Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0) minefield's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wing Commander 2 SNES

Hi guys. I came across this forum by chance and immediately thought it would be a great place to involve in the search for the lost SNES incarnation of Wing Commander 2. The Wing Commander community considers it part of the lost holy grail of WC products which have been completed but never released to the public, next to the novel Pilgrim Truth and ahem....an unedited version of the WC movie.

Here is a thread from the CIC which details the search:
    http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?threadid=21812

Hope you guys can help....
    When you're through changing, you're through

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Shuffling from Lore (?) to Classic Discussions.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wing Commander ? I never knew this game was a big anything until you told me now. I have a Starfighter disc with Wing Commander: Prophecy on it ( I had a couple of other discs but they broke ) I have in my fathers DOS based computer ( that I now have and was really expensive for him at the time. ) and I was playin around with the game.

It is exactly like mesh warrior or Front mission only in space and has video clips substituted for cut scenes. The acting is pretty okay and kinda nice for a game. They even have costumes and a set.

Pesonally the game is like most of these space shooters on a computer but is in a RPG or Simulation type state. Probably Adventure though.

I did a search and found this

http://www.consoleclassix.com/gamein...sions_smc.html

This looks exactly like the setup of Wing Commander: Prophecy only with sprites made in paint.

I probably have the rom somewhere in a Hard Drive. Why is this a Holy Grail again if it was made or maybe it was rarely released?

I heard that Treasure Hunter G was made and released for the USA but it was in low numbers under another name.

If I see it I will try and buy it just to tick somebody off out there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, Flack. Seemed like an appropriate place to post at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    Wing Commander ? I never knew this game was a big anything until you told me now. I have a Starfighter disc with Wing Commander: Prophecy on it ( I had a couple of other discs but they broke ) I have in my fathers DOS based computer ( that I now have and was really expensive for him at the time. ) and I was playin around with the game.

It is exactly like mesh warrior or Front mission only in space and has video clips substituted for cut scenes. The acting is pretty okay and kinda nice for a game. They even have costumes and a set.

Pesonally the game is like most of these space shooters on a computer but is in a RPG or Simulation type state. Probably Adventure though.

I did a search and found this

http://www.consoleclassix.com/gamein...sions_smc.html

This looks exactly like the setup of Wing Commander: Prophecy only with sprites made in paint.

I probably have the rom somewhere in a Hard Drive. Why is this a Holy Grail again if it was made or maybe it was rarely released?

I heard that Treasure Hunter G was made and released for the USA but it was in low numbers under another name.

If I see it I will try and buy it just to tick somebody off out there

Cheers for the reply. The game that link points to is actually titled incorrectly - it's supposed to be "Wing Commander: Secret Missions" which is not a sequel to the original game, but a mission add-on pack. It was a separate release however, which is why the titles have been mixed up during the years. "Wing Commander 2" is technically the third WC title for the system, after the aforementioned "Wing Commander" and "Wing Commander: Secret Missions".

Wing Commander 2 for the SNES was actually built from ground up specifically for the machine (as opposed to the port that was the originals) and was fully completed, but never released. The SNES version also had unique features, such as colour VDU's. More details can be found in that link I provided. The fact that it was complete and unique all add up to why this lost game is considered a treasure to the loyal Wing Commander community.

We were hoping that the SNES and ROM community would take on the search as it would obviously be mutually beneficial. Cartridges and ROMS have been known to exist as completed versions were sent to Japan, only never to be heard of again... Even the developers don't own a copy. Surely there should be a copy out there somewhere....?

Again, thanks for the reply - hope someone can help. If you want to learn more of Wing Commander and its thriving community head on over to www.wcnews.com - it's a strong and growing group of fans dedicated to the franchise, and we've recently (finally) been awarded a new game in series: Wing Commander: Arena!

Cheers again.
    Last edited by minefield; 05-27-2007 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minefield View Post
    Wing Commander 2 for the SNES was actually built from ground up specifically for the machine (as opposed to the port that was the originals) and was fully completed, but never released. The SNES version also had unique features, such as colour VDU's, more details can be found in that link I provided. The fact that it was complete and unique all add up to why this lost game is considered a treasure to the loyal Wing Commander community.
    Damn, it does sound pretty darn interesting. Hopefully it pops up at some point, I'd love to play it. Wing Commander 2 was one of my favorite space-flight games (when the Wing Commander 2 vs Tie Fighter debates were going on, I was on the side of Wing Commander by a fucking mile) and I have fond memories of playing the hell out of the SNES port of the first game with some buddies.

Prophecy for the GBA could have been pure tits if they'd just used sprites instead of trying to port over the 3d models. Good god did that game play like shit.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cartridges and ROMS have been known to exist as completed versions were sent to Japan, only never to be heard of again.
    I know that some companies like JVC(Victor), ASCII, KEMCO did translations and ports for western RPG games that was considered popular in Japan with enhancments.

Maybe there was company that was doing it for Wing Commander Games. Maybe you could go down to Nintendo and ask about the person who was in charge of porting games and associated with saying yes or no to the porting of etc game around the time this game would have been ported.

Maybe interview them and say your from some respected network community
    magazine or something.

That person might be retired also so it might be hard to find them.

Another thing maybe the game was featured in a Japanese game magazine or Nintendo Western game magazine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Prophecy for the GBA could have been pure tits if they'd just used sprites instead of trying to port over the 3d models. Good god did that game play like shit.

Yeah I agree. I always thought that they should of simply ported the sprite-based original and it's sequel. The GBA would of handled them perfectly, maybe even with some noticibale improvements. I think Raylight Studios (the company who ported the GBA version of Prophecy) wanted a game to show off their 3D engine for the GBA - Prophecy turned out to be that title.

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    I know that some companies like JVC(Victor), ASCII, KEMCO did translations and ports for western RPG games that was considered popular in Japan with enhancments.

Maybe there was company that was doing it for Wing Commander Games. Maybe you could go down to Nintendo and ask about the person who was in charge of porting games and associated with saying yes or no to the porting of etc game around the time this game would have been ported.

Maybe interview them and say your from some respected network community
    magazine or something.

That person might be retired also so it might be hard to find them.

Another thing maybe the game was featured in a Japanese game magazine or Nintendo Western game magazine.
    That's a good idea. People from the CIC have been searching for this game for a while and they've dug fairly deep but come up with nothing so far. They've been in touch with the original developers and even with some people in Japan, so they may of been down that path before. But your idea may just be another lead - thanks

The game has been featured in a few magazines before, so it is definately no myth. Some screenies are viewable in that thread I linked to....

EDIT: Here is a link to a detailed article regarding SNES WC2: http://wcnews.com/articles/wc2snes.shtml
    Last edited by minefield; 05-27-2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added link