Thread: Atari art collection 150k-250k est fails to meet reserve at Sotheby's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default Atari art collection 150k-250k est fails to meet reserve at Sotheby's

With a pre auction estimate of 150-250k the Atari art collection recieved a bid of only 120k and did not meet reserve. They are now waiting to see if any substantial offers come in today. Many items do sell the day after auction bidding sometimes for more than they failed to sell for the day before. If this does not happen the seller says its a good chance it will be broken up into 161 lots.

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot...t_id=159374916

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...y-via-sothebys

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/ar...in&oref=slogin
    Last edited by Buyatari; 06-21-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cool, thanks for posting those

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

If I had the money - I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Slap some frames on those, and display them proudly.

Any other pics, though? I really don't feel like registering at Sotheby's.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 06-22-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Uh....

I don't get why they didn't at least put up some decent pictures of the contents of the collection. Why would anyone bid $120K sight unseen? That's crazy. Also, I have questions about how they came up with that $150K to $250K estimate. I suppose 350 pounds of Atari related art and documents could be worth that much, but it really depends on what they are. The various news stories I've read make it sound like this was pretty specific packaging art and manuals for 2600 games. I'm not sure if just those items are worth that kind of estimate. Anyone have any other info about the actual contents of the collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't get why they didn't at least put up some decent pictures of the contents of the collection. Why would anyone bid $120K sight unseen? That's crazy. Also, I have questions about how they came up with that $150K to $250K estimate. I suppose 350 pounds of Atari related art and documents could be worth that much, but it really depends on what they are. The various news stories I've read make it sound like this was pretty specific packaging art and manuals for 2600 games. I'm not sure if just those items are worth that kind of estimate. Anyone have any other info about the actual contents of the collection?
    That's what I was assuming - while all the 5200 stuff is impressive, the VCS box art is the big prize, here. And the only pictue I saw was the art for Surround, what would've been Atari's version of DK, and a sketch of the 2600.

I'd pay out the nose for the box art (final or rough) for VCS Missile Command, Asteroids, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Video Pinball, Star Raiders, Berzerk (I'd fork over a cool million for every bit of VCS Berzerk artwork found.), Yar's Revenge, Haunted House, Night Driver, Defender, Warlords, and of course, my avitar - Super Breakout.

BTW - is that the guy that runs safestuff.com? I like the artwork that guy has... All the old 70's Atari conceptual art..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Well it was a live auction so bidders could see the contents if they liked. I'm told they also had Kee games Atari 2660 artwork which would have been cool. I know a few collectors went to check it out including John Hardie. It was available for viewing the day before the sale. The website has a picture of pacman art. Maybee the cover of the Atarisoft version? There was also a picture of pole position sketches.

I love this kind of stuff and only hope they put it for sale in small lots starting at reasonable prices. I have alot of Nintendo but this is the only Atari artwork I own. This came from an ex-Atari employee its a passed over cover to 2600 Defender.