Thread: Where to find good instructions for installing a video card?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where to find good instructions for installing a video card?

I just got MOH:Allied Assault. I am able to run the game, and all the CGI movies in the beginning look great, but as soon as I start a new game, it loads normally, then when the game starts I can hardly see because everything is funky, like looking at a negative or something, the colors are all reversed.

I have an HP, and I think the problem might be that it uses onboard graphics, near as I can tell. DXDiag says I have an Intel 82801E graphics controller, but that it has only 5.5 megs, which sounds awfully low to me. I went and downloaded all the latest drivers from intel, and still have the same problem, so I assume I have crap video capability. I wouldn't know, because all my gaming has ben console-based until I saw this game and the online deathmatches. Anyway, I was planning on getting this card: RAEDON CARD

I only ever dug around in my computer once before to install more RAM, so I'm not sure where to find the correct slot, or if I need PCI or AGP, whatever the hell those are. Anyone know of a link or something with instructions for installing a video card, preferably instructions designed especially for the technology-challenged? Any tips would be great too. Thanks guys!
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

you might find something here:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/index.html

I've had to start from scratch (i.e. not knowing anything about computers) and I still understand this site.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

computing.net is a GREAT place to ask any and all computer-related questions. Your post scrolls off the page a little bit fast, but I've ALWAYS had a couple answers to each of my questions.

BTW, the directions that come with the video cards are also pretty easy to understand, if you know how to get the cover off of your computer, and remember to ground yourself (Hold the metal casing in the computer to ground yourself for static) then you should be fine. Just follow the directions

For under $100 - Radeon 9000 (You should be able to find it for this price)
    Over $100 - Any Geforce 4400, 4600
    Over $200 - Radeon 9500, or whatever Geforce puts out next
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd stick with PCI version. There's no way of knowing if you have AGP slot or not but in my experience some cheap department store PC (both HP and Compaq versions) rarely has any AGP slot.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

If you have a HP with onboard GFX, I'd say your chances of having a AGP slot are low. I'm talking from expirence here, that's how my system is.

Open it up and check for sure. It only takes a minute and you'll see better performance on a AGP card than PCI.

You can tell if you have a AGP slot if you open your machine up and look at the card slots and see the top one is scooted over farther than the rest. If it is, you've got one! If all the card slots are the same, it's PCI for you buddy.

You should be able to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS once you get your new card installed. I say should, because my board (Intel 810 chipset, a little older than yours) won't turn off. Still it's causing no conflict, and I have a cheapie GeForce4 PCI I got at Best Buy for $30. Not cutting edge, but miles better than what's on board.

BTW, if you have a HP, you might check out this book if you're looking to do any further upgrades: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846 I got it and I've overhauled my entire system after reading it (upgraded processor, added a second hard drive, etc., etc.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would you mind posting your computer's model number, or it's stats if you know them? That way we might be able to get a positive idea of whether you have an AGP port (via the model number, I'm sure we might be able to find some technical information somewhere), or at least an assurance that a new video card would help you (verifying minimum system requirements).

I'd also like to warn you that while this is a worthwhile endevor that I think you'll be glad you started, you may run into some difficulties disabling your onboard video card (Sometimes onboard cards can get a little confused when you pop a new one in). If this is the case, chances are good that an easy tweak in the BIOS will fix it (Not nearly as scary as it sounds).

To my annoyance I've been unable to come up with much information about that chipset, so I've been unable to find any products featuring it (which might be useful in determining exactly what you have), but, I suppose that's life.

If you have an AGP slot, I might agree with Sylentwulf that the 9000 might make you a happier Cap'n Wrong in the end, with relatively little difference in price upfront, but I'm sure the 7500 would be a reasonable choice as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, thanks for all the help guys, but I checked it out and I'm afraid it turns out that this HP setup clearly states that the video is non upgradeable. Bummer
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That probably only means you can't turn it off. You could still go ahead and install it, set it up under Windows, and then go to Control Panel > System and look for hardware profile (where exactly they are varies with Win OS (Under XP, click on Hardware tab, and then click on Device Manager button) Look for the Display Adapter section and expand that. Look for the onboard video, right click that and select 'Disable'

Then restart. You will need to move the monitor plug from onboard to the new video card. With luck, your HP will behave. It worked for my brother's older HP 833 whose onboard video can't be disabled via BIOS.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Hey, I have the HP book I linked. If you tell me what model number you have, I can look up the info for you and help you get started.