Thread: What's your take on the newest GTA IV trailer?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's your take on the newest GTA IV trailer?

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot that trailer was coming out. >.< Thanks for the link. I like it alot better than the first teaser, it's nice to have some in game shots (though I must saw, compared to the environments the character models look hideous.) I'm liking the setting alot more than I did for San Andreas (just couldn't get into the hiphop/ghetto vibe) and it looks like their focusing on the plot moreso than in the other games.

Can't wait.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    I'm liking the setting alot more than I did for San Andreas (just couldn't get into the hiphop/ghetto vibe)
    That's kinda funny you say that, cause I swear your avatar looks like it was taken directly from the San Andreas cover.

I think the trailer looks great, although pretty much what I expected. It also looks like they have the mouths perfectly synced with the voice. Far too few games have that down.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, my personal interest in GTA IV has dropped slightly after watching this trailer. It's still a day 1 full-pop purchase without question, but it's looking more and more ordinary every time I see it. The character models do seem a bit out of place with the backgrounds. They kinda have a washed out look to them. When I saw the very first trailer, I kinda had that, "Oh my God this is going to be incredible" feeling. I thought the game was going to dramatically push the boundries forward, from what we've been seeing so far with 360 and PS3 games. After seeing this second trailer, it's more like....back to reality. Don't get it wrong, everything looks good, and I'm sure it's going to be a blast to play, but this game doesn't appear to be lightyears beyond Saint's Row. After watching the first trailer, I was thinking that Saint's Row was the work of amateurs and that GTA IV is going to blow that completely out of the water, but after seeing this, it appears that this is just going to be another very good sandbox game with some next-level visuals. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but GTA IV isn't going to have anywhere near the impact on Next-Gen consoles that the first GTA III had with the PS2.

At least that's my take after watching it like 6 times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I still say GTA IV is going to suffer from the "Crackdown effect". Using vehicles to get around and being essentially earthbound will just seem boring when compared to jumping from skyscraper to skyscraper or taking someone out from across the map with a heat-seaking rocket 30 stories up. Even Just Cause had parachutes and a grappling gun.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

All I can say is, I hope they fix the framerate.

Choppy as hell...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Much better than the first trailer, and looks very good for a game of this size.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

After finally getting a chance to check it out...I'm just that much more excited by this release. I can see some serious hours getting put into this game. Mercenaries 2 will own this game (of course), but it still looks great.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I still say GTA IV is going to suffer from the "Crackdown effect". Using vehicles to get around and being essentially earthbound will just seem boring when compared to jumping from skyscraper to skyscraper or taking someone out from across the map with a heat-seaking rocket 30 stories up. Even Just Cause had parachutes and a grappling gun.
    I agree, but I think I've had enough time off from Crackdown (1200 achievement points, I'm a loser) to be able to get into this without a problem. I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't looking forward to Crackdown 2 more than I am this, even though it hasn't been anounced.

This trailer looks pretty badass though, it seems like the protagonist is going to have a strictly defined personality and purpose within the game, something you don't really see too often. More often than not its, "You are hero, save things!" so it'll be refreshing to be able to really connect with a character with a driven purpose.

I just hope I can pull myself away from Halo 3, Blue Dragon, and Mass Effect to be able to play this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    That's kinda funny you say that, cause I swear your avatar looks like it was taken directly from the San Andreas cover.
    Haha, yeah I just noticed that. It's actually a reference to Death Note, the finale of which I just watched a day or two ago. A few characters have this code name thing going on with a single letter. So W for Wolfrider.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

Here's the thing.... I absolutely love Crackdown. Right now, it's my game of the year. I'm sure something will come out that will pass it up as game of the year, but there is no question that Crackdown will be one of the better games of 2007, when it's all said and done. Having said all of that, I honestly don't think that Crackdown and GTA and that close of relatives from a gaming standpoint. Other than both being sandbox style games, I don't think they are that close in gameplay style. When I was playing Crackdown, I didn't even like driving around in cars very much. I moved across town by jumping from rooftop to rooftop. Also, Crackdown for me, was more an exploratory game. Almost like an old mario game or something. I was simply exploring the world, trying to find all the agility orbs and the secret orbs, and trying to level up my guy in the various abilities.

When I think about GTA, I think about cruising around a city in a car and going on various missions and stuff, and having the police chase me, and stuff like that. Sure, in Crackdown you do cause some crazy havoc, similar to a GTA game when you go on a rampage, but the mission structure is very different. In Crackdown, you are simply going after the various mini-bosses, and then the main boss. In GTA, you have more varied missions. It's more of a story and a narrative. Also, as much as I loved Crackdown, I wasn't as into the music. I think the music in GTA is much better. Also, there are the radio stations with the talk radio and stuff that is usually hilarious. It's just a totally different vibe. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have a blast with GTA IV, just as I'm doing right now with Crackdown. I'm definitely very excited about a Crackdown 2, and I hope Realtime is working on that as we speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the new trailer for GTA4 looks great for a game as large as GTA.

This will most likely be the reason I FINALLY pick up a 360 or PS3.

It seems I was the only GTA fan that didnt luv San Andreas sure it was good and I liked Vice City but the only GTA style game that I have enjoyed as much as GTA3 when it was first released is Scarface but Im really pumped about the new GTA4.

I know this may seem fanboyish or whatever but I really think it would be great if Rockstar released a PS2 version of this game even if it has to be scaled back a lot.
    Plus I think a PS2 "version" of GTA4 would sell enough units to make it a profitable venture.
    There are well over 50 Million PS2 gamers that havent yet upgraded to PS3 if even the most positive PS2 sales charts are right.

Hell im still trying to finish Scarface on PS2 wich is probably the single best GTA copy-cat ever made after Saints Row wich of course is on 360 and not a last gen system.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922 View Post
    It seems I was the only GTA fan that didnt luv San Andreas
    I'm with you on that... or I would be if I had played it. The complete hip-hop ghetto setting really gave me absolutely no reason to play the game.

What can I say, I'm a racist.

Stay in School kids!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist View Post
    I'm with you on that... or I would be if I had played it. The complete hip-hop ghetto setting really gave me absolutely no reason to play the game.

What can I say, I'm a racist.

Stay in School kids!
    It's not racist, and I agree, its just that that subculture doesn't appeal to me. I don't like "gangsta" style, I hate most hip hop music (with the exception of a little Eminem, and some NYC Oil and PE), and the constant assault on the English language is painful. Not to mention I hate blaxploitation films too (yes even Shaft) so it really offered nothing in terms of setting or music or plot that was particularly compelling. I bought the game, and thought the GAME part of it was lovely, but just couldn't get into it. Give me the 80s any day.