Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I hate Warez!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing I've noticed in regards to modded consoles or flash carts, is that I end up having hundreds of games for a particular system, and the big problem with that for me, is that there is just TOO MUCH SELECTION. Too many options. Take the Saturn for example. I probably have like 200 or so Saturn games. Every time I go over to the shelf where they are, I normally decide to try a game I haven't really played with, just because it's there. Instead of getting deeper into one that I know I love. I call it the "Dip your toe in the Water Phenomenom". When you have hundreds of games for a particular system, often times, you end up dipping your toe into tons of different waters. Yet, you never get deep into the water on anything. Too much variety, and too many options can be a bad thing.

This is also true with actual legal, physical copies of games. Sure, I have some CD-R's, but I've also got tons of legit games as well. Tons of various systems, and tons of games. When you have too many damn options, then it's hard to really focus in on any one thing. I could never add another single game to my collection, and I would have enough games to keep me busy for 30 years, if not more.

Of course, on the flip side of the coin, I've also been in situations in which I only had a handful of games, and although I would get deeper into those games, sometimes it would get to the point where I just didn't feel like playing those damn games, but they were all I had. Almost like I would look at the games sitting there and get pissed off at them. Like... "I don't want to play you again, bitch!". So, it's kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Emulation is good to see something you might buy, it might help influence you to buy a game that otherwise you might never have.

Emulation has helped me decide quite a few purchases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I feel the same way. Although I do (As many of us do) own various ROM's, I will always revert to playing games I own over those I have downloaded. Ie, I have all the Mega Drive titles that I have in cart form also as ROM's, but I never play those ROM's, and always wire up my Mega Drive to play them.

Likewise, I have a copy of Symphony Of The Night on my computer which I started to play via ePSXe, but after about fifteen minutes I decided to dig out the actual PlayStation game and boot up the PlayStation instead, and thus played it right through until the end!

There's also something about having a game's box and manual, and being able to play it with the original controller that makes it feel all that more real. I don't understand people who pay to download games for Virtual Console or XBLA, when this is exactly the same as downloading a ROM, except for the fact that the VC and XBLA are actually legal to do. In either case, you are still minus the box and manual, so it's no different.

Some games are actually improved with playing them as ROM's though. The added extra features that emulator's allow make games a little more bearable, with save states and double speed modes etc. Some games i've played recently I have had to rely on these features. Plus, they can save time in the long run as many games have tedious sections which would be time consuming on the original console. Eg, Golden Sun The Lost Age: Travelling around the globe is boring, and the speed up mode makesit a little less tedious. Castlevania Circle Of The Moon has some damn hard sections too, and save states have saved a lot of needless resetting and running from point to point and back again

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.. if you dont enjoy playing ROMS, just delete them (i see you did) and keep buying the games, problem solved If you test a ROM and find a game you really like, just buy the game and play the original if thats the only way you can enjoy it. But if you test a ROM and find the game damn boring, would you still buy it? It would still be added to your collection tho, but playwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I resulted to downloading roms when I was younger, mainly because I did not have a job, thus not having the enough money to spend on my gaming. Now I buy the originals when I get the chance, but still use emulation since it's easier than tracking some games down. You also can't forget about prototypes and fan translations, they're the most important reason for emulation.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I pirate tons of stuff and also buy games with (quite often literally) my last dollar. I prefer the originals, sure, but sometimes emulation has it's benefits (speeding up long games via cheating, playing hacks, MAME, using alternate controllers, being able to get at graphics you like, "safer" saving, the list goes on).

Personally I don't think the merit of a game is based entirely on playing an original copy, however there are many that a real copy will enhance the experience. And I too have bought things and played burns instead, for the sake of keeping stuff sealed / pristine. You will also find out about tons of new games you would not have otherwise heard of via downloading things, especially imports.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I've always been a collector of both - I buy the games I really want to have, and download and burn the "throwaway" titles. I can count dozens of games where I've downloaded, played for awhile and decided to go buy a copy. In fact just to be a little weird I've taken to just leaving the copy I buy sealed half the time.

I think ROMs/burns have their place in collecting and potentially a very useful one. But they can very quickly wear out a system's desirability - that I agree with. I still want to own the games I love - and some I just want to own.
    An excellent assessment. Agreed 110%.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand where the OP is coming from, but for me, whether I pay for something or get it for free doesn't make much of a difference anymore. Half of my retail games are still in the shrinkwrap while I play the shit out of old ROMs on my computer. I still buy just as many games, but I play just as much pirated stuff as I do legit stuff.

The real problem for me is choosing something to play. I have so much stuff, both legit and pirated, that I just can't decide. I have so many games I'm only half-interested in that it's hard to get into anything. When I was a kid with no money and no access to free games, I played what I had and enjoyed it. Now I just get overwhelmed by the options and wind up playing the same dozen or so of my favorite games.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a Max Media Dock recently as well. I'm rather amazed that I haven't had the urge to dl commercial roms so far. I've spend most of my time searching for the best possible emu's (nesDS, SNEmulDS and DSMasterPlus are what I'm running now) and sampling some homebrew games and apps. Well, the homebrew stuff isn't going very well because 95% of what I've come across doesn't work on a MMD/CF. Back on topic here...

I use emus/roms quite frequently and it all comes down to these basic aspects. First, archiving what I've played, liked and plan to purchase. I toss out alot of the roms I get in GoodSets or rom packs. For example, the only thing of less value than the retail release of That's So Raven 2 is the rom... even though it's not by much. Second is the convienance issues. Sometimes firing up an emu is quicker, easier and less irritating. No dealing with hardware, wires, passthrough devices, region switches/devices... I could go on but, you get the idea. Then there is the aspect that devices like the MMD bring. I have a GG with a MasterGear Converter and a Nomad for playing my Sega 8/16bit console games "In the Field" but, there is no real solution such as this for NES/SNES games. That is the void that the MMD has filed in my game collection. Not to mention the added benefit of double duty GG and SMS gaming with the DS. Now I don't have to lug all that shit with me to play Wonderboy 3. When a decent Gen/MD emu, and Tg16/PCe emu becomes available it will take care of all my portable console gaming needs. That's valuable to me, at least. The last aspect is the games I want to play that are too rare for me to find, were not released in the US and/or too expensive for me to buy. While games like these take time, money and patience to track down and nab, they are readily available for emulation and flashcarts. At least I get to see what all the fuss is about. So it is possible to dodge the pitfalls of piracy while embracing it's greater benefits. For me, roms and the like are placeholders for where I want my collection to go down the road and for playing the games I already own in a different way.

I also agree, wholeheartedly, with a previous poster. MAME is up there on my needs list... along with love & affection, shelter, air, water and food. This whole topic depends on your own personal view and ethics/morality though. If your conscience nags at you it's more than likely better to just delete the stuff. Nice topic, Cmtz. Kudos.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-26-2007 at 04:52 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am (was) probably the biggest "roms'er" in NJ, but there is always something lacking from not having the physical game. Not having the nice box art, the manual, or the value of a collection is one thing. Plus, the good feeling that you are supporting the developers of games that you enjoy is good too.

I initially played everything on emulators/pirate devices, but eventually ended up just "using" these devices as a tool to decide which games I would be purchasing.

Warezing is neat-o, but nothing beats owning the original title.