Thread: The Nintendo Entertainment System aka the NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default The Nintendo Entertainment System aka the NES

If there is one video game system I can relate to my generation, it would be the original Nintendo 8-bit. The unfortunate truth is that I came late in the game for earlier systems. On the flipside, I got to grow up with one of the best systems ever made. I have been seriously collecting NES for about a decade and if anything my love for the system has grown beyond anything I ever expected. I have enjoyed every minute of my NES collecting career. There is nothing quite like digging through piles of debris to find my own personal pot of gold in the form of a grey plastic cart. One of the things I enjoy the most when it comes to the NES is the playability of most of the games. The NES truly expanded upon the one screen game play of the 2600, and perfected the side-scrolling action as evidenced in the classic Super Mario Bros. The perfection of game play was not limited to one franchise, but spanned across a multitude of tremendous games. Castlevania, Double Dragon, Zelda, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden and Dragon Warrior are just a few of the great classic games, whose names and characters live on in today’s gaming market.
    Something the NES was most known for was the simplicity of control. Its controller, in it’s time, was truly remarkable. It was simplistic in its design, but had wondrous range and depth. Controllers today are more of an evolution of the NES controller than stand alones. With just a directional pad and two buttons it was able to give you a feeling of ultimate control, whether you were piloting a jet, fighting off scores of baddies, or behind the wheel of one Rad Racer. Also, I personally can attest to the durability of the NES controller…
    ‘It was late…so late it was early. I didn’t care. All thoughts of punishments or responsibilities were set aside as I scrolled across a lovingly crafted 8-bit landscape. It was easily my most difficult quest yet, as I was a boy at the tender age of 9. I was bound and determined to guide Ryu through his perilous journey. After hours and hours I found myself at the final boss. The name escapes me but all I knew was that he was big, and ugly, and HARD. I tried and I tried. I let myself be cast back to the beginning of the level time and time again, only to be trounced soundly by this big bad boss-man. I knew it couldn’t be me…’it must be the controller,’ I thought, and tried to vent my frustration by attempting to punch a hole through the start button. Luckily, with Nintendo controllers being rather expensive at the time, I was unsuccessful. It did show me, however, that it would take a Sherman tank to put a NES controller out of commission.’
    Though many of my childhood memories are intangible and will last only as long as my mind can hold them, my time spent playing the NES in my youth can be relived by a simple press of the Power button. It makes me smile to think that the system that hooked such a hardcore collector as myself is still readily available. It truly was the system that revolutionized gaming, and though there are systems that would revolutionize the industry yet again, the NES was the one that would coin the phrase uttered by every non-gamer…”playing your Nintendo.”
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

The NES was a great system, even though I grew up with Atari 2600, the system had many memorable games, and some truly bad games. From Bubble Bobble, to some of the Namco arcade ports (damn you Namco for not bringing Mappy to the US), while the NES wasn't 100% correct on some of the arcade ports, but some were close (Namco's early stuff), we got some of the best platformers, and some cool shmups.

Loved it even more when I got SMB3 and fired my own copy up for the first time, had previously played it at a friends house, was like a slice of heaven. I remember asking a couple people in school how the hell to do anything in SMB2 as at first the game felt alien to me, in time I'd learn to rack up over a 100 lives and beat the game everytime. The NES I have is almost 20 years old, doesn't work like it used to, but I still managed to squeeze game time out of my games for it, just wish more Famicom games were brought to the US (like the Pentarou game where you had to stay in shape and not get fat, or you wouldn't get the girl penguin, Yume Penguin Monogatari).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    while the NES wasn't 100% correct on some of the arcade ports, but some were close
    This reminded me of an old thread I made about this very subject, favoring Nintendo's inaccurate arcade ports to the originals-
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62712

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hear hear!

Here's what I wrote about my feelings on the NES a little while ago:

The NES
    Ah, the NES, where to begin? It is the system by which I grew up. My childhood days were filled with NES lore, from Zelda's maps and dungeons to Mega Man 2's enemy stages. I generally divide my exposure to the NES in three different eras: The first is the "early childhood" era, before I knew anything about cheat codes or Japanese games, or reviews. These were the days spent playing through Super Mario Bros. and Wizards and Warriors, figuring out secrets in Zelda, and doing battles with my brother in Balloon Fight.

The second era I call "awakening", during which time I'd discover game magazines, reviews of bad games, and especially Japanese games! This last thing happened when I bought EGM issue 14 back in Fall 1990. The special on the Tokyo Toy show opened my eyes to hundreds of games which I knew I'd never see, or see only after major modifications. It was then that I wished I could go and live in Japan. This period lasted until about 1992, when I sold my NES collection for an SNES. Then came the Turbo, and I completely abandoned the NES until 1994, the third era.

The final era is the "modern" one. In 1994, I bought a used NES from a pawn shop for $30, and began rebuilding my collection of Capcom, Konami, and other classic NES games. That year, I discovered a Famicom (which I had never even seen before) and Disk System in a pawn shop. I was completely enthralled!

So, why do I have such an attachment to the NES? Simply because I grew up playing games which were more compelling and of higher quality than games on any system before or since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im actually different but the same as you guys. i grew up o0n the snes for about 2 yrs then the n64 but a couple of years ago i found a free nes at a goodwill and decided to play it. after about ten mins. i was completley in love. it was perfect. and still to this day i play the NES more than any of my 8 systems

Insert Coin (Level 0) Knoxximus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Knoxximus

That Boss you're talking about? The infamous Jaquio.
    Hardcore gamin' since '75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

gosh that boss kicked my ass. Even worse...me and a buddy tried to relive our childhood on Ninja Gaiden....only to get totally owned by him once again!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist