Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tengen tetris VS. Nintendo's tetris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PSXFerrari, you've made your point and there's no need to repeat it.

Anyway, I would recommend the Nintendo version, with the Tengen version being something to pick up on a multicart. Aside from the inflated price and lackluster 2-player gameplay you get with the Tengen version, it also has a very gradual speed increase that makes it really drag on. By the time you have 100 lines in Nintendo Tetris, the pieces are falling at drop-speed, whereas you need to get several hundred lines in Tengen Tetris in order to reach the same speed.
    Even if you want to play with a bunch of people, the Tengen game is lacking because turns take forever, and there's no way to restart a two-player match, making head-to-head sort of pointless.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Note: You said posts, not threads, so you should follow your word due to technicality. So don't go on trying to say you meant threads, it was also a pretty crummy scavenger hunt.

So do I win the grand prize?

Yippie Ki Yay

Oh man, you took me up on the challenge. That's awesome. But calling it a crummy scavenger hunt? Dude, don't be a plant. Just admit that it was awesome and you had a blast. You're right, I made it posts instead of threads to make it even EASIER on you. Let's see what you turned up:

"When will this worthless topic finally die, along with whoever started it?"
    I was hoping you would find this one but it's the only other one I could think of. And you're right, it was insulting to another member, so it counts. Insult #1.

"Even more annoying is the fact that it can never die because some idiot would always revive it to tell people how he played Lost Planet for 2 hours today. Anyone care?"
    I don't get it. Who does this insult? Yes, I use the word idiot but it's not directed at anyone. It's just used generally. It was presenting a possible scenario; not actually making an insult directed at someone.

"Alright, anyways, I've made my point but this is a message board so everyone is going to post retarded no matter what. So since no one is going to learn how to give advice and I've only managed to successfully piss off all the terrible posters here, I will quit now while I'm behind. I realize I went a little overboard in defense of my beliefs, and apologize to all the decent posters out there."
    Dude, let's be serious here. Obviously you can't use posts from this topic. I could pick out like a dozen insults from here and kick myself out. As I said: "Now you show me three posts besides this one where I legitimately insulted someone without merit, and I will leave myself." I said "besides this one" meaning besides posts in this topic, but I realize it was misleading and made it sound like I meant only that single post (which doesn't make much sense because that post wasn't insulting). Nonetheless, not using this thread should be common sense. Even if you want to get technical, I'm still curious who that post insults? It's not directed at a specific person or even at DP itself-- it's directed at the entire concept of message boards. Something like that is so broad that it ends up insulting no one at all.

You must have not gone back very far if you couldn't find 3. There's gotta be something there. If you find another 2 (or convince me to use those second two), I will stand by my word and leave. Always stand by my word. And I'll go into retirement.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    PSXFerrari, you've made your point and there's no need to repeat it.

Anyway, I would recommend the Nintendo version, with the Tengen version being something to pick up on a multicart. Aside from the inflated price and lackluster 2-player gameplay you get with the Tengen version, it also has a very gradual speed increase that makes it really drag on. By the time you have 100 lines in Nintendo Tetris, the pieces are falling at drop-speed, whereas you need to get several hundred lines in Tengen Tetris in order to reach the same speed.
    Even if you want to play with a bunch of people, the Tengen game is lacking because turns take forever, and there's no way to restart a two-player match, making head-to-head sort of pointless.

First of all, good advice. Second of all, I'm not repeating my point. I dropped my point way earlier in this topic (and other people are continuing it by even bringing it up). All I'm trying to do now is sponsor a good old fanshioned scavenger hunt, DP-style. I think it'll start a good trend. Every time there's an idiot member on the board, the Mods should sponsor a scavenger hunt to find 3 ban-worthy posts from the guy and then he get booted. It makes bans way more fun. Plus, it's the best grand prize ever. Similarly, on Easter they should hide real Easter eggs throughout the board, and whoever finds the most wins a chocolate bunny. Second greatest prize ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    First of all, good advice. Second of all, I'm not repeating my point. I dropped my point way earlier in this topic (and other people are continuing it by even bringing it up). All I'm trying to do now is sponsor a good old fanshioned scavenger hunt, DP-style. I think it'll start a good trend. Every time there's an idiot member on the board, the Mods should sponsor a scavenger hunt to find 3 ban-worthy posts from the guy and then he get booted. It makes bans way more fun. Plus, it's the best grand prize ever. Similarly, on Easter they should hide real Easter eggs throughout the board, and whoever finds the most wins a chocolate bunny. Second greatest prize ever.
    Gallagher used to have this bit that went that every driver should get a gun that shot suction cup "Stupid" signs that you could shoot at other drivers. So, by example, if you're driving and someone cuts you off or doesn't go when a light turns green or turns without using a blinker or whatever, you shoot them with a Stupid sign. Then, if a cop sees that someone has three or more Stupid signs on their car, they pull them over and give them a ticket for being an asshole.

Then he would smash a watermelon.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

You must have not gone back very far if you couldn't find 3. There's gotta be something there. If you find another 2 (or convince me to use those second two), I will stand by my word and leave. Always stand by my word. And I'll go into retirement.
    All of them are insulting in one way or another. You called people terrible posters, that's an insult to a group of people. You also called whoever revives the thread an idiot, which is an insult to whoever posts after you. So yes, it would be insulting by technicality. I figured you'd argue about it, which is why I did it in the first place, since nobody ever follows that kind of statement when they say it.

Nobody is saying leave, you should just chill the hell out and stop being judgmental.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    All of them are insulting in one way or another. You called people terrible posters, that's an insult to a group of people. You also called whoever revives the thread an idiot, which is an insult to whoever posts after you. So yes, it would be insulting by technicality. I figured you'd argue about it, which is why I did it in the first place, since nobody ever follows that kind of statement when they say it.

Nobody is saying leave, you should just chill the hell out and stop being judgmental.

So does that mean we don't get to have the Easter egg hunt either?

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

How about cutting the cat fights here and steer the topic back to a good old-fashioned debate, minus the name calling shall we?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    However, I prefer the Tengen version. It's closest to the original arcade machine, if that matters to you. Multiplayer and music are a nice plus, too. The only downside is that it's pricey.
    Ding ding ding. Tengen Tetris and Nintendo Tetris is like comparing apples to oranges. The Tengen version is an enhanced port of the arcade game. Nintendo Tetris is a heavy rework of their craptastic Famicom Tetris game. (which is a god-awful, lackluster port of early PC Tetris with horrible controls)

In case you want a head to head comparison of Tengen Tetris against the arcade original, I took a look at it back in Retrogaming Times Monthly issue 11. (excuse the poor formatting as seen on most browsers, was a rough time for RTM then)

Still, I just think that people should offer good advice or no advice at all.
    I think you should do that second one.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 06-26-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So does that mean we don't get to have the Easter egg hunt either?
    Just quit antagonizing people already. Keeping people away from the topic at hand with scavenger hunts and easter egg garbage is just as bad as all the insults. You want to make a contest to ban you? Then make a thread for it and get out of here.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Holy fucking shit people, grow up.

Someone lock this already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

The OP should consider a third option:

RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    Just quit antagonizing people already. Keeping people away from the topic at hand with scavenger hunts and easter egg garbage is just as bad as all the insults. You want to make a contest to ban you? Then make a thread for it and get out of here.

Dude, why are you continuing this? Now you're being worse than me. I dropped it about 2 days ago and no one is still being antagonized (except you apparently). But your trying to act like a tough guy and it's not very impressive. And yeah, great idea on starting a whole thread about a scavenger hunt to ban myself.... I'm sure the mods wouldn't close that right away...

But the easter egg idea is still on whether you like it or not. You can be like everyone else here by intelligently and maturely ignoring me, or you can continue trying to antagonize me to keep the argument going. Like everyone else, you should know better than to bring yourself down to my idiot level. So I already dropped it man; I don't know why you're keeping this going while everyone else has gone back to debating the topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here's a semi off-topic (what topic?) question. I've never bothered to pick up any of the tetris ports since the nes/game boy version because I just assumed they were all half-assed cash-in attempts. but do any of them actually bring something new to the table and improve on the game without making it feel gimicky?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I've never bothered to pick up any of the tetris ports since the nes/game boy version because I just assumed they were all half-assed cash-in attempts. but do any of them actually bring something new to the table and improve on the game without making it feel gimicky?
    Tetris DX for Game Boy Color received high ratings and positive reviews, but I believe it's just an enhanced version of the original Tetris cartridge.

Tetris Attack was renamed Pokemon Puzzle League for Nintendo 64 and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge for Game Boy Color. The gameplay, although different from Tetris, is a lot of fun. It's an excellent, highly-rated puzzle series.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here's a semi off-topic (what topic?) question. I've never bothered to pick up any of the tetris ports since the nes/game boy version because I just assumed they were all half-assed cash-in attempts. but do any of them actually bring something new to the table and improve on the game without making it feel gimicky?

I checked this out on GameRankings. I can't personally vouch for any of these games but they all had high overall rankings: Tetris Attack (SNES, 90%), Tetrisphere & The New Tetris (N64; 86%, 82%), and most recently Tetris DS (86%). Based on the scores they must all be bringing something besides the same old formula and might be worth looking into. I own Tetris Attack but have never tried it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Dude, why are you continuing this? Now you're being worse than me. I dropped it about 2 days ago and no one is still being antagonized (except you apparently). But your trying to act like a tough guy and it's not very impressive. And yeah, great idea on starting a whole thread about a scavenger hunt to ban myself.... I'm sure the mods wouldn't close that right away...

But the easter egg idea is still on whether you like it or not. You can be like everyone else here by intelligently and maturely ignoring me, or you can continue trying to antagonize me to keep the argument going. Like everyone else, you should know better than to bring yourself down to my idiot level. So I already dropped it man; I don't know why you're keeping this going while everyone else has gone back to debating the topic.
    Is this "Shenmue Fan"? It sure sounds like him. Same intelligent sounding posts that he only makes to get under the skin of others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Forget Tetris, it's Hatris or nothing!!!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

As I said before, I'm done with my ranting, so even if I was an idiot before I'll be the mature one now and end it.
    Posted 6/26, 2:36 AM.

Number of posts since that time: 6.

It's obvious you're trolling, both here and in other threads(most notably the 'what are you playing?' thread). If the way things are posted and answered here bothers you, perhaps this is not the place for you. Attempting to lay groundwork for some sort of bizarre coup d'état in regards to posting style is a waste of your time, the OP's time, and everyone else's. Hell, I'm wasting my own time typing this to a person who's supposedly resigned themselves from further conversation regarding the topic.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tetrisphere for the n64 is a completely new game. It's excellent and can usually be found for just a few dollars. There are interesting puzzles along with great graphics and sound.

Also, Tetris DS offers online play and Push mode, both of which are very fun and addictive.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

The Next Tetris on PSX adds breakaway pieces that can fall down. The pieces can be made up of two colors. Like colors will meld together, while unlike colors will fall further if not resting on any other pieces. Quite fun.

I personally love the New Tetris on N64. It started the whole 'piece save' idea, and utilizes a technique called 'perfect square'. Squares of 6x6 or larger can be created to form large squares that are worth more points. Plus, the 4-player mode is amazing.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.