Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Sadly, the PS1 games I've tested so far haven't fared remotely as well when run with the "smooth" option enabled.
    Much the same has come out in regards to using the Smoothing and Texture options for the PSOne games, and since the PS3 is using the Emotion Engine of the PS2 for the PS1 emulation, the stuff is going to look pretty damn similar overall anyways, be it being played on a PS2 or a PS3.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0) TerryBogard22's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kAI2234

Im very happy with this, ps2 games look better, ps1 look same and newer dvds are awsome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Much the same has come out in regards to using the Smoothing and Texture options for the PSOne games, and since the PS3 is using the Emotion Engine of the PS2 for the PS1 emulation, the stuff is going to look pretty damn similar overall anyways, be it being played on a PS2 or a PS3.

Well that is if your using a NON EU PS3.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    Well that is if your using a NON EU PS3.
    Yea, I'm hopeful that they merge the EU PS1/2 emulation into the US/JPN firmware. I'd love to see how the smoothing looks then. Maybe they're waiting for compatibility to get higher.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    But this doenst seem to be the exact case, as I noted above. Try out MGS or even Xenogears on a PS2 with the smoothing option and then try it on the PS3 with the smoothing option. They are doing it in two different ways. The PS2s smoothing option, while never being perfect, looks far better than the PS3 smoothing option....at least as far as PSOne games go

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd always pick up the Xbox version because of the higher framerates (unless the PS2 version was better, such as with Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance). It looks like with the euro 1.80, they've been improving EE+GS emulation to the point where a lot of games actually run smoother (lots of reports of the PAL Shadow of the Colossus running a hell of a lot smoother overall, for instance)....grrr...

and here we all laughed/cried/pitied/mocked the Euro PS3 for its lower PS1/PS2 compatibility...damnit!

Smoothing comparisons of Gun, Killzone, Shadow of the Colossus, Sky Odyssey, and Liberty City Stories
    you wanna know something funny ? not a single "game journalist" on sites like 1Up IGN or GameSpot has even mentioned how great the new system update is. I have read people comparing the dvd upscaling of ps3 to a stand alone dvd upscaler and with PS3 coming on top... its pathetic what type of morons are working @ writing reviews ... I guess they just don't want to write anything positive about ps3..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd always pick up the Xbox version because of the higher framerates (unless the PS2 version was better, such as with Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance). It looks like with the euro 1.80, they've been improving EE+GS emulation to the point where a lot of games actually run smoother (lots of reports of the PAL Shadow of the Colossus running a hell of a lot smoother overall, for instance)....grrr...

and here we all laughed/cried/pitied/mocked the Euro PS3 for its lower PS1/PS2 compatibility...damnit!

Smoothing comparisons of Gun, Killzone, Shadow of the Colossus, Sky Odyssey, and Liberty City Stories
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    But this doenst seem to be the exact case, as I noted above. Try out MGS or even Xenogears on a PS2 with the smoothing option and then try it on the PS3 with the smoothing option. They are doing it in two different ways. The PS2s smoothing option, while never being perfect, looks far better than the PS3 smoothing option....at least as far as PSOne games go
    I think thats because PS2 was "smoothing" ps1 games and they were still running on SDTV and now they are upscaled and smoothed on an HDTV with ps3!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PS2Hawk View Post
    I think thats because PS2 was "smoothing" ps1 games and they were still running on SDTV and now they are upscaled and smoothed on an HDTV with ps3!
    The above screenshots were snapped off of a capture card w/ svideo running at 480i...so...I don't know. Maybe the fact that the PS3 upscales all low res sources to at least 480i plays into it somewhat, but I guess I'm going to have to do some direct comparisons of PS2 smoothing + PS3 smoothing to confirm.

Despite the PS3 refusing to output video over HDMI to a non HDCP source, I may still pick up one of these and hooking up via component to do some better screenshots in the future. Getting approval from my wife is going to be tricky, though :\ (I'll need a new motherboard, too)

Hell, I'm going to need new component cables for my PS3 while I'm at it. I have official Sony PS2 component cables and third party multi-system component cables and both generate some extra noise that I don't get when using HDMI (or on other systems). Maybe it's just my TV+the PS3+Component...guess I won't know for sure until I get me an Intensity Pro

Oh, and I picked up Ridge Racer V today. Screenshots will be snapped later.

edit - it is odd how little press the new update is actually getting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edit - it is odd how little press the new update is actually getting.
    not surprising, Something Sony does right is ignored but if it's something Sony does wrong, it's news.

But it's just one of those things because it's just an firmware update though.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well my ps2 retired right after the update

good run .... 2001 to 2007!
    SCPH30001R model number, Made in Japan.. THanks again SONY .. now I can finish some games that I was playing on my ps2 in HD....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    I have a Sony 60" , a Jvc 56" and a Mitsubishi 1080p projector on a 175" screen

175" screen? Wow, that's freaking ridiculously huge. I have a 131", and I already think that maybe I have it a bit too big. Isn't there a point of diminishing returns in relation to screen size? How far back do you sit from that sucker? For about 2 years, I had a 113" screen, and that worked out very well for me, but when I got my new projector, I mounted it in the same exact spot as the other one, but the screen size was much larger, 131 inches. I was going to remount it a bit closer, but I just got lazy, but there are times when I think I'm a bit past the point of diminishing returns in regards to screen size. I think around 120 inches or so would probably be a bit better. I'm just too lazy right now to mess with it, but I couldn't even imagine 175 inches. When I watch regular TV type stuff (basically anything non-high def), it looks pretty damn craptacular blown up to 131 inches, but having that blown up to 175 inches would be god awful, I would imagine. I'm sure very high quality high def sources look good on it, but man, you must have a really huge room to have a screen that huge. I'm sitting like 19 feet from my screen, so to have a 175 inch screen, I would have to sit way farther than that. Hmm. Interesting.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So now tell me is it about the console that you are using or is it about the television screen that you own

I am not kidding Rolly Polly why woul you have to buy a certain screen to make your games look a certain way?

It is called features people and features is not what displaying a game on the scren is about.

Your games should be friggin beautiful even without Whatever term for smoothing out graphics they have.

I have been using ePSXe on my PC years to do what this update did and it still displays PSX games way better then any of the pictures above. I mean why oh why am I going to buy something for added features and how long will these updates last?

Can you download a disc or usb update or something like that to use if the update is no longer ready?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    175" screen? Wow, that's freaking ridiculously huge. I have a 131", and I already think that maybe I have it a bit too big. Isn't there a point of diminishing returns in relation to screen size? How far back do you sit from that sucker? For about 2 years, I had a 113" screen, and that worked out very well for me, but when I got my new projector, I mounted it in the same exact spot as the other one, but the screen size was much larger, 131 inches. I was going to remount it a bit closer, but I just got lazy, but there are times when I think I'm a bit past the point of diminishing returns in regards to screen size. I think around 120 inches or so would probably be a bit better. I'm just too lazy right now to mess with it, but I couldn't even imagine 175 inches. When I watch regular TV type stuff (basically anything non-high def), it looks pretty damn craptacular blown up to 131 inches, but having that blown up to 175 inches would be god awful, I would imagine. I'm sure very high quality high def sources look good on it, but man, you must have a really huge room to have a screen that huge. I'm sitting like 19 feet from my screen, so to have a 175 inch screen, I would have to sit way farther than that. Hmm. Interesting.
    I have a 16'x24' room. The seating is stadium with two couches on the back wall, two couches in front of them, a row of 6 theater chairs and another row of 6 theater chairs.

I usually sit in the back, but my kids like to sit in the front. Guests usually pick the second row of couches.

I play mostly HD stuff with the Ps3 and Xbox Hd-dvd and Pc and Local Hd Ota. But I have DishNetwork on it also and it really doesn't look that bad. The Mitsubishi HC5000 does an incredible job upscaling Sd to 1080p. It has one of the best scalers on the market built in.

And needless to say NO-ONE has ever said the screen needs to be smaller.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just thought about this. What abou the people who imported there PS3. Will the update work with there models?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    I just thought about this. What abou the people who imported there PS3. Will the update work with there models?
    The update rolled out world-wide, not just in the US. UK and JPN PS3s both got their own version of the update.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does this mean the Update will be included in newer releases of PS3 consoles????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    Does this mean the Update will be included in newer releases of PS3 consoles????
    Most likely, though the delay between when the update came out and when you'll see it on a console fresh out of the box might be a good while (especially with the surplus of v1.50s out there).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Here's an interesting article about superwhite and RGB Full. Along with some kind of test for your TV.

At this point in technology though it's all greek to me. I guess i'm getting old, lol. I just can't keep up with all this shit. Though it sounds cool.

http://www.gameswank.com/content/view/126/1/
    Last edited by BHvrd; 05-27-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-24-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Knoxximus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Knoxximus

I also hear that the European emulator runs games smoother than the actually EE/GS combo in the NTSC PS3's. If that is true, then there IS no rush to run out and buy one with the chips still in it in the US "before it is too late". This would definitely be a selling point for me if Sony really nails it.
    Hardcore gamin' since '75