Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I feel bad for stealing a little kid's video games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I feel bad for stealing a little kid's video games?

EDIT: C'mon people!!!!! Where are all the good stories? I know every serious collector must have made at least one trade/sale/purchase in their life that they felt even the slightest bit bad about! No one's gonna hate you, so tell the fricken story! I know at least one of you out there probably beats up young children and steals their Game Boys right out of their hands-- so let's hear about it!

ORIGINAL POST:

Yes, I almost made a little kid cry today... here's what happened. I recently saw a Virtual Boy in my local paper for $25. Of course, I was interested and called the guy up. (I already own a VB, but it's the type of fragile system that's really nice to get a cheap backup for). He didn't put up a fight at all when I suggested $15 for it, so I was definitely sold on it.

While I was there to pick it up I asked if he had any other gaming stuff. He said he had "Sega games that came on CDs". Of course, he didn't remember which Sega system that was. So after digging for 10 minutes in a box of old computer games, he pulled out Sonic CD and a few other games. When he pulled them out his kids started crying out "No daddy, you can't sell those! We love that Sonic game!" These were like 3 little kids probably aged like 5 to 12. Anyways, he told me he'd dig through some more boxes to find the Sega CD system; and I told him to call me once he did and I'd be willing to offer him another $15 for it. As I left I heard the kids begging him not to sell it and him explaining to them that he needed money right now (to pile onto the feeling guilty, since I had dropped the initial price $10, even though $25 was fair enough). Now I'd consider these pretty good deals, considering that's what they would cost just for shipping alone on eBay. And hey, I'm not gonna turn them down over a little guilt.

But I'm sure some of you out there must have scored some much bigger deals from unsuspecting people. Anyone ever found an amazing deal but felt a little bad about it afterwards? Maybe some little old lady selling off her son's old Sega Saturn system and RPG collection for $50 (even worse if you're the one who told her it was only worth that much).
    Or like me, bought a system from a parent while the kids were about to break down crying because you were taking their games away? This buying experience today got me thinking about this and I'm sure there's some much better stories out there than mine. So, yes, everyone on the boards will thing you're a complete scumbag afterwards, but we'll be completely jealous too.
    Last edited by PSXferrari; 06-20-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn that's heartbreaking

I bought Web of Fire a few weeks ago for seven bucks at an indie game store, where I am pretty familiar with the owner. I thought that was a little shameful on my part.

The worst part was that he had given me free stuff in the past for being a good customer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Donīt want to moralize, but since you ask for our views I must say I personally would never have bough those games. I would have think of those Sonic loving kids with feeling of guilt every time I look at the games. But I guess the dad (maybe) had sold them to someone else if you hadīt bought them so in my opinion he is the real ass here. Children can be very attached with particular games as well as other items...

Edit; on the other side I guess the dad really needed the money (maybe to buy food to same kids), so it is a difficult question...
    Last edited by Nimrodil; 06-19-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, I'd never feel sorry. You shoulda told the kids to quit crying, jump on the internet, and get the emulated versions.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrodil View Post
    Donīt want to moralize, but since you ask for our views I must say I personally would never have bough those games. I would have think of those Sonic loving kids with feeling of guilt every time I look at the games. But I guess the dad (maybe) had sold them to someone else if you hadīt bought them so in my opinion he is the real ass here. Children can be very attached with particular games as well as other items...

Edit; on the other side I guess the dad really needed the money (maybe to buy food to same kids), so it is a difficult question...

Well, I haven't bought the Sega CD yet (they didn't seem to miss the Virtual Boy quite as much). He said he'd contact me about it once he looked for it. But, hey, if it's been sitting in a box somewhere than how much could they miss it? Kids cry if you take any of their toys. I definitely understand what your saying though; hence why I started the topic.

Personally I think the proper way to handle this is probably to fight for it. Champion gets the Sega CD. The 5 year old looked pretty scrawny so I think I could take him. The dad probably wouldn't go for it, but if I throw in an extra $5 who knows.
    Last edited by PSXferrari; 06-19-2007 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying stuff from someone in that situation. OTOH, I don't think I could do it, but I am a total sap.

I did talk some lady into not trading in her SNES + games at a Gamestop once. I was browsing at the counter when she asked how much she could get. They told her some ridiculously low price, I interrupted and suggested she should try to get more on Craig's List or similar, as what she had was worth more. The guys behind the counter paused, and said "Yeah, he's right, but don't tell anyone we said so."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with buying stuff from someone in that situation. OTOH, I don't think I could do it, but I am a total sap.

I did talk some lady into not trading in her SNES + games at a Gamestop once. I was browsing at the counter when she asked how much she could get. They told her some ridiculously low price, I interrupted and suggested she should try to get more on Craig's List or similar, as what she had was worth more. The guys behind the counter paused, and said "Yeah, he's right, but don't tell anyone we said so."

Sounds about right. No matter what stories any of us tell in this topic, GameStop will always have us beat.

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They will forget all about the games when they are gone. Thats the way kids are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

The DP online guide is here for a reason. If they don't know how to, or worse yet, can't be bothered to, find out how much their games are really worth, then tough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Middle 90s my local indie game store used to rip-off kids by giving them GBP 1.99 ($3.00) for a Game Boy title, and he sold them on for GBP 6.99 ($12.00). Kids don't care as they originally didn't pay for the game anyway (GBP29.99), they were just glad to see some bucks to buy their next candies.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was younger I probably would have done it and felt bad but now I try to watch how my actions effect others especially kids. believe it or not I probably would have gave hime some money and told the kids to keep the games and systems. The crazy part is dad probabaly would have sold them when I left but that would be on him.

I probably wouldn't have risked scarring the kids for life and being known as the creepy man that took sonic and placing my reservation in HELLLLL HA HA HA.

What!!! snatcher was in there complete. Here kids here's a few dollars go get some ice cream.
    neo geo system

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.. its up to the father (if he was the father) if he wants to sell the game(s) or not. If he say yes you're not stealing anything. It might also be his games, but the kids were allowed to play it, its not sure that the games were given to the kids as a presents. I dont know what i would do in the situation, but you shouldnt feel bad about it, leave that part to the father

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have been in similar situations before and I can tell you I probably would have still bought the item but I would have kicked in some extra cash instead of talking down someone who is obviously in a desperate situation. A few years ago I bought a computer off of Craigslist for a ridiculously low price (3ghz PC for $100, like 2 years ago). When I met the guy I found out he had been kicked out of school and was selling what few things he had so that he could have enough cash to drive across country and get home. I kicked him a few extra bucks.

If the kids have some other gaming system then I would probably offer them cash plus a game or two for their current system. If they don't have a system then I would probably dig out an old Genesis or something and a couple common carts and offer it to them. You never know, a simple act of kindness could end up changing someone's life. Instead of having three heartbroken kids who hate their dad, you could be inspiring the next generation of classic game collectors!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

If he was digging in a box to get a game out that says to me the kids don't play it, same thing if he has to "find" the Sega CD system. That's the kids' knee-jerk nostalgia talking. It'll click once the stuffs gone or Dad tells them that "they haven't played it for X amount of time".

I had a kid that was the opposite-he practically was giving stuff away. The boy was selling his Dreamcast and a couple of games. The system was going for $10 with controller and power cable. I was inspecting the unit, debating if I should get another DC. As I was setting it down the kid barks out "I'll sell it for $5!" His mom looked at him with saucer eyes and asked "Are you sure?" The kid thinks a moment, sees I'm not really giving out any vibes of intent of purchase and says "Uh, yeah!"

So I flip open my wallet, give him the five and pack up my prize. His mom just shook her head. I told the kid he should let a person make an OFFER before lowering the price. The kid looked shocked. "I can do that?!" "Yeah, it's called haggling. So I bet you'll remember that next time, right?" He looked like he got kicked in the pants but he was a good sport with his sales error.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I wouldn't have bought it. It wouldn't have been worth it for me for a lousy Sega and Sonic CD. If it was a rare game then maybe I would have had to make a tough decision but a console and a few common games for $15 isn't worth the guilt trip for me
    Last edited by Griking; 06-19-2007 at 08:08 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

It is funny how at garage sales the kids are always playing with the toys that are out for sale. I'm sure they are toys they haven't touched in at least 6 mo (unless they are pretty young, but then a month makes a bigger difference). It is just human nature to want what someone else wants. Heck, I'm always checking other peoples baskets/bags at sales to see what great treasures I've missed out on. I *want* what is in their bag without even knowing what it is...

Same thing here, I'm guessing. I will say that at garage sales if I'm getting a great deal (silent hill for $3 the other day) I won't haggle. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

You didn't steal anything from these kids because a) you paid for the games and b) the games were never theirs in the first place. The games were the property of their father, not them. It was a fair transaction.

The Pantechnicasa goes through this every year during garage sale season. Mrs. Pan and I systematically go through the whole house clearing out the detritus. Some toy from that's been outside half-buried in the mud for three months will make its way into the "sell" pile only to invariably have one of the kids - usually my youngest - start loudly professing her deep sentimental lifelong attachment to it . Kids simply don't like giving things away. Heck, in your case, if the dad couldn't even remember what a Sega CD was supposed to be then I have the feeling it's been a long time since anybody's played it.

And if the Dad is that hard up for money that he's selling off old game systems...well...you can't eat games, right?

Now that I think about it, my parents pulled the same thing on me when I was 18; selling my Atari 2600 at a garage sale when I was 18 and away at boot camp. This was the impetus that made me into the collector I am today. Who knows, perhaps this event will spurn those kids into the collecting hobby? In five to seven years those kids will grow into teens and beat you out one day to a stack of the cheap rarez at a local thrift shop (see...because you'll be too old and slow), and the karmic flow of the universe will have smoothed itself out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    You didn't steal anything from these kids because a) you paid for the games and b) the games were never theirs in the first place. The games were the property of their father, not them. It was a fair transaction.
    That is exactly what I came here to say. You should have no reason to feel guilty.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sounds like this story would be appropriate for the 'LORE' forum.

Who knows, maybe 10 or 15 years down the line, there will be a 'LORE' forum posting (for the 12th or 13th edition of the DP Collector's Guide ) telling the same story from the other side...
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I have been in similar situations before and I can tell you I probably would have still bought the item but I would have kicked in some extra cash instead of talking down someone who is obviously in a desperate situation. A few years ago I bought a computer off of Craigslist for a ridiculously low price (3ghz PC for $100, like 2 years ago). When I met the guy I found out he had been kicked out of school and was selling what few things he had so that he could have enough cash to drive across country and get home. I kicked him a few extra bucks.

If the kids have some other gaming system then I would probably offer them cash plus a game or two for their current system. If they don't have a system then I would probably dig out an old Genesis or something and a couple common carts and offer it to them. You never know, a simple act of kindness could end up changing someone's life. Instead of having three heartbroken kids who hate their dad, you could be inspiring the next generation of classic game collectors!
    Thank God there are a few good people around. I ALWAYS believe that kind of stuff comes back on you. Plus I agree when you say you shouldn't take advantage of someone in that situation. If it is a good deal and you have the money, don't talk them down just because you can. It says something about a person who handles this situation with some class(for lack of a better word). What gamer doesn't have an old GameBoy, Genny, NES or whatever laying around that they could part with? Give it to the kids, they sound like they don't have much.