Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ever lose a save far into a game?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ever lose a save far into a game?

i did a search but didn't really find a thread on this.

well acually the topic came to mind because of my tragic incident last night. so i've been getting back into snes rpgs lately but didn't feel like battery changing so i hooked my snes up to a gd7 (a copier you can save to). anyways i was playing robotrek (its internal save battery was working). everytime i would save i would save in the game and onto the gd7. anyways i was about half way through the game and turned it on last night only to find my file was completely and utterly GONE. acually earlier that day a friend was over and wanted to check out my gd7 so i unplugged everything and pulled it out for him to examine completly forgeting that disconnection from the power grid would erase internal memory. but after i realized i figured "not a problem, the internal battery is still working (i had taken the gd7 off prior to clean connections and lost my save then to). well as i stated before to my horror upon fireing the game up that night the internal battery must have finally given up the ghost because the file on the cart was gone. needless to say i lost hours of gameing and can't stomach going though it all again....*sign* so i suppose beating robotrek is going on the backburner for a few years now.

for those of you familiar with the GD7 and say "hey why didn't you save the save to a disk" well i did, but i can't get it to work. its a way older save anyways.

other then this the only other story i have is when i accidently erased my symphony of the night save near the end of the game. that wasn't such a huge deal though as that game is so replayable and can be done in a night.

soo...anyone else have a lost save horror story to cheer me up?

Insert Coin (Level 0) KeyserSoze61's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was playing the bleemcast! version of Metal Gear Solid about 4 years ago.(never owned a PS, first time playing through it). Bleemcast took up all 200 blocks of a standard dreamcast VMU. So I was pretty much to the last level of MGS, and I think i had just gotten back from class, and I felt like playing some stupid little game. I popped in Tetris Worlds, and at startup, it created a new profile. When I saw that autosave screen, I knew I was screwed.

About a year later, I finally beat the game, but damn that was disheartening.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that sucks. Especially since you were double-saving.

Years ago I remember playing Zelda: Link's Awakening. I was about 1 or 2 dungeons from the end. My brother decided to be a douchebag and was flipping the Game Boy swtiched on and off over and over again. I didn't know it at the time, but I found out the hard way that this is a pretty good way to delete the saved data on a catridge.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure my NES toploader overheats. So after about 2-3 hours gameplay, any slight bump to the toploader will freeze it. Anyway, about 20 hours into final fantasy 1, it freezes and I lose my save. The next tim you hear the old dragon warrior saying "Make sure you hold reset while pressing the power button...otherwise you may lose your imperial scrolls of honor", you better listen to it

Someday I will go back to it, someday...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I was far into Cosmic Fantasy 2 back in 1993 and then I got my Turbo Duo. Well I held on to my CD player becasue I had my save game on that unit. Well since it wasn't hooked up for about 4-5 months I hooked it up and all my saves were gone. I was ok with my Y's saves becasue I had wrote the passwords down but Cosmic Fantasy 2 didn't offer this. I was so upset I sold the Turbo Grafx and CD player. I still have not competed the game to this day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Is there anyone here who was screwed by the infamous Playstation 2 Viewtiful Joe demo glitch? For those that don't remember, OPM sent out their monthly magazine/demo disc with several game demos in late 2004 (I think). When you went to play the Viewtiful Joe demo...it automatically erased everything on your PS2 memory card.

There were people just utterly destroyed who had lost 300-400 hours on Disgaea, 200 hours on FFX, etc.

Now that is crushing.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a big one: how about spending nine months (999+ hours) on an RPG Maker game and having two of the three memory cards it's saved on go bad. That happened to me many years ago. My backups were so far behind that I just gave up. I'm just now starting to piece it back together using ePSXe and saving to my hard drive.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Insert Coin (Level 0) starfox316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goemon: Same thing man! I was about 2 or 3 months into RPG Maker for psx and had my files mysteriously corrupted. That sux for you, man, that's alot of time lost. Luckily I didnt have that much worked out, but still a devastating loss. To this day, I have yet to pop that game in and start again, just too much anger....grrrrr.....
    GARY strikes hard.
    THE SKELETONS tak 6 damage.
    Your Party has defeated the THE SKELETONS.
    GARY gaind 58 XP.
    GARY level up.
    GARY learnt BONER THROW.
    The monster leaves HERB.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by goemon View Post
    Here's a big one: how about spending nine months (999+ hours) on an RPG Maker game and having two of the three memory cards it's saved on go bad. That happened to me many years ago. My backups were so far behind that I just gave up. I'm just now starting to piece it back together using ePSXe and saving to my hard drive.

... so you're using your PC as an emulator for RPG Maker? Why not just use the more advanced PC version? o.O

As for devestating save losses. Amazingly as much as I play RPGs it hasn't really happened to me. At least not in years. When I was six I was on the last dungeon of Legend of Zelda only to have my save wipe. I gave up on the game for years until a months ago when I replayed and beat it.

Around the same time I was also into Ultima Exodus when my game glitched and gave me every item in the game. Every armour, every weapon, and all the special quest items. Pretty awesome. But then my save was so unmanagable I deleted it. Big mistake, but then I was only a kid.

And again a few years ago I was playing Sword of Hajya on my gamegear. I was on a marathon session attempting to beat the game in a single sitting. Don't remember what battle I was on but I was laying in bed, sat up get a drink of water without looking away from the screen. WHen I brought the glass to my mouth I missed and smacked my gamegear with it. The game glitched and when I turned it back on I had no save file. Suck. But I've since beat the game.... so again wasn't that dire.
    Last edited by Daria; 06-08-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    ... so you're using your PC as an emulator for RPG Maker? Why not just use the more advanced PC version? o.O
    Because I like the simplicity of the PS version, and I just want to finish it.

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About 10 years ago I let my Nephew play on Pilotwings 64. He was 8 at the time and decided he wanted to see what the 'Erase' function did in the memory manager. I didn't actually realize until the next time I turned the system on. Everything, the extra events and all unlocked with golds completely gone.

Then there was the saga of Burning Rangers, CR2032s, Saturn save carts and the Saturn's internal memory. To cut a long story short, I swore lots and finally after 3 days managed to keep a save file and play through the game.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by goemon View Post
    Because I like the simplicity of the PS version, and I just want to finish it.
    Fair enough. I was just curious. (:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've lost a few games to bad batteries.

I had beaten EVERYTHING but the last two "Inhuman" levels in Unreal Tournament (DC) while on vacation and when I got home it was cleared. I've yet to actually go back and re-beat all of the difficulties again and tackle Inhuman. I'd prefer doing it on the PC version anyhow.

For Final Fantasy VII, the farthest I've gotten is to the meteor crater (or was it a volcano?) and kept dying from death spells. So I left the area and decided to keep leveling up on one of the islands and raise my materia more. I eventually got too busy and forgot about the game and apparently I lost it somehow because it wasn't on the memory card I saved it on, which still had other saves on it (ie. Diablo, Reboot, Breath of Fire III) that worked just fine. I'm a slow person with RPGs since I visit every possible element in the game and fark around so much, but I believe I put a 40ish hour dent into it.

A huge crush that doesn't involve losing to a dead battery or misuse of data through saves but rather playing hardcore on B.net. Since I find the softcore Diablo 2 games to be boring as hell after a month of playing online I went to hardcore; of course in there you're game over once your character dies and must restart over. I lost a few higher levels (high 80's and low 90's) that must have taken combined hundreds, if not a thousand hours of gameplay. Although it seems very odd to constantly replay something that'll end up being a complete waste if you die was just addictive and fun to talk with so many others. I would play almost every night for 4+ hrs (more on weekends) and did this for over a year...
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

I was playing FF7 and was laying the 2nd disc and didnt save and got all the way to red ruby or whatever in the desert or something on the 3rd disc and right when I did the KOTR and mimiced it 2 or 3 times we got a blackout.

I have neve gone back to FF7 after that.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this was acually my second attempt to beat Robotrek. i rented it back around when it came out some time ago and never was able to complete it before i had to return it. so this was my second failed attempt. next time i'm going to figure out how so save correctly to floppies and save religiously. oh well, i never have had troubles with memory cards for any of the playstations or the DC (except from my own stupidity in eraseing) and maybe i'm putting to much faith into them. but after hearing some stories here maybe i should save to 2 diffrent cards just in case.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Years ago on my Pokemon Blue, I had gotten 149 out of the normally obtainable 150. (Nobody had discovered the Mew glitch yet.) The only one I was missing was Tauros. So, I'm at a friend's house, and I try to put in this rumble gadget for my Game Boy. Turned on the power, and the gadget didn't work. So, I turn off my system and remove the rumble thing. (It plugged into the bottom of the system.) When I turn it back on, my ENTIRE Pokemon Blue game got erased. (Somehow.) I was so mad. I have never gotten that close to 150 since then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about deleting my Soul calibur save? now ive got to sit down and do it all over
    zomg I have a sig

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was nearing the end on earthbound when I lost my save Not a happy camper about that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Fair enough. I was just curious. (:
    Yeah, I thought about using RPGM2K or XP, but that would involve doing all the custom graphics over again and redesigning all of the areas. Right now I re-entered all of the character, enemy, magic, and item data and I'm working on level design bit-by-bit.

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I lost a few TurboGrafx-16 CD save files back in the day, but those were mainly due to not using the console for months. The most annoying save loss I experienced was playing Atari Karts. I'd gotten to the last of the race difficulty track sets, and turned the Jaguar off for the night. The next day after coming home from a bad day at work, I fired it up to find that the internal memory had blanked out and I had to start the game over from the beginning.