Thread: Pioneer Sega Genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pioneer Sega Genesis

I've never seen this before let alone heard of others discussing it:
    Pioneer CLD A100 Laseractive Player

Apparently that's a swappable bay and has a Genesis module currently in it. A little link tells a bit more:
    Computer Closet

Who owns one of these?! Anyone? (I'm sure at least a few of you)
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0) WSUCougars's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up one of these last summer at a yard sale, with the Sega Mega-LD module, remote, "Laseractive" branded controller, and manuals. You can see pics of it, and the start-up menu, in my "Room of Doom" link in my signature. Or try this:

http://videogamecollectors.com/galle...e-Room-of-Doom

It's an incredibly huge (and heavy) system. You really have to see one in person to appreciate how big it is! Meant to be an "all in one" entertainment system, back in "the day." Plays laserdiscs, CDs, and (as you correctly deduced) Sega Genesis carts and Sega CD games via a plug-in module (roughly the size of a car stereo). There are also modules for Karaoke and Turbografx 16 hucards / CD-Rom games. The latter is incredibly expensive, and worth more than the Laseractive itself. In terms of performance it's no different than a standard Genesis & Sega CD combo. No extra features, although there are a few special laserdisc games that can only be played on this particular machine. These too are rather expensive, and I have yet to find / play one. It sounds great, however, if you route it through a good stereo. But if you already own a Genesis, CDX, X'eye, etc., there's no reason to go out of your way to get one of these, unless you dig the "coolness" factor of having a suped-up monster Genesis in your game room.
    Last edited by WSUCougars; 06-04-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I've got one of these and 14 LD games for it (if anyone has 3D Museum or Don Quixote for sale, let me know).The games are basically all either FMV's, shooters, or Dragon's Lair style titles. I think the shooters kinda suck but the others are pretty decent. Road Avenger and Blue Chicago Blues are my favorites.

The Japanese releases have a bit more variety (including a few nudie titles), but the prices for most are too much for me. I gotta get my hands on the 3D goggles and a copy of Pretty Illusion before I die though.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another Laseractive owner here. It is a gargantuan system. Unfortunately, I don't have room to properly display it so it sits in what my friends dubbed The Vault (ie, my closet).

In fact, I pick the system up here at DP for quite a bargain!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im trying to find one for a reasonable price- I am a huge LD fan and a huge retro gamer....so its perfect for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've seen this discussed many times here before. As I recall, you can even plug in the Power Base converter into the Genesis module, but you have to remove the shell from the converter before it will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by WSUCougars View Post
    I picked up one of these last summer at a yard sale, with the Sega Mega-LD module, remote, "Laseractive" branded controller, and manuals.
    Must have been some yard sale if such a hefty piece of kit was up for grabs.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I lovingly own one with all the US Games (Blue Chicago Blues was amazing, and I really need to get back to playing the other ones) but the rest can be argued. Heck, at least half of the 'games' are just edutainment discs, like Melon Brains and The Great Pyramid.

All I need are boxed LA TG16 extension cords and boxed LA Genny / Turbo controllers and I'll have every thing for the US library.

Useless fyi: The Laseractive disc LD tray is larger than an Xbox.
    Last edited by Dangerboy; 06-04-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

i need to catch me one of these systems. they rock and for their time it was awesome. I have never played it but if a dvd player came out with switchable drives for xbox 360 and nintendo Wii i would get it in a heartbeat. Anyone know where screen shots are of the games for this?
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WSUCougars View Post
    It's an incredibly huge (and heavy) system. You really have to see one in person to appreciate how big it is! Meant to be an "all in one" entertainment system, back in "the day."
    Pioneer did this once before, in the early eighties. They had a TV set with swappable modules, including an SG-1000 module.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I've seen this discussed many times here before.
    I ran a search last night and the page kept loading until it timed out. Not sure what the deal was but I tried multiple searches and nothing was going through.

Interesting responses non-the less

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've got one. I bought it in a store called Incredible Universe while they were discontinuing it. I bought a floor model for something like $190. I had already bought a copy of Pyramid Patrol, hoping that someday I would get the chance to buy a Laseractive to play it on, and when I picked up the floor model, I went over to the laserdisc section where they stocked the games.... and they were gone! They had sent them away a week before. A year or two later, the store chain was going out of business, and right before they closed for good they suddenly dug up the Sega Mega LD module from out of the back somewhere, and I bought it for $20. I still kick myself for not picking up the karaoke module too.

The only games I have for mine are Pyramid Patrol and Rocket Coaster. I didn't own a Sega CD until a year or so ago, so all this time I used my Laseractive mainly as a Sega CD player. When I got the Mega LD module, it was around the time that Sega CDs were being clearanced from stores, so I picked up a bunch of games cheap. Keio Flying Squadron only cost me $12.50 at Best Buy, for example. Sweet.

I've always liked my Laseractive, although it's always bothered me that the color of the unit is a very dark gray as opposed to the rest of the components in my Pioneer stereo system which are solid black. I held off buying a DVD player for years out of loyalty to my laserdisc collection. But then the Nuon DVD players came out, along with VLM2 and Tempest 3000, and I couldn't resist...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been slowly working on one of my relatives to try and get his off his hands for sometime now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great story Steve!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Great story Steve!
    Yes- quite interesting

Insert Coin (Level 0) WSUCougars's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Must have been some yard sale if such a hefty piece of kit was up for grabs.
    Believe it or not, apart from the LA there wasn't anything else of note. Just a run-of-the-mill garage sale. Apparently the original owner only used it for Karaoke, although oddly enough he didn't have a Karaoke module. The Mega-LD module was strictly for his kids to play with, and all of the games included were of the Mickey Mouse / Boogerman variety . Still, not too shabby for $50.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.collection's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I could find a laseractive, cause of course shipping is a B****.
    Feedback
    Don't think of me as a youngn' just a collector that learned his basics from a Pico.
    I just like that tingling feeling in my eyeballs when I play VB.
    I am looking for a Mini Neo Geo 2- slot 13".

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I love my LA. (Brag time, $24 pawnshop find! w00t!) I just wish I could find the TG-16 module.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MarriottGuy

Everyone is right - this system is a BEAST! - easily 25 lbs or so, and huge. This was one of the most expensive game systems ever released, going for $970 USD in 1993 - and this didn't even include the various gaming modules (Sega/NEC/Karioke) - those went for $599. So, if you wanted a LaserActive at the time and play your Sega and LD games, it was going to cost you around $1600 USD. The only system that surpassed this amount (even the $970 base unit cost), was the RDi Halcyon, which cost a whopping $2,000 in 1984.
    Terry | Marriott_Guy

Video Game Console Library | http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an LA with the Sega and karaoke modules. Only have Pyramid Patrol and a karaoke sampler. Those games command too high a price for me. So oddly enough I use it mainly as a laserdisc player.

What year is it now? Who watches laserdiscs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by irata View Post
    What year is it now? Who watches laserdiscs?
    I do. Bought two LDs a few weeks ago. They are abundant online but locally they are difficult to find and are usually placed with LPs.