Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Arcade Review (Springfield, Missouri)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default 1984 Arcade Review (Springfield, Missouri)

In downtown Springfield, Missouri directly across from the YMCA lies the 1984 Arcade. On Wednesday, June 20th, my friend The Stranger and I drove from Oklahoma City to Springfield to visit this tribute to the classic arcades of the 1980's. The 1984 Arcade opened its doors in 2005, and boasts anywhere from 50-60 classic arcade games on the floor at any given time.

The journey begins.

We were greeted at the front door by a friendly young lady who explained to us how everything worked. Admission is $5, which includes unlimited plays on every arcade game. Blue credit buttons have been added to the front of each cabinet; pressing the button adds credits to the machine. The only games not included in this deal are the pinball machines, which still cost patrons one quarter per play.

The arcade is decorated with classic retro stylings -- vintage movie posters, t-shirts, and arcade-inspired decorations from glow-in-the-dark Space Invaders to a giant, wall-mounted Ms. Pac-Man. 80's music is constantly in rotation while music videos of the 80's are displayed on various televisions throughout the arcade. It's almost enough to make you think you've travelled back in time to the 1980's, except back then I don't remember any arcades being quite this nice!

My head as a power pellet.

The 1984 Arcade is divided up into three separate rooms. The middle room (where visitors enter) has the most games. The room off to the left has more games, along with bar-height tables and chairs. The room to the right has even more games, a snack bar, and even a coffee bar ("Sinistarbucks." Cute.) Each of the three rooms had small areas to sit and rest (if you were there with kids, for example). One area had an Atari Flashback hooked up for playing Atari games; another lounge area had an all-in-one Pac-Man joystick game connected to a projector which projected your game on to the front window. Neat idea!

I Thirst.

But enough about the decor; let's talk about games! The 1984 Arcade is stocked, baby. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Galaga, Space Invaders, Battlezone, Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Moon Patrol, Zaxxon, Gorf, Dig Dug, Frogger, Gauntlet 1 and 2, TRON ... their collection of machines reads like a who's who list of classic games. While no arcade will ever have ever game every patron is hoping to find, 1984's lineup will leave very few visitors disappointed. The list of games the arcade owns hasn't been updated in over a year, so if your happiness depends on one specific game being present and operational, I'd call first. That being said, I found the selection not only incredibly diverse but also noticably lacking in "fluff" games (SNK's P.O.W. was probably the only one I wouldn't consider a classic) and there wasn't a single game there I hadn't heard of before.

Line of classics.

Of the approximately 60 games on hand, only two were broken (Turbo and Gyruss). The condition of each game was surprisingly nice. Many of the games had new joysticks, and the cabinets (including the control panels) were all in outstanding shape. In fact, all but a couple (noticably Burgertime ) were in their original cabinets. There's something about seeing the spray-painted stencils on the side of a Moon Patrol cabinet or the wood-grain stickers on an original Pong machine that makes the whole experience that much cooler. These are the details that are lost when playing MAME. There is no feeling quite like standing in front of a TRON cabinet, black lights glowing brightly. Games like Karate Champ with its dual-joystick control system, Tempest with its spinner or Battlezone's tank controls simply don't feel the same when played on a keyboard in front of a PC.

This was already old school in 1984.

One really neat thing about 1984 is the "high score wall," where mini versions of each game's marquees are on display along with the all-time high score from each game. Beat the score and you'll have your initials and score immortalized in black marker (until someone comes along and breaks it). In fact, within thirty minutes of our arrival The Stranger demolished the standing Burgertime record of 79,000 with his own of 189,000. Chomp on that burger, 1984! For his efforts, The Stranger walked away with a button and a free pass for our next visit. And, oh yes, there will be another visit. I, unfortunately, was not as lucky in my quest to break a high score. Even on games that I previously thought I was good at (Shinobi, Moon Patrol, Dig Dug) I was rarely able to achieve 1/10th the posted high score. Back to arcade training camp for me.

That's not a mirror. Gauntlet and Gauntlet II.

Summary: Anyone even remotely interested in classic arcade games should check out the 1984 Arcade. The Stranger and I drove 300 miles each way to visit the arcade and both felt the trip was entirely worth it. The staff was incredibly friendly and we chatted several times about the arcade.

Pinball wizard. There has to be a twist.

Notes:

- Hours and Attendance: 1984 Arcade is open 4pm-11pm, Wednesday-Saturday. On the Wednesday we attended, there were a total of 10 people (including the two of us) throughout a four-hour span. Wednesdays and Thursdays are the arcade's slow days, while Friday and Saturdays are busier. If you're looking for a quiet, less crowded experience, visit during the week. If you're looking for a party, try the weekend. Also, for the record: you must be at least 16 or accompanied by a parent; no smoking, and no drinking. We found these rules to be a big plus.

- Parking: as the arcade is located downtown, parking, especially on the weekends could be a problem. Fortunately we were able to parallel park almost directly in front of the arcade, but I could potentially see parking far away during peak hours.

- Pinball: During our visit, four of the arcade's six pinball tables were inoperable. Neither of us are big pinball players and as such this didn't affect our visit in the slightest. That being said, if you're planning on a lengthy road trip in order to go play pinball, you might call or e-mail in advance.

- Why are you still reading this and not driving toward Springfield, Missouri right now???

Link: http://www.1984arcade.com

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Why are you still reading this and not driving toward Springfield, Missouri right now???
    I think a DP group expedition is in order.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Oh wow, this sounds amazing!!! I'd probably wouldn't care about the pinball machines if I went, but that's mainly cuz I'm not as old-school for pinball (I like the bells and whistles of 90s pinball machines, what can I say?)...

Back to the Future almost had it right with its 80s Cafe...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

This place is pretty tits. A shame I didn't have any cash on me.

And I was stuck on foot because my idiot coworker wouldn't give me the rental car keys.

And I couldn't find a fucking ATM anywhere.

I'll be back out there for work next month and I will be fucking THERE.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Two things to do before I die (also known as two things to do):

-go to the 1984 Arcade

-start calling one of my friends "The Stranger"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a good few thousand miles away from where I live. I'd have to save up a lot of money, stock up on lots of soda and stop at every game store along the way there and back. This would more than likely take a good week to accomplish.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Two things to do before I die (also known as two things to do):

-go to the 1984 Arcade

-start calling one of my friends "The Stranger"
    If we manage to do #1 at the same time I will bring him and let you accomplish #2. Win/win, baby!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Springfield is my hometown, and I'm headed back for the 4th o' July: lucky me! Probably wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't posted, so thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is Devin, the owner of 1984, I wanted to thank everyone for the comments and I wanted to verify that yes, we are real and everything.

Kid Ice, nice avatar!

If you folks are actually planning on making a trip to here, be aware that we are closed the week of July 1-7, but will be open again on Wed the 11th of July. Our first day was July 7th and we traditionally close that week so we can all go on vacation.

Portnoyd if something happens like that again, just let someone at the door know, we would have probably let you in anyway. This may sound kind of silly but making money is not the reason we opened the place... we opened it because we were sick of there not being any arcades. The fact that it consistently turns a profit every month is just a bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Bummer. That's the only week I can ever count on being in Spf. Guess I'll have to try at Thanksgiving.

Thanks for popping in to say hi! (and save me a very disappointing trip downtown).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the other hand I own the place and I can do anything I want.

If there are a few of you coming and you can't reschedule, I would not be against opening the doors just for you guys for a few hours. The actual day of the 7th is going to be a problem because I have a wedding to attend that day, but anything else would work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, shoot.

Out of curiosity I just hit up Expedia Driving Directions. Springfield MO is just under 1200 miles from West Orange - a little bit less than 18 hours driving time.

Seems a bit unrealistic to fit in a road trip of that magnitude given things like families and jobs.

OTOH, this certainly seems like an amazing destination, and I've got relatives in St. Louis I haven't seen in possibly a decade. I'm certainly going to keep this in the back of my mind, and hopefully find an excuse to head out there sometime.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap, I did NOT know about this! I drive through Springfield at least twice a year on the way to my dad's house in Arkansas. I always make a point to spend some time in Springfield to go junking (and eat at the Sunshine Ave. Waffle House) so this would be a perfect stop. Sounds awesome, I'm hoping some of the lesser-known and more obscure games will be there; those are the ones I'm really all about. I wonder if I could post a "wish list"?
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    Holy crap, I did NOT know about this! I drive through Springfield at least twice a year on the way to my dad's house in Arkansas. I always make a point to spend some time in Springfield to go junking (and eat at the Sunshine Ave. Waffle House) so this would be a perfect stop. Sounds awesome, I'm hoping some of the lesser-known and more obscure games will be there; those are the ones I'm really all about. I wonder if I could post a "wish list"?
    You should add a stop at Andy's Frozen Custard to your list.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Man, all of this this talk of Springfield makes me wanna visit there sometime.

Wait a minute...
    My SEGA racers at Arcade Crusade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Devin (1984arcade). I live in MA, so the odds of me ever getting out to visit your place are slim. However, I just wanted to say thank you for opening such a place and giving gamers young and old the chance to experience things the way they once were. Good job !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Ha! I actually usually stop at Randy's Frozen Custard in Osage Beach and get a cappuccino concrete, extra strong. Frozen Custard roxx!
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if I could post a "wish list"?
    Well, if you will allow me to be totally self-indulgent, I went ahead and made a list of the games that would be in my dream arcade. Maybe it would be useful to get a pulse on what classic gamers would like to play (i.e. if the 1984 Arcade is looking to bring in some different games in the future)? Granted, a lot of them would be difficult to find.

Here they are:

----------
    Video Arcade Games:
    ----------
    Amidar
    Astro Blaster
    Atari Basketball
    Bagman
    Berzerk (cocktail)
    Black Widow
    Blueprint
    Circus
    Crystal Castles
    Eagle (must be put right next to Galaxian for maximum cool sound)
    Extra Bases
    Fantasy
    Fire Truck
    Flicky
    Gorf
    Gunfight
    I, Robot
    Indy 800
    Journey
    Jump Bug
    Jungle King
    Juno First
    Kick
    Looping
    Mad Planets
    Monaco GP
    Monster Bash
    Night Driver (sit-down)
    Pepper II
    Phoenix
    Rip Cord
    Satan’s Hollow
    Slither
    Space Encounters
    Star Castle
    Star Fire
    Star Rider (sit-down)
    Strategy X
    Stunt Cycle
    Super Bug
    Super Pac Man
    Tac Scan
    Tailgunner (cockpit)
    Targ
    Tempest
    Turtles
    Tutankham
    Vanguard
    Warlords
    Wizard of Wor
    Zookeeper

-----------
    And some pinball:
    -----------
    Hyperball
    Hercules
    Superman
    Spirit of 76
    Joust Pinball

I do definitely plan to stop by and spend a couple of hours the next time I'm going through Springfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Curse my living in Tennessee!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Ha! I actually usually stop at Randy's Frozen Custard in Osage Beach and get a cappuccino concrete, extra strong. Frozen Custard roxx!
    I always heard the two were brothers, or otherwise related somehow. Never actually stopped at a Randy's though.