Thread: Discuss your stories of sibling/parent rivalry you've had with video game

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Discuss your stories of sibling/parent rivalry you've had with video game

My sister and my mom, would often play video games. We grew fond of the family favorites: "Mario" , "Donkey Kong" , etc. as i was growing up. I was always the most advanced gamer in the family, and often we would have "challenges" within the family to who can beat a game the fastest, or without dying, or without using a continue. along those lines. Recently, my mom has renewed this rivalry by offering up a challenge: She has to beat Mario 3 before i beat it without losing a single life (or using power ups). She's not very good and doesn't play very often, so i get plenty of chances to try. My sister joined in, and started playing Mario 3 as well. She wasn't part of the challenge, but she would often gloat how far she was on Mario 3. Tonight, I got as far as the airship in world 8 before I lost my first man. Anyhow, Discuss your family rivalry stories with video games, if you have any!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NEScollector1982 View Post
    My sister and my mom, would often play video games. We grew fond of the family favorites: "Mario" , "Donkey Kong" , etc. as i was growing up. I was always the most advanced gamer in the family, and often we would have "challenges" within the family to who can beat a game the fastest, or without dying, or without using a continue. along those lines. Recently, my mom has renewed this rivalry by offering up a challenge: She has to beat Mario 3 before i beat it without losing a single life (or using power ups). She's not very good and doesn't play very often, so i get plenty of chances to try. My sister joined in, and started playing Mario 3 as well. She wasn't part of the challenge, but she would often gloat how far she was on Mario 3. Tonight, I got as far as the airship in world 8 before I lost my first man. Anyhow, Discuss your family rivalry stories with video games, if you have any!

That's actually pretty cool. I wish the rest of my family was still that much into gaming, especially retro stuff. They used to be back in the NES era-- the 80s and early 90s. We had quite a bit of a rivalry in Tecmo Super Bowl. I was the best and everyone in the family would play and try to beat me. Then all of a sudden everyone just stopped wanting to play against me. Sometimes I think it was because they just got sick of losing all the time. Other times I think it was because of the time my dad cheated, and I killed him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Mine would be in Mario Kart 64. I sucked back then, and every time I was going to play by myself and do some training, my sister wants to play with me!

I'd refuse, but my mom wouldn't hear to it, because if my sister also wants to play, then we both have to play or neither of us get to.

However, eventually my skills got better and now I can easily beat her and my dad at the same time (My mom doesn't likle Mario Kart too much. She prefers Tetris, Pac-Man, and Mario Party)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

My brother was the one that introduced me to videogames sometime in 1985. He borrowed a Colecovision from one of his friends and I was introduced to Frogger and Q*Bert.

Years later, when I got a NES, we used to go rent games. He wasn't into many games at all because he didn't have the patience for them - except for Tetris. We used to play against each other's scores to see who would win. I beat him narrowly for years, but then I got a huge skill boost and he never got close to me again.

I got a PS2 a bit ago and a copy of Tetris Plus. I mostly play PS2 games and my brother asked me if I had anything he could play. I mentioned Tetris Plus and he was in heaven. And I kicked his ass again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I used to pause the game whenever I was just about to fall into a pit, and run and get my sister. Then I'd make her unpause it and blame her for killing me.

This is why to this day she prefers puzzle games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

As a child my sister was into video games - she hung out at the arcade and she had an Atari 2600 VCS. the thing is I never really liked it and only played a few games. Games like Combat, ET, Pac-Man, are games I remember and memories were not the best. My sister she is 7 years older than me and she graduated high school in 1987 the same summer I realized my first game console - the NES. Well she went away to college and I became pure Nintendo! in the summer of 1988 my sister was home from college and we enjoyed Super Mario Bros a bit. That was pretty much it. She did get a 7800 when she was at college but never really got into it like the 2600 and I now have in my possession that very 7800 console.

Today my 6 year old daughter and I enjoy playing games on the occasion (currently we are playing Batsugun - she can get to the 2nd level with out continue.)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me and my sis still occasionally argue over who gets the DS and when. But that's about it.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

My brother and I had an Atari 2600 back in 1982, and I rose quicker to mastery over it than he did. I became virtually unbeatable in Combat, to the point where one day my little brother threw down the stick and never played it with me again.

But my brother was not done with the issue. About 13 years ago the two of us, now adults, were sharing an apartment where I had acquired a second 2600 that we kept hooked up in the living room. One of the games we got a hold of with the system was Sky Diver which we'd never played before. An addictive game, Sky Diver became the focus of a new videogame rivalry between my brother and me. One day I had come home from the university and found my brother had left for work, but had left the TV and Atari on to let me know that he was the first of us to arrive at a perfect score of 99 on Sky Diver - a feat I have yet to accomplish . After all those years of living in the shadow of my tanks and planes, my little brother finally made his own indelible mark on the family's TV set.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 06-24-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading everyones posts here has jogged my memory and reminded me of the time that me and my little sister would fight over the chance to play Deadly Towers on the NES. We would go back and forth, and punch and kick over the chance to play, and it really was just getting on my nerves. To make matters worse, she also taught our cat how to play, and this cat would annoy the shit out of me because it would play for hours on end and never give anyone else a chance to play. "Selfish" is the term I would use to describe that pet. I was constantly competing with both of them for a chance to use the NES, and eventually I got fed up. So I set her on fire. Then I was able to play whenever I wanted.

There's a lot more to this fascinating story and I considered posting it in the LORE forum; until I realized that no one would ever believe it. Why would anyone fight over the chance to play Deadly Towers?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

When my sister and I first got the SNES, we played Super Mario World constantly, trying to see who would be the first to save the princess. We both kept dying at Bowser, but then one day, my sister finally beat him... before I did! It annoyed me to no end, and it was still a month later before I could finally beat him.
    Of course, fifteen years later, I remind my sister of this and she has no recollection of it.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the NES days, my brother and I used to go at it in Baseball Stars. Man, we had so much fun with that game. Trading and editing your players was awesome back then. This is one of the best baseball games ever made.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    ...had left the TV and Atari on to let me know that he was the first of us to arrive at a perfect score of 99 on Sky Diver ... my little brother finally made his own indelible mark on the family's TV set.
    Burn in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can honestly say that since I have no siblings, and my parents let me play as much as I wanted, that all my life I have ad a free gaming life with little problems (besides from my sometimes too excesive addictions to some games that I played nearly all day).

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, back during my 5th grade to early middle school years, my brother and I would go at it for the "Super Street Fighter II Championship". We rented it during the summer of '94 when it first came out, and played the "tournament" mode. He won, and became champion. So once I got it for my 10th birthday, I did what I could to challenge him for the title. Eventually I won by using Chun-Li against his Ryu.

A few weeks later after I won it, he demanded a rematch (a friend was borrowing it for awhile), and soundly beat me. Any time I played against him after that, I always wound up on the losing end.

Then from my 8th grade to my 9th grade years, we had a Tecmo Super Bowl rivalry going on. In our first encounter, 49ers vs. Cowboys, in a pre-season game in which I won, we did the 3-years mode. All three seasons, him and I met up in the NFC Championship game. He won the first time 23-3, and the other three NFC Championships were sorta close games. Then came Tecmo Super Bowl III, we went at it again. I lost during the regular season and the NFC Championship by 10 points each game, and he went on to win the SuperBowl.