Thread: Possible PS2 Lot Ebay Scam with confirmed address and Paypal seller protection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Default Possible PS2 Lot Ebay Scam with confirmed address and Paypal seller protection?

Ok, I'm in an interesting situation. I just sold through "Buy It Now", a Playstaion 2 lot for around $200. Due to MANY recent scam artists on my auctions, I was advised to accept instant payment upon purchase. Well, a "new" Ebay user with 0 feedback has bought my item and sent me an instant payment through Paypal. Well, Paypal has confirmed his address and the transaction qualifies for seller protection. What I am worried about is that I can't find any info on this guy online (except some records of people with similar names from Mexico). This guy lives in Revere, MA (no where near Mexico). I know that at times, it's hard to find some people's info online and everyone has to start at 0 feedback sometimes. Since Paypal has qualified me for protection and the address is confirmed, will signature confirmation and insurance assure me from getting conned in this situation? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and this guy completed another transaction a few hours ago for a $25 pair of pants. I don't know if that means much, but just in case I will throw that info in there.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I have sold many things on ebay, and I never once checked someone's information out before sending them stuff (personal information I mean). If they have paypal protection, I feel safter, but if they're not verified I'll just be a little nervous about it.

Just because someone has 0 feedback, doesn't mean they're a scammer. Just deposit the money into your bank account and get a delivery confirmation or have them sign for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If biding reaches over $50 I will require a background check.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Due to MANY recent scam artists on my auctions, I was advised to accept instant payment upon purchase.
    How does requiring immediate payment on an item stop scams? All it does is stop non-paying bidders. If you want to stop scams, only ship to confirmed addresses.

Well, Paypal has confirmed his address and the transaction qualifies for seller protection. What I am worried about is that I can't find any info on this guy online
    So? Not everyone has public records available for easy searching on the internet.

Since Paypal has qualified me for protection and the address is confirmed, will signature confirmation and insurance assure me from getting conned in this situation?
    All you need is a valid tracking/confirmation number. You don't need to signature confirm it or purchase insurance unless the buyer requested/paid for it. If you're mailing your item via USPS, simply getting Delivery Confirmation will cover you.

Don't be so paranoid. Not everyone is out to get you. Just stay safe and follow Paypal's rules for Seller Protection eligibility. You'll be fine.