Thread: Nintendo more valuable than Sony?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Nintendo more valuable than Sony?

This was posted by Shane Monroe on the Retrogaming Radio forum. He said it well, so I'll just copy his post-

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) briefly zipped past Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) in market capitalization on Monday to become one of Japan's 10 most valuable companies as it elbows the PlayStation maker out of its decade-long dominance of the game industry.

Nintendo joined global household names such as Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research), Honda Motor Co. (7267.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and Canon Inc. (7751.T: Quote, Profile, Research) on the top-10 list before its shares erased earlier gains and ended the day lower.

So, let me see if I get this right ...

Nintendo - a company that ONLY deals with video game hardware and software (make the FIRST party software for it's OWN hardware) managed to eek above Sony - a company that does everything from movies to music to video games to consumer electronics to television - in market value? If even for a short time on one day?

I'm not sure if people fully understand the magnitude of this event ...
    Here- http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...S&pageNumber=1

I like it.
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 06-26-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) Iroquois Pliskin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    S0LID SAMURAI

ok I'm just going to say this right off the bat. Let's not have a flame war about which company is better sony or nintendo. That would be childish and immature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iroquois Pliskin View Post
    That would be childish and immature.
    You left out "fun"!

Cherry (Level 1) Iroquois Pliskin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    S0LID SAMURAI

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    You left out "fun"!
    prove it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kind of nuts considering everyone thought Nintendo would go out of buisness not so long ago. :P

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love it more. Feel the burn!

I'd like to know how many units they are selling of the DS and Wii in countries other than Japan. That info is near impossible to pull from a reliable source though.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read that of the few systems out in Korea, the DS is the only one that sells.

Wii will be out over there next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I love it more. Feel the burn!

I'd like to know how many units they are selling of the DS and Wii in countries other than Japan. That info is near impossible to pull from a reliable source though.
    I think this is the best site out there for that:
    http://www.vgchartz.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So when Sony was "winning" the video game war, were you guys depressed and unhappy all the time? I mean if you take so much joy out of one company selling more units than the other I assume you take it just as bad when they are not.

Of the top 15 rated games on that website 14 are Nintendo games and twilight princesses is on there twice in Wii form #2 and GC form #13. Little pro Nintendo , do you think??
    Last edited by Hep038; 06-27-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

It makes sense when you think about it. Nintendo does almost all of their business in video game related ventures.............and does it better than any of their competitors (from a market capitalization standpoint). Sony on the other hand, is getting their A$$ handed to them by companies like Samsung and LG in the important non-game related electronics market, while not doing so well in the game related market either.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't want Sony to go out of business or anything. On the contrary, I want them to put out the best products they possibly can, so that I can love them just like I did in the PS1 and PS2 days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Absolutely. Biased fanboyism is all part of the fun!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    So when Sony was "winning" the video game war, were you guys depressed and unhappy all the time? I mean if you take so much joy out of one company selling more units than the other I assume you take it just as bad when they are not.
    I do tend to get depressed when I think of the kinda stuff sony does to my lifelong hobby, yeah. Sure there's good ps2/psx games...IN JAPAN AND EUROPE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eteric Rice View Post
    Kind of nuts considering everyone thought Nintendo would go out of buisness not so long ago.
    Ignorant video game "journalists" strike again! Nintendo has always been a hugely profitable company and its games have consistently topped yearly sales charts. The Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., and Pokemon series are still very popular. Animal Crossing and Nintendogs, too. At the very least, Nintendo would never go out of business and give up the portable market.

Despite the fact that Nintendo didn't sell the most hardware in the last two generations of home consoles, they still made tons of money and were nowhere near going out of business.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-28-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I read that article a couple days ago and I'm glad that nintendo is making a comeback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Members of the financial press have been tripping over themselves to see who would be the first to chronicle that Nintendo (NTDOY.PK) has surpassed Sony (SNE) in market capitalization to become the 10th largest company in Japan. This imaginary horse race has captured the attention of numerous observers and been blown out of proportion. Well, on Friday, June 29, 2007 The Asahi Shimbun announced:

Nintendo Co. on Thursday (June 2 exceeded Sony Corp. in terms of market capitalization, ranking it among the nation's 10 largest companies in aggregate market value. Nintendo finished the day at 45,050 yen per share, which valued the company at 6.38 trillion yen, above archrival Sony's 6.24 trillion yen. Sony closed at 6,220 yen per share on Thursday.

Unfortunately, this declaration was wrong for two reasons. First, Nintendo’s stock price at the close of trading on the Tokyo Stock Exchange [TSE] was 44,950, not 45,050. Second, and more importantly, Asahi Shimbun, in its rush to declare Nintendo the winner, failed to use the proper number of shares of stock.
    The market capitalization (MarketCap) of a stock is defined as the share price times the number of shares outstanding. It is not the share price times the number of shares issued nor is it the share price times the number of shares authorized. Nintendo has reported that on March 31, 2007 it had 127,903,013 shares of common stock outstanding, while Sony has reported that it had 1,002,062,405 shares outstanding on that same date.
    A correct calculation of market capitalizations using the June 29, 2007 Tokyo Stock Exchange closing prices of 44,900 yen for Nintendo and 6,330 yen for Sony shows that the MarketCap of Sony is 6,232,828,159,000 yen or $50.603 billion U.S. (123.17 yen=$1), while the MarketCap of Nintendo is 5,749,240,434,000 yen or $46.677 billion.
    While their MarketCaps are close, Sony and Nintendo are vastly different companies. Nintendo is highly acclaimed worldwide as a video game company that has a proven track record of producing breakthrough hardware systems and immensely popular, propriety games. Its current focus is on growing the gaming market so it can sell more game products, since almost 100% of its revenue comes from the video game industry. Its sales increased 89% in fiscal 2007 and its net income rose 77%.
    By contrast, the video game segment of Sony’s business accounted for only 12.3% of its total revenue in 2007. Its video game sales increased 6.1% and the game segment of Sony’s business produced an operating loss of $1.97 billion.

Reposting this for the guy who made the thread that was locked. The Mod forgot to put a link to this thread.