Thread: case swap between av famicom and toploader?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default case swap between av famicom and toploader?

i'm thinking of buying an famicom to replace my toploader so i can get some better visual quality out of my nes games. however, putting nes carts in a system built for famicom ones probably means that with the convertor everything will stick way out of the system.

i'm wondering if it's possible to swap the top half of the av famicom with the toploader, so that nes carts won't jut way out. they seem about the right size, but i don't know if the parts are modular enough for this. there's also the question of whether the toploader's top half would go completely over famicom carts and make them impossible to remove from the system.

so, anyone have both systems and a little bit of time to check this out for me?

oh, and if anyone could recommend a good model of nes-famicom converter and where to buy it, that's be great too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They look similar enough in pictures, but the two systems are actually different sizes. The AV Famicom is a bit smaller. I haven't opened it, but I don't think the screw holes in the board are the same for both either. Even if I did, it wouldn't matter because I traded away my Top Loader when I got the AV Famicom.

The NES carts would stick out just as far on the AV Famicom with either case due to the necessity of a 72-60 pin connector. I wholeheartedly recommend going the AV Famicom route over the Top Loader regardless. The increase in picture quality, ability to play games with custom memory mapper chips (Castlevania 3) and peripheral compatibility (disk system, 3D glasses, etc.) make it a much better system for the Nintendo fan. Of course, there is always the good ol' Toaster with a new ZIF connector. THAT is the best way to play US games, bar none.

One note of caution though. Be advised that you WILL need extension or replacement cables for the controllers with the AV Famicom. They are PC Engine length, if that. At least it comes with TWO dogbones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

actually, as best i can tell they are exactly the same size!

however, i overlooked the reason the av famicom has a flat top instead of a round one to begin with: it needs to be that way to support the disk system's extra ram/interface/whatever that goes in the cart slot. probably whatever the 3d system uses as well. you could possibly do this with an adapter that can fit in both slot shapes, but it would negate one of the major advantages the famicom has over the nes. so in closing, this was a bad idea and i am dumb. but now i can play castlevania 3 and smb2j the way god intended, so i am happy nevertheless.
    Last edited by sharc; 06-28-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3D? Wow.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon View Post
    3D? Wow.
    http://assembler.roarvgm.com/Famicom...d_goggles.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    They look similar enough in pictures, but the two systems are actually different sizes. The AV Famicom is a bit smaller. I haven't opened it, but I don't think the screw holes in the board are the same for both either. Even if I did, it wouldn't matter because I traded away my Top Loader when I got the AV Famicom.

The NES carts would stick out just as far on the AV Famicom with either case due to the necessity of a 72-60 pin connector. I wholeheartedly recommend going the AV Famicom route over the Top Loader regardless. The increase in picture quality, ability to play games with custom memory mapper chips (Castlevania 3) and peripheral compatibility (disk system, 3D glasses, etc.) make it a much better system for the Nintendo fan. Of course, there is always the good ol' Toaster with a new ZIF connector. THAT is the best way to play US games, bar none.

One note of caution though. Be advised that you WILL need extension or replacement cables for the controllers with the AV Famicom. They are PC Engine length, if that. At least it comes with TWO dogbones.
    most japanese controllers are super small cords. it's because of how small houses are there. I just use my american controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok guys, so long as we are still on thetopic: i have heard that the a/v famicom will not work with a us lightgun. also heard that problem can be fixed with a mod. is this true? i don't have an adapter yet, so my system of replacing the us toploader can't be fully tested.

bonus question #3: what in the blue hell is that little port on the a/v famicom's right-hand side for? the one i ordered didn't come with a cap for it and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharc View Post
    actually, as best i can tell they are exactly the same size!

however, i overlooked the reason the av famicom has a flat top instead of a round one to begin with: it needs to be that way to support the disk system's extra ram/interface/whatever that goes in the cart slot. probably whatever the 3d system uses as well. you could possibly do this with an adapter that can fit in both slot shapes, but it would negate one of the major advantages the famicom has over the nes. so in closing, this was a bad idea and i am dumb. but now i can play castlevania 3 and smb2j the way god intended, so i am happy nevertheless.
    That picture is deceptive. They are not exactly the same size. The US case top will not fit on a Jp system.

As for the port on the side, it's for peripherals like the 3D glasses. They do not use the cartridge slot. The Disk System interface does, like you said.