cartridge. That same compression would allow an 89 megabyte neogeo game to only require around 8 megabytes on the N64 (or PS1 or other modern console).
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 05-25-2007 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Laserdiscs aren't digital video? I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica_marsfan View Post
    The point is that because the N64 *does* have MPEG compression whereas the neo-geo does not, the N64 can squeeze 2 CDs worth of video (resident evil 2) into only 64 megabytes of cartridge. That same compression would allow an 89 megabyte neogeo game to only require around 8 megabytes on the N64 (or PS1 or other modern console).
    Except those 89 MB Neo-Geo games do not contain any FMV of the sort that could be compressed with MPEG!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Neo Geo games doesnt use pre-rendered movies.
    Grammatical errors aside, this is untrue. Just look at Double Dragon for the Neo Geo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Are you sure? The biggest Neo Geo AES games are nearly 80MB (megabyte) large. What is the biggest N64 game in MB ?
    I think the answer is GB . . .

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Laserdiscs aren't digital video? I did not know that.

Except those 89 MB Neo-Geo games do not contain any FMV of the sort that could be compressed with MPEG!
    They have still pictures and various textures that could be compressed. N64 can do that.... Neogeo lacks the capability.

Laserdiscs == composite format video with 533 "pixels" per scanline == Super VHS quality.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy View Post
    Grammatical errors aside, this is untrue. Just look at Double Dragon for the Neo Geo.
    Did you have problems understanding me? Apparently not since you were able to answer. My 1st language isnt english so what exactly did you try to accomplish with your first comment?

I havnt played every Neo Geo game, but i know for sure that it was far from common to use FMV in the games. That 1 out of 200 (or how many NG games that exicst) games got a small clip of FMV isnt impossible, but as said, far from common.
    Last edited by jajaja; 05-25-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They have still pictures and various textures that could be compressed. N64 can do that.... Neogeo lacks the capability.
    Huh? Nobody said that the Neo Geo was incapable of decompressing still images. Compression and decompression of video is an entirely different matter (and can also produce a far greater reduction in size anyway).
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh? Nobody said that the Neo Geo was incapable of decompressing still images. Compression and decompression of video is an entirely different matter (and can also produce a far greater reduction in size anyway).
    Any system is capable of decompression, but where do you decompress the data stored in ROM? Into RAM, of course! And as we all know, consoles always have little RAM. If the Neo Geo had enough RAM to make decompression of graphics into RAM feasible, the Neo Geo CD wouldn't have dropped animation frames.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And there's a limit to how many banks a machine can handle. Commodore 64 (and probably NES too) had a limit of 16 banks, so a maximum addressable space of 64x16 = 1 megabyte.
    No, there is no such limit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

surely MPEG is earlier than 1993, as it's used for CDi

cinepak was a forerunner of MPEG compression, used for Sega CD, Jaguar, Mac etc....so NEO GEO could have used that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
    Any system is capable of decompression, but where do you decompress the data stored in ROM? Into RAM, of course! And as we all know, consoles always have little RAM. If the Neo Geo had enough RAM to make decompression of graphics into RAM feasible, the Neo Geo CD wouldn't have dropped animation frames.
    Fair enough, but then the N64 didn't necessarily make regular use of compressed still images either, come to think of it. (Or did it?)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I think the answer is GB . . .
    What game is that short for or do you mean GigaByte? :P You cant compare like RE2 size for PSX (maybe around 1GB?) to N64 size. If RE2 for N64 takes up 64MB, then that is what it takes.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Could be earlier, but not on CDi. The first CDi units with MPEG encoders came rather late in 1993.

cinepak was a forerunner of MPEG compression, used for Sega CD, Jaguar, Mac etc....so NEO GEO could have used that?
    For what?

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What game is that short for or do you mean GigaByte? :P You cant compare like RE2 size for PSX (maybe around 1GB?) to N64 size. If RE2 for N64 takes up 64MB, then that is what it takes.
    I think he probbaly meant Gb, not GB (there's that popping up again). The largest DS games are 1Gbit (or 128MB). There's quite a few DS games that clock in at that size so far. I expect that the games will get even larger before the system dies, too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 512MB DS game eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Fair enough, but then the N64 didn't necessarily make regular use of compressed still images either, come to think of it. (Or did it?)
    "Still images" would include textures, so yes the N64 used still image compression quite often.

The compression formats we know of on our computers like MPEG, JPG, MP3, etc. are not the most commonly used ones in video games, by the way, or at least they weren't in the old days, I don't know about modern games so much. Usually, proprietary compression methods were used and games like Resident Evil 2 or Conker (which had music in MP3 format) were more the exception. The compression was also usually handled in software, rather than in hardware on older systems, so to say that the Neo Geo is "incapable" of compression is sort of misleading.

...word is bondage...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. The MPEG-1 reader was added *later* after the introduction of the new specification. It's a mid-90s addon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    The compression was also usually handled in software, rather than in hardware on older systems, so to say that the Neo Geo is "incapable" of compression is sort of misleading.
    ...But then, with just a 12 MHz 68k, wouldn't playback of a compressed video while still maintaining a decent framerate be extremely difficult? I mean, there was brisk business selling PC MPEG decoder chipsets back when multimedia was new, and even the PCs of the time were a lot faster than that.

I'll stop talking now.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    I think he probbaly meant Gb, not GB (there's that popping up again). The largest DS games are 1Gbit (or 128MB). There's quite a few DS games that clock in at that size so far. I expect that the games will get even larger before the system dies, too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 512MB DS game eventually.
    Ah ok. Then its Gb indeed, not GB. Small "b" means bit and big "B" means byte, then its important to use the right one if the discussion is both talking about bits and bytes to avoid confusion The biggest DS game i've seen is Resident Evil. Its like 110MB (MegaBytes) which is close to almost 900Mbit. I dont think i've seen a N64 game that is that big.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...But then, with just a 12 MHz 68k, wouldn't playback of a compressed video while still maintaining a decent framerate be extremely difficult?
    Considering that Andrew Davie wrote an FMV playback engine for the 2600, I'd say just about anything is possible.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The biggest DS game i've seen is Resident Evil. Its like 110MB (MegaBytes)
    That's huge. Why so big? The N64 version of RE2 was only 64 megabytes (with 25 megabytes of pre-recorded video). Does the DualScreen version include videos?