Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Arcade Review (Springfield, Missouri)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I always heard the two were brothers, or otherwise related somehow. Never actually stopped at a Randy's though.

That's the story. I don't know if it's true or not. BTW, I don't think there are any Randy's anymore. There is a new Andy's in Osage Beach though.
    My SEGA racers at Arcade Crusade!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I happen to live in said town. If you guys make it back up here let us know and well make a expedition out there!
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

We are loosly scheduling a trip back up there for July 11th, for anyone who's interested.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    Well, if you will allow me to be totally self-indulgent, I went ahead and made a list of the games that would be in my dream arcade. Maybe it would be useful to get a pulse on what classic gamers would like to play (i.e. if the 1984 Arcade is looking to bring in some different games in the future)? Granted, a lot of them would be difficult to find.

Here they are:

----------
    Video Arcade Games:
    ----------
    Amidar
    Astro Blaster
    Atari Basketball
    Bagman
    Berzerk (cocktail)
    Black Widow
    Blueprint
    Circus
    Crystal Castles
    Eagle (must be put right next to Galaxian for maximum cool sound)
    Extra Bases
    Fantasy
    Fire Truck
    Flicky
    Gorf
    Gunfight
    I, Robot
    Indy 800
    Journey
    Jump Bug
    Jungle King
    Juno First
    Kick
    Looping
    Mad Planets
    Monaco GP
    Monster Bash
    Night Driver (sit-down)
    Pepper II
    Phoenix
    Rip Cord
    Satan’s Hollow
    Slither
    Space Encounters
    Star Castle
    Star Fire
    Star Rider (sit-down)
    Strategy X
    Stunt Cycle
    Super Bug
    Super Pac Man
    Tac Scan
    Tailgunner (cockpit)
    Targ
    Tempest
    Turtles
    Tutankham
    Vanguard
    Warlords
    Wizard of Wor
    Zookeeper

-----------
    And some pinball:
    -----------
    Hyperball
    Hercules
    Superman
    Spirit of 76
    Joust Pinball

I do definitely plan to stop by and spend a couple of hours the next time I'm going through Springfield.
    Well I have to say that you have assembled a list of games that include some titles that are nearly impossible to find. Especially good luck ever finding a Hercules pinball. We do have a Space Riders pinball which was the same design team that did Superman, so that's something I guess.

Out of your videogame list the only one I have on the floor is Gorf. I have an Astro-Blaster but it is not functional at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

that WAS cooooollllllllll
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation

I've started a slightly more formal (slightly less informal?) sign-up for the DP road trip to 1984 here, for those interested in making the trip.

See you there! I hope the 1984 staff are well rested from their traditional time off when we arrive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great review! This place sounds as awesome as Ground Kontrol is here in Portland. If I ever find myself in Missouri's Springfield, I'll have to pay 1984 a visit.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Radiac View Post
    That's the story. I don't know if it's true or not. BTW, I don't think there are any Randy's anymore. There is a new Andy's in Osage Beach though.
    Hey Radiac, I don't know if you remember me from OVGE or not but hopefully you can drop by on the 11th and hook up with us!

k8track, that's some wish list man! I've only heard of half of those or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Well, I live in Springfield and my girlfriend and I visit this arcade every week. It's the greatest thing to happen to this city in years (it's a pretty big city, but it's SOOOOOO boring)! They also will post who made the high scores on each game (and the date of achievement) on a giant wall of fame. They will also call you if somebody else tops your score (so you can reclaim you title). I am currently working on Xevious, Arkinoid, and Black Knight 2000 (SOOOOO close on that one). Like others said, this place is GREAT for the retro gamer AND their games are in UNBELEIVABLE shape!
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

that place would definately bring me back to my childhood. I actually just recently went to an arcade called Funspot out in Laconia, NH (where they hold bike week). The whole top floor is kinda set up like a meuseum. They even have newspaper clippings about tournaments they've held back in the 80s. I know exactly what you mean about the TRON game with the blacklights. I played that as soon as I saw it and immediately remembered loving it. They also had a lot of things like Contra, Double Dragon 1+2. Every arcade version of Pac-Man. So if there is anybody that lives out in the NH area and doesn't have the funds to make it to 1984 arcade, look it up on the map. You will not be upset with the selection in this place and it will be completely like when you were little.

PS: It kinda sounds like 1984arcade may be the better place to go, but Funspot is DEFINATELY worth it if you live within' the area (I don't think its worth driving more than 5 hrs out of the way to go unless you REALLY are about the retro scene
    Last edited by mailman187666; 06-29-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Stranger....so I take it if you sit on him for a while he feels like someone else?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice place, nothing like that in Germany, although in Karlruhe they started something to preserve the old coin-ups.

Hey Flack, Ms.Pac is 'giving head'

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's awesome!!! Unfortunately it's a little bit over 1000 miles away from me

to 1984Arcade for putting together such a place for everyone to enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Bump.

I just got back from a week of vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and made a specific point one evening of throwing the kids in the car and backtracking to Springfield (90 miles from where I was staying) to check this place out. DP's own Gapporin even met us there for a few hours of classic arcade goodness.

Seeing a fully functional Pong clone right where one walks in the door was definitely a good omen. The place was pretty clean inside and had a good-sized crowd for a Wednesday night. My kids ran off right away to look for original counterparts to the games they like best on Dad's MAME cab.

After a bit of knocking around Gapporin and I went over to the snack bar to get something to drink and chat up one of the owners. I explained how I had come all the way from Albuquerque to see the place, and that seemed to impress him although he's had visitors from New Zealand as well (I should point out that more than one Missourian I met on this trip seemed confused about the existence of a New Mexico, but 1984's owner was not one of them). Looking over his shoulder, I noticed an inoperative Star Castle machine (one of my favorites) and asked what was wrong with it. Excitedly, he pulled out the cab's refurbished PCB and monitor and told us that if we were willing to wait a bit he'd have the machine back up and running in a bit.

So we all played some more games (plenty to choose from) for another hour or two and eventually the Star Castle was up and running and we got first crack at it. I just thought that was extremely cool that the 1984 people were able to literally perform a cab restoration "while-u-wait".

Worth the trip, people.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That actually looks rediculously cool. Especially with arcades in Japan being between $1 and $2 a PLAY.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    Bump.

I just got back from a week of vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and made a specific point one evening of throwing the kids in the car and backtracking to Springfield (90 miles from where I was staying) to check this place out. DP's own Gapporin even met us there for a few hours of classic arcade goodness.

Seeing a fully functional Pong clone right where one walks in the door was definitely a good omen. The place was pretty clean inside and had a good-sized crowd for a Wednesday night. My kids ran off right away to look for original counterparts to the games they like best on Dad's MAME cab.

After a bit of knocking around Gapporin and I went over to the snack bar to get something to drink and chat up one of the owners. I explained how I had come all the way from Albuquerque to see the place, and that seemed to impress him although he's had visitors from New Zealand as well (I should point out that more than one Missourian I met on this trip seemed confused about the existence of a New Mexico, but 1984's owner was not one of them). Looking over his shoulder, I noticed an inoperative Star Castle machine (one of my favorites) and asked what was wrong with it. Excitedly, he pulled out the cab's refurbished PCB and monitor and told us that if we were willing to wait a bit he'd have the machine back up and running in a bit.

So we all played some more games (plenty to choose from) for another hour or two and eventually the Star Castle was up and running and we got first crack at it. I just thought that was extremely cool that the 1984 people were able to literally perform a cab restoration "while-u-wait".

Worth the trip, people.
    I wanted to say Thank You for the good review. And I remember that night! We had just got the final bits in for the Star Castle earlier that day. It is still working great, although for the moment our Pong is down needing a cap kit on the monitor.

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They have a gauntlet machine. Oh how I wish they located here!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Motherbrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap, I live in Kansas City (a few hours short away) and had never heard of this place. I think I'm going to take a trip this weekend!

(*drools over the prospect of playing Wizard of Wor*)

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm impressed. Nice cabinets with clean sides and non-beat-up art that wouldn't have looked out of place in 1984, and some very inventive decor for the place (which would've been more than impressive at the time).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Lucky, lucky you.

Around here, we have NOTHING- not even a "modern" arcade.

If any of you have a chance to visit such a place, by all means do so. It'll be well worth it.
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/