Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've never played Diablo. Ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Diablo is a single-player game first and foremost. You don't ever have to touch online if you don't want, and you can still enjoy it greatly. If you hate playing games online, do not let that talk you out of playing Diablo, really.

I like playing online though. It's fun to take on a huge bad guy with a group of guys and topple him, then go crazy trying to scrounge on the ground for PHAT LOOTZ before anyone else picks it up.

Plus, it's easier to get the rarest stuff by trading than finding it all. And you can PVP online. If you want.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Diablo for the original PlayStation is single player. If you're just wanting to check the game out inexpensively, that might be a good way to do it.
    The PS1 version generally costs mnore than the PC Version. I think the PC version holds up better graphically as well, though it still looks dated with fe to no options to adjust the video on the PC.

You can play through Diablo fairly quickly so you might as well go for that to warm you up for 2. You will really be missing out on the multiplayer though. The origianl was awesome with four players at the highest difficulty....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Diablo 2 (online) remains one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. Just a fantastic experience altogether.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    The PS1 version generally costs mnore than the PC Version. I think the PC version holds up better graphically as well, though it still looks dated with fe to no options to adjust the video on the PC.

You can play through Diablo fairly quickly so you might as well go for that to warm you up for 2. You will really be missing out on the multiplayer though. The origianl was awesome with four players at the highest difficulty....
    Correct about the prices. I found a PSX copy for $1 a few weeks ago, but that's not very common to see. I originally bought my copy a few years ago for $20 at a Game Stop. I've seen a few others pop up for $15-25 recently so yeah, I was lucky. And as for on-line, it's pricey. PC version, $5 is boardline over paying.

Graphically I don't agree. The PSX version was released after the PC and was modified. It had the same engine but upgraded with new shading features. Also it's a 1 or 2 player game, however playing with 2 can be bothersome as there's lag at times while the system is thinking about those 2 players; get a horde of monsters on the screen and it's lag city.

And 4-player, it was all about that. Of course it wasn't as fun when everyone hacked and duped the Godly Plate of Whale or Osmosis and whatnot, but it had its moments. I highly suggest that if you decide to get the original let us know, you can make private games on B.net.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by thegardentool View Post
    Hellfire was the unoffical expansion made by Sierra. It added a lot of cool stuff into the game and if you can find a copy cheap, try it out. I had a lot of fun on dial-up multiplayer with both Diablo and Hellfire.
    Ahh, so it was unofficial. That would explain why it's not in the Battle Chest.

Considering how it has been out of print for a while despite the continuing popularity of Diablo, I imagine it might command quite a price eventually.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never played the Diablo series either, I know I am missing out on a great series. I would love to try D2 sometime, but I don't need another game to eat up all my spare time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I remember getting Diablo when it first came out and then the disc got ruined not even 2 weeks later.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    The Battle Chest is a good idea. I have that, too. Probably really cheap now.

The only thing annoying about the Battle Chest is that it doesn't include Hellfire. If they're going to include Diablo, Diablo 2, and Lord of Destruction, how can they leave out Hellfire? Also, the huge strategy guide for D2 also included in the BC is really outdated if you upgrade to 1.10.
    Hellfire wasn't official.

Also, it sucked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would also recommend the battlechest. I prefer Diablo 2 over D1 by a large margin. I played D2 online for something like 5 years, and competitively (with clans and such) for about 2. Online, it is EXTREMELY competitive, and difficult to get into unless you have a friend that can supply you with items and such.
    I am teh winnar of the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 64Bits View Post
    I would also recommend the battlechest. I prefer Diablo 2 over D1 by a large margin. I played D2 online for something like 5 years, and competitively (with clans and such) for about 2. Online, it is EXTREMELY competitive, and difficult to get into unless you have a friend that can supply you with items and such.
    I don't necessarily agree. There are still plenty of cool people online and you can always play by yourself until you get some experience. I have never had a problem finding cool people to play with and never found it to be overly competitive unless that is what you are looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one of the greatest games ever landed in my Psx pile on accident. a buddy of mine bought the game and guide and couldn't do a thing with it. he let me have a go at it and it was all over. i pop it in all the time. i can't even recall the hours upon hours of joy it brings me. great levels. lots of goodies to find. nice quests and minor quests. must say i enjoy the potion trick and the black mushroom hunt. big maaaaaaaaagic with the tavern sign is a blast as well.
    in sayin all this about the first. i have never even seen the sequel. is that blasphemy.
    http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&o...it&&lid=100018 wanna check my stuff out.......holla

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Ahh, so it was unofficial. That would explain why it's not in the Battle Chest.

Considering how it has been out of print for a while despite the continuing popularity of Diablo, I imagine it might command quite a price eventually.
    Interesting that everyone is saying Hellfire isn't official. What's the story behind this? Cause you know, my disc says The Only Authorized Diablo Expansion Pack.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ASSEMblerEX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You missed out on a great game. Diablo II was dated graphically when it came out though. Still fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    Interesting that everyone is saying Hellfire isn't official. What's the story behind this? Cause you know, my disc says The Only Authorized Diablo Expansion Pack.
    Maybe unofficial isn't the right word but two things come to mind:
    1) With Hellfire installed you can't play Diablo on B.Net.
    2) It wasn't sold with Blizzard packaging.

So it might really be a licensing thing.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ahh...that's what I thought. It was a licensed expansion pack. I'm not sure why people kept calling it "unofficial".

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The friends I grew up with and I were BIG into Diablo and Starcraft back in the day. In fact it was these games that forced my hand in me buying a modern PC. I still was using my Zenith XT all the way up to 98. 48 MB hard disk and all. I still, more than likely, have more hours invested into battle net than here. I'm going to run against the stream and recommend the original over the sequal however. It was and still is (in my heart anywho) THE multiplayer dungeon hack and slash.

You could also try Mythos. It's free to dl and play online and it's made by a majority of the Diablo 2 team. http://www.mythos.com/ The game was made to test the Hellgate London servers.

Have fun!

Edit: I just went and checked and Mythos appears to have gone to invitation. You can still submit an email to receive an invite though.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 05-29-2007 at 12:48 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Hellfire wasn't official.

Also, it sucked.
    Hellfire was an official, licensed product. It was developed by Sierra On-Line rather than Blizzard, however.

Although it added some good features (particularly the ability to run your way through town, which made marketing trips less tedious), the actual game was virtually the same. It would have worked well as a patch, but as a commercial expansion pack, it was disappointing.

For those who like Diablo and its sequel, I recommend Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption.

Rune Jade was a Dreamcast game that was supposed to play like Diablo, but was unfortunately only released in Japan.
    Last edited by evildead2099; 05-29-2007 at 03:53 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) starfox316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Diablo is ok.

Age of Empires is better though, in fact any of the AoE games stand up pretty well to Diablo.
    GARY strikes hard.
    THE SKELETONS tak 6 damage.
    Your Party has defeated the THE SKELETONS.
    GARY gaind 58 XP.
    GARY level up.
    GARY learnt BONER THROW.
    The monster leaves HERB.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starfox316 View Post
    Yeah, Diablo is ok.

Age of Empires is better though, in fact any of the AoE games stand up pretty well to Diablo.
    I like apples ok. Oranges are better, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I like apples ok. Oranges are better, though.
    Good answer.

I don't see how you can compare Diablo and Age of Empires. It's like saying, "Tetris is okay, but Xenogears is great." How does that help anyone?