Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ps3 1.80 update (upscaling)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's still gameplay lag with older games with this on HDTVs.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    You can still use an optical cable, just enable the optical out in the display setup menu. Set it up for Hdmi but then choose optical audio output instead of Hdmi audio output.
    Great to hear! Now I got another question. I just now remembered that my HDTV does NOT support 1080p (highest is 1080i and also 720p). Is there really a huge difference between having my ps3 connected via component (and it says it displays at 1080i on the XMB and some games push it to down to 720p) and having it connected via HDMI if my tv isnt 1080p capable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    Great to hear! Now I got another question. I just now remembered that my HDTV does NOT support 1080p (highest is 1080i and also 720p). Is there really a huge difference between having my ps3 connected via component (and it says it displays at 1080i on the XMB and some games push it to down to 720p) and having it connected via HDMI if my tv isnt 1080p capable?
    Liquid, we're in the exact same situation. I have a 50" Sony KDF-E50A10 (720p native, 1080i) that my PS3 is hooked up to via component. From what I've read extensively -- here and the avsforums -- the visual difference between 1080p and 720p is almost indistinguishable at close range. For this even to become noticable, you need to be sitting beyond 8-9 ft from your tv.

In regards to will the hdmi cable make a difference for us? This is the question that absolutely no one has been able to really answer. My impression it's really going to be a combination of 1) your tv + 2) how discerning your eyes are. Considering there was no obvious immediate benefit previously to change from component to hdmi, I just never bothered to spend the $8 bucks or so to get the hdmi cable from monoprice. However, with the new upscaling for standard dvd's I really think it's worth it now. One thing is for -- it can't look worse than component, right?

By the way Liquid, I sent you a PS3 friend request. Did you get it?
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    Liquid, we're in the exact same situation. I have a 50" Sony KDF-E50A10 (720p native, 1080i) that my PS3 is hooked up to via component. From what I've read extensively -- here and the avsforums -- the visual difference between 1080p and 720p is almost indistinguishable at close range. For this even to become noticable, you need to be sitting beyond 8-9 ft from your tv.
    Actually you have this backwards. The larger the Tv/Projection and the closer you sit the more difference you will notice between 720p and 1080p. The farther you sit away the less you can tell the difference because you start to loose focus and detail.

But with anything less than a 100" projection it will be harder to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. A videophile will be able to but the average person won't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

One more thing about HDMI vs. component. I have my PS3 hooked up to my LCD HDTV in a way where I have component and HDMI. I use HDMI for everything, but I wanted to see if there was a visable difference between the two. By switching back and forth (in the PS3 system menu), I determined that the colors were much brighter and vibrant with HDMI. This was especially apparent with PS1 and PS2 games.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    One more thing about HDMI vs. component. I have my PS3 hooked up to my LCD HDTV in a way where I have component and HDMI. I use HDMI for everything, but I wanted to see if there was a visable difference between the two. By switching back and forth (in the PS3 system menu), I determined that the colors were much brighter and vibrant with HDMI. This was especially apparent with PS1 and PS2 games.
    What were you running it on...720p, 1080i or 1080p?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a difference between Component and Hdmi. But the difference will depend on the Tv/Projector you are using. I have a Sony 60" , a Jvc 56" and a Mitsubishi 1080p projector on a 175" screen and they are all different. Some look better Hdmi , some component. One will be brighter with component, another will have better colors with Hdmi. They all have to be adjusted with each input to get the proper colors/contrast etc. but they still have slight differences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    There is a difference between Component and Hdmi. But the difference will depend on the Tv/Projector you are using. I have a Sony 60" , a Jvc 56" and a Mitsubishi 1080p projector on a 175" screen and they are all different. Some look better Hdmi , some component. One will be brighter with component, another will have better colors with Hdmi. They all have to be adjusted with each input to get the proper colors/contrast etc. but they still have slight differences.
    I've had similar experiences with my various setups over the years. I think the best way to find the ideal setup is simply "trial and error".

To answer Agbulls: I was using 1080i. My TV doesn't have 1080p unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going through and snapping some comparison shots of smoothing on and off for various games. I just did shots of Sky Odyssey, I'm doing Shadow of the Colossus now, I'll probably do Ico soon, then I'll test out Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Gun.

Can anyone think of any other cases that might be fun to try? My capture card only supports s-video/composite/rf, so no upscaling comparisons here, unfortunately. Still, the difference in some games with the smoothing is quite staggering.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

How does Sky Odyssey fare?
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    How does Sky Odyssey fare?
    No Smoothing:

Smoothing:

I accidentally changed the control panel while fumbling around with the controller, but it's the plane that counts! Pretty damn big difference, and it makes me wish I had a US Copy of Ridge Racer V to test out and see if it's actually playable now. The low res / jaggies killed that sucker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone tried Resident Evil 4 or the Jak games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I think without any question, this new feature is full of incredible irony and is sending Sony home (even with low PS3 sales) laughing their asses off.

Why?

How many times did you opt to buy the Xbox version of a game when it was released on both Xbox and PS2? It often came down to a simple comparison of Xbox version w/ 480p (or even 720p occasionally) vs 480i on PS2. I did these comparisons countless times, and wound up with a good 80% of my multiplatform titles on the Xbox.

Oops.

Not only did a vasy majority of those become non-compatible with the 360, those that do work often have weird emulation glitches. If I were to have bought all the multiplatform stuff on my PS2, I'd be enjoying them all up to 1080p!!!

Haha. Just makes me laugh really. It's the ultimate example of "you can only bet on ONE thing -- CHANGE."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    It often came down to a simple comparison of Xbox version w/ 480p (or even 720p occasionally) vs 480i on PS2.
    I'd always pick up the Xbox version because of the higher framerates (unless the PS2 version was better, such as with Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance). It looks like with the euro 1.80, they've been improving EE+GS emulation to the point where a lot of games actually run smoother (lots of reports of the PAL Shadow of the Colossus running a hell of a lot smoother overall, for instance)....grrr...

and here we all laughed/cried/pitied/mocked the Euro PS3 for its lower PS1/PS2 compatibility...damnit!

Smoothing comparisons of Gun, Killzone, Shadow of the Colossus, Sky Odyssey, and Liberty City Stories
    Last edited by roushimsx; 05-25-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes it is getting to a stage, looking at the EU emulation of games, That peeps should
    be asking WTF? with MS emulation, its getting rather crappy compared tp Sony's.

On the other hand I find it rather ironic the BEST reason to own a PS3 at the moment
    is for its excellent Ps2 games, I mean GOW2 is the best game ive played on my PS3.......
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Well, I went ahead and spent the whopping $9.84 for an HDMI cable from monoprice so I'll see for myself too if theres really any big deal between component to HDMI. At the least, my movies will now be up converted

I tried out GTA 3 and SA and noticed a tiny difference. Textures just look, overall, a bit nicer. Tried out MGS 3..no discernable difference (though it was already a great looking game)...also tried out Ridge Racer V quickly and, from what I saw, the jaggies are still there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    ...also tried out Ridge Racer V quickly and, from what I saw, the jaggies are still there
    I played RR5 for a while tonight and can assure you...most of the jaggies have been tamed. It's still a damned ugly game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sadly, the PS1 games I've tested so far haven't fared remotely as well when run with the "smooth" option enabled.

Bushido Blade (normal):

Bushido Blade (Smooth):

Colony Wars (normal):

Colony Wars (smooth):

Final Fantasy Tactics (normal):

Final Fantasy Tactics (smooth):

In comparison to the PS2 games I tested, PS1 games generally look a bit darker and soft enough to feel "out of focus". Final Fantasy Tactics is probably the worst of the bunch, though I hear upscaling it and smoothing it out actually looks quite nice. Going to have to give that a go later on this evening (just sucks that I can't snap clean shots of it ).

I did some shots of Gran Turismo, but the interlacing screwed up most of 'em. Going to play around and snag some more tomorrow-ish. It also doesn't fare too well, but god DAMN do I still love the soundtrack. I have no idea how or why instrumental Cubanate songs wound up being a majority of it, but color me happy as hell that they did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, but how well do upconverted DVD's look through HDMI?

Cause that's the real question for me. If this thing will do a better job of upconverting than my standard Samsung unconverting player, as well as make the PS2 versions of the Brother's In Arms games look good, and allow me to enjoy GTA IV AND play High Def movies, Sony totally has my $600 this coming January.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I played RR5 for a while tonight and can assure you...most of the jaggies have been tamed. It's still a damned ugly game though.
    Oh ok then. I only got to try out the first board since I dont have my save file on the PS3 and didnt notice anything too different. The one stage I was looking for to see a difference was one board that had a nice orange-ish sunset and the jaggies looked very prominent there in the original. Glad to hear at least SOME of it got tamed....

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Sadly, the PS1 games I've tested so far haven't fared remotely as well when run with the "smooth" option enabled..
    When I first saw the "smoothing" option, I thought it would be similar to the PS2 smoothing technique for PSOne games but it turned out not to be. I actually prefer playing MGS on the PS2 smoothed out then on the PS3 smoothed out...