Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone picked up Etrian Odyssey yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has anyone picked up Etrian Odyssey yet?

I've heard a lot of good things about it that has me interested. Any impressions?
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up the day it came out. It's very much an old school dungeon crawler -- the entire thing reminds me of Wizardry with much nicer graphics. The game is fairly hard, but not as unforgiving as some of the classics of the genre (like the previously mentioned Wizardry, The Bard's Tale, etc.) I've been to the third floor (out of 30), and one of the biggest challenges so far has been to figure out ways to avoid running into FOEs, which are overpowered boss-like creatures that visibly wander the maze in different patterns. As you progress, you can take on quests and missions that involve finding items or locations in the dungeon or that somehow advance the storyline. As you find items and sell them to the shopkeeper, she will learn to create new pieces of equipment that you can buy, so more advanced weapons and armor become available as you descend to the lower floors.

I've put about 5 or 6 hours total into the game so far, and I'm not ready to quit anytime soon. There's some strange addictive quality to the game which keeps me coming back. Plus, the Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage, Actraiser, Ys) soundtrack is excellent, too.

If you like challenging RPGs and don't mind turn based combat, then you'll probably enjoy Etrian Odyssey. If you're an older gamer and miss the days of the old school CRPG classics, then you'll probably love it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The-Bavis's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ChuckleFutz

I read the reviews in EGM and they were all over the map. I think it got a 4, a 6, and an 8. I'm intrigued by the game, though. Looks like it could be fun in an old-school type way.

EDIT: I was writing while Damaniel was. Sounds pretty good!
    The-Bavis

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So in other words, if I enjoyed the hell out of games like Shining In The Darkness and Eye of The Beholder, EO would be right up my alley?

Dude, I'm there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The-Bavis View Post
    I read the reviews in EGM and they were all over the map. I think it got a 4, a 6, and an 8. I'm intrigued by the game, though. Looks like it could be fun in an old-school type way.
    Modern reviewers tend to score old-school games on the lower end of the scale, since they don't appeal to everyone. As a modern take on a classic style of game, Etrian Odyssey is excellent, but the gameplay mechanics are pretty archaic compared to more 'modern' RPGs -- not that that's a bad thing if you know what you're getting yourself into.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also picked it up on release day. I'm not the biggest RPG fan, but I've developed some interest in them lately. After finishing off the original Dragon Warrior on the NES, I feel like I'm ready for anything.

This game is very addictive so far. The main draw of course will be the dungeon crawling, but the storyline doesn't seem to take a total backseat. Also, the F.O.E.'s add a nice sense of alarm to the game, especially when they chase you. Not too many games give me a sense of panic these days.

I made a big mistake earlier today trying to confront the Stalker right at the beginning of floor 3 with my level 11 party. One attack took my Landschnet (sp, lol) right out. You can't just go into a battle with full HP/TP, healing items, etc. expecting to win, you definitely have to think about what you're doing in this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found out something new about the FOEs -- when you're in battle with other creatures, all the FOEs get to move around on the map after every round of the fight. If one is chasing you and you get into a random battle with something else, the FOE will eventually catch up and push away the weaker creature mid-fight, leaving you to fight it unprepared! I almost got wiped out once because of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i preordered it and picked it up this week,buy i havent even opened it up yet.but i really dig old school style dungeon crawlers,so im sure i will be enjoying the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there any sorts of towns or villages to speak of in the game? or are you basicaly in a dungeon the entire time (like deep labyrinth on ds)

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

There is a town where you can rest and buy stuff as well as get quests.

I picked it up a few days ago and having fun with it. I have a Landschneckt/Protector/Medic/Survivalist/Alchemist party and it works well so far. I just started on the second floor

Also, I made a party of 5 Survivalists and put all their points into the Chop skill. I go to the closest chop point to the exit on the first floor and load up and then sell it at the shop. I get about 1000en in a few minutes!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has anyone picked up Etrian Odyssey yet?

Picked this up yesterday and am having fun with it. Really hard though. Glad to see a difficult game is finally on ds besides puzzle quest. Anyone els epick this up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds pretty sweet! Although I have to say... if puzzle quest is your idea of difficult, this game might be a cakewalk! I spent the last 2/3rds of that game winning every single fight without the enemy even getting a turn in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    There is a town where you can rest and buy stuff as well as get quests.

I picked it up a few days ago and having fun with it. I have a Landschneckt/Protector/Medic/Survivalist/Alchemist party and it works well so far. I just started on the second floor

Also, I made a party of 5 Survivalists and put all their points into the Chop skill. I go to the closest chop point to the exit on the first floor and load up and then sell it at the shop. I get about 1000en in a few minutes!
    That's a fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing and at first it was ok but to be honest I'm really bored with it now. There is absolutely no story which was ok at first...but you do is fight fight fight the same things over and over and the overpowered boss-like guys just slow down your progress drastically. You'll have to put lots of hours into this game to get anywhere. Also at levl 3 and it's pissing me off so much I just quit this mourning. Probably take it back to gamestop and return it as defective.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh well yeah puzzle quest gets a little difficult but not nearly as bad as this. I've just changed my opinion about etrian odyssey...it's boring as hell.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just tried looking in a couple different stores for this game. Has anybody had a little trouble finding it? I really wanted to try it but they dont seem to carry it in many places around me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any more opinions on it? Even filtering for typical retro-hate in modern reviewers, the reviews don't seem too positive... and I've been burned lately with games appealling to a retro sense that just turn out bad, heh

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I finally found a copy of the game after going to about 5 stores. I like it so far but it is one of those games where you gotta level up a lot right in the beggining. So far I enjoy playing it, but it isnt the type of game thats for everybody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I have a few friends who bought it and love it, but they acknowledge that you have to be a fan of the old style dungeon crawlers where you had to make your own map to get any enjoyment out of it.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8Ways2Tuesday's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it's awful, but the difficulty curve is insanely frustrating at the beginning.