Thread: Atari 5200 - no picture after fixing power supply

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 5200 - no picture after fixing power supply

My atari became non-functional many years ago when I was a child. I recall that I was in the middle of playing pole position when sparks shot from the switchbox and I hastily unplugged it and stored it away fearing a fire hazard. After over 10 years of non-use, I recently attempted to hook up my old 4-port atari 5200 and at first noticed the power light did not turn on. Assuming that there was likely a problem with the power supply, I opened it up and found the fuse blown. So, I desoldered it and reattached medium gauge insulated wire to the original points and voila the red power on light illuminates on my console. To my dissapointment, after connecting the switchbox to my tv I got absolutely no indication of a video signal coming through. No picture distortion, no black screen, nothing. I assume that because the fuse was blown and I have no picture that I likely have something damaged in my switchbox. Of course, I do not have a known working switchbox to test with. I have ruled out having the switch in the wrong position and most of the other obvious fixes and would like to know if there is anything you guys can recommend. I have already opened the switchbox and nothing appears to be blown. Also, is it possible for me to mod the 4 port console to once and for all rid of the deadly rf/power switchbox that has proved itself to be the bane of my existence?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps the rf was some how affected by the blow out, or it's dead. Have you tried the adaptor with another console, or a different rf cable? How about a different 5200? Radio shack used to sell really well working rf boxes. I don't know if they still do, but it's worth a trip.
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do not have another console to test with, and on top of that I do not have a spare switchbox to test with. I guess I can see what cell phone shack has in the way of a replacement (maybe parts to rebuild one), although I highly doubt it being that the 5200's power/rf is unique.