Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Default Tips & Tricks no more??!

After the whole Nintendo Power drama a few months ago, it seems another magazine is about to hit the grave.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rip-t%26t/t...axe-272573.php

I loved that magazine, as well as it's long deceased predecessor, Videogames magazine. And it's got a connection to DP as well, via Collector's Closet (though, it slowly shrank in size over time and soon became repetious)

But I'm even more upset over the shitty way the publishers are essentially firing the staff behind their backs. Uncool.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust, this magazine will be sorely missed.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

=( = ( = (

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sucks, but it is not unexpected. Over the last year, the magazine has been desperately searching for an audience. With the inclusion of all the new columns, (comics, action figures, anime) the mag has slowly moved away from what made it great to begin with.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that I will miss it when it's gone. Tips and Tricks is one of the few gaming mags that I always seek out when perusing the magazine rack.
    My SEGA racers at Arcade Crusade!

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm.....honestly, I stopped reading when Betty Hallock left. Man she was cute.....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is sad. I found this website through Tips & Tricks (I think the owner of DP does the Collector's Closet).

I might go pick up the latest issue, as a last hurrah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo Power drama?

Sorry, I must have missed that. Can someone fill me in?
    I am subscribed to NP until the year 2015. They better not stop production!

SpooNMan
    www.videogameobsession.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a free sub to Tips & Tricks that ended a couple months back. Collector's Closet wasn't the same after Joe's last contribution, but otherwise, it was a decent mag. But with GameFAQs and the like, I knew it was just a matter of time.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

The only reason I really ever read that mag is for Joe's contribution. The Japan section was decent too.

Sad to see it go.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn I liked that magazine.... I will grab the last issue as well. damnit.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    After the whole Nintendo Power drama a few months ago
    Eh? What's this then?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Tips and Tricks included a small write up on my book Commodork a month or two ago, for which I will always be grateful. I've often wondered how such a mag could compete with the web, where sites like gamefaqs.com have millions of tips and tricks for free.

Didn't I hear that they changed editors just a month or two ago and Kunkel took over? I wonder what happened. I know a lot of people were looking forward to seeing Bill at the helm, and I thought the previous guy (his name escapes me) did a pretty good job too. Bummer. I hate to see anything that adds to the community go away.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    The only reason I really ever read that mag is for Joe's contribution. The Japan section was decent too.

Sad to see it go.
    Ditto. I was close to subscribe to the the mag after buying it often in stores when Joe Santulli wasn't responsible anymore for the collector's closet. A very dumb move in my opinion since this column besides others set the mag apart from other magazines. The column from that point on was decent but not enough to warrant a buy. I never subscribed or bought the mag again.

The basic concept of short strategy guides of the mag is a good one albeit anachronistic -- great for the 80s and 90s when NP delivered something similar, obsolete today when for every mediocre game a published strategy guide is offered and additionally the Internet provides the same information.

Today you have to go the route of GameInformer, otherwise I can't see how a print mag could survive.
    Last edited by lendelin; 06-27-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you F$#&ing kidding me?

I just sent my subscription renewal this morning!!!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. Just wow. This really blows. For starters, in case people didn't realize, Bill Kunkel has been the editor in chief for the past several issues. I thought he was doing a great job taking it in a new direction. The articles were fun to read and not totally geard towards little kids. I don't get why they don't let Bill do the job he was brought in to do.

On a side note I'm REALLY bummed about this because I had a four-page article slated to run in an upcoming issue. It was going to be my first freelance job in print and on a newsstand. Well, there goes that glory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sucks but its not very surprising.

After the demise of Gamefan all those years ago I really havent read any print magazine on a regular basis since then.

I was wondering how this magazine was still turning a profit for the last oh say 6-7 years with all the free websites like Gamefaqs , Gamewinners the list goes on.

I luved Tips and Tricks when I was a teen and still enjoyed the collectors stuff but it really seemed to lack quality content lately anyway.

I guess that pretty much puts print magazines out with me since the only topics print mags like EGM and now even GameInformer like to publish is HALO , Gears of War and the like.

Its nothing but MAINSTREAM FLUFF now as far as video game print magazines go.

The end of an era wich I think ended with magazines like Gamefan anyway.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tips & Tricks: The Real Story

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Tips and Tricks included a small write up on my book Commodork a month or two ago, for which I will always be grateful. I've often wondered how such a mag could compete with the web, where sites like gamefaqs.com have millions of tips and tricks for free.

Didn't I hear that they changed editors just a month or two ago and Kunkel took over? I wonder what happened. I know a lot of people were looking forward to seeing Bill at the helm, and I thought the previous guy (his name escapes me) did a pretty good job too. Bummer. I hate to see anything that adds to the community go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cav View Post
    Wow. Just wow. This really blows. For starters, in case people didn't realize, Bill Kunkel has been the editor in chief for the past several issues. I thought he was doing a great job taking it in a new direction. The articles were fun to read and not totally geard towards little kids. I don't get why they don't let Bill do the job he was brought in to do.

On a side note I'm REALLY bummed about this because I had a four-page article slated to run in an upcoming issue. It was going to be my first freelance job in print and on a newsstand. Well, there goes that glory.
    BILL: First off, the reports that were mirrored off Jeb's ravings in Joystiq, etc. are largely inaccurate. I was brought in as a consultant last fall because T&T couldn't last with all that free content on the web. After looking at the situation I recommended that LFP sell the magazine, since there was an offer on the table. But Larry didn't want to sell and they wanted to know what I'd do if I had to try and save the magazine. I said it had to be brought up to date (the site was a joke and there wasn't even an email address). I felt there had to be a quality website. I wanted computer games covered, and I suggested more "lifestyle" columns (such as Mark Johnson's unique look at game-based action figures, Anatole Brown's Japan Report, Collector's Closet, etc.) and fewer columns based around a single game franchise. Finally, I introduced feature articles on subjects that weren't being covered in the other game mags, like careers in gaming, game colleges, competitive pro gaming, etc. We also got out the first serious coverage of Shadowrun (with tips from and interviews with the developers) and I had just, with the help of Anatole (who speaks fluent Japanese), fulfilled a life's dream by interviewing Nishikado-san, creator of Space Invaders.

But the fact is the magazine just wasn't selling. Within about 6-7 months we reached a point where I was really proud of what we'd done, but the readership was still sliding downhill.

There were no secret deals to fire people while they were covering E3 or any of Jeb's hysterical nonsense. In fact, before I was let go, I urged that the staff be informed of the situation before E3 so they'd have a chance to hustle up new gigs. And I can not imagine people like Anatole, Mark, Chris, Abbie and Geoff Arnold not being able to get work in the industry. And our AD, Lisa Beattie, is the most talented art director in the game magazine business.

I know that serious attempts were made to get better severance packages for the staff, especially for someone like Chris who endured throughout 15 years with LFP and is now a freelancer, but that was Larry's decision and it's his money.

I have no idea what the "Dear John" letter that was supposedly pre-released to the staff refers to since I was running the magazine and no one mentioned it to me. Sure I wish that LFP would have either sold the magazine to a company that was prepared to go all the way with the reconstruction or gone all the way himself, so to speak, but that magazine was kept alive for years after the point where it had stopped making money and was being destroyed by the Internet. Just ask EGM, which is not likely to be here this time next year.

I was personally treated very well at LFP (they let me edit from home for two weeks and then flew me out to LA for a week to work out of the office for almost a year; how many publishers would go for a deal like that?). They paid me very well and were totally supportive of my changes. I am grateful that they gave me a chance to get back in the world of print and I hope the people who feel T&T was just a washed-up codebook get to take a look at the eight issues published this year, because I'm certainly proud of them.

Bottom line, I'll be at CGE and can give you all the whole story. Meanwhile, the upside is that Commodork, which everyone seems to love, got a bump and Cav's story on the best arcades in America will indeed appear in the 150th and final issue of T&T.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always liked this mag along with PSM. Just for the sole reason that my cousin had a sub to the magazine for years and always gave them to me once he read them. And PSM becuase back in the day they were only a dollar an issue, I stoped subscribing after the price went up, and after I found gamefaqs.
    It doesnt suprise me though, because I havent read either of these magazine since I got a PC and the internet.
    I mean a product that is SOLD can beat a product that is GIVEN away. (ex. Gamefaqs and what-not are free)
    Last edited by Clong; 06-27-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for posting the real story, Bill. I still wish your run could have gone a little longer though. You can definitely be proud of your issues. I'm glad I get to be a part of the final one. See ya at CGE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's really terrible what is happening to publications because of the internet. I love reading game mags, and it really brings back the good ol' days for me. Not only that, I can't stand surfing the net on the bowl