Thread: GAme Cube or XBox? What to buy next?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GAme Cube or XBox? What to buy next?

Well. It's been 1.5 years since I've purchased a new system and I can feel the need for something new growing. So at the next price drop I will pick up either an XBox or a Game Cube.

If you have either, or both, of these systems please let me know what you think of them. Which one you prefer etc. I am strongly thinking of getting and XBox now, ever since they made Halo a pack in game. I prefer FPS games and have grown very bored with RPG's. I no longer have 45 hours to invest in a game.

One main comparison I am interested in is Jedi Knight 2 Outcast. Is it better on the XBox or NGC. I am a big fan of this series. Actually, I enjoy space or flight games as well. That's another consideration. I would realy enjoy playing Rogue Squadron for NGC.

As you can see I need help on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the GC and Xbox....but no PS2. I'd say go with the Xbox. I have Rogue Squad for the GC and its not something I play that often. However the xbox I play a lot more since I have Sega GT and Steel Batallion.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default x

gamecube

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got both, and I personally favor the 'Cube to the 'Box. The 'Cube games seem to be cheaper in certain cases (10 bucks in some cases if you're not choosy). But If I were you, though, I'd go with the Box.

There are other high-quality FPS to be had on Xbox such as Unreal Championship, and you can play that on-line as well. Both systems have Turok, Timesplitters 2, and Bond: Nightfire, but the 'Cube has stuff that's less cerebral like Die Hard (I still plan to get it anyway!). Come to think of it, Xbox had Serious Sam...

Jedi Outcast is probably better on Xbox, but I don't know if there are any extra features on that version.

However, I stick by GameCube for one upcoming reason: Ikaruga!
    Not an FPS, but I have been drooling over this game for months!
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Windwaker.

Need I say more?

Come to think of it, the Cube isn't exactly full of RPGs either. Also, it isn't a conduit for evil zombies to enter your home and devour your brain, which is another advantage over the Box of Demons (the nasty kind, not the cool dog-person-with-big-sword kind).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both, and I prefer the cube. I just find myself playing the cube more often. I have the exact same amount of games for each system, I just enjoy the games on the cube a lot more. The gamecube has a lot of original and creative games that have high replay value. Halo is cool and all, but there really isnt much of a standout right now. Online gaming will be better when more games come out that support it, but as of now I dont see why you would play Unreal championshio on the box when you could use a PC.
    Also, the cube is a much better value. $150, and it comes with metroid prime or one of three other games (go with prime). That is an exce;;ent deal, and the games are averagley cheaper as well.
    And lastly, Halo does get old after a while...
    -crispy
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well actually you can get 2 games with the gamecube if you buy the sunshine pack in for $159 10 dollars more and you can choose between metroid, starfox, mario party, or RE 0. I like both of the systems but i lean more to the cube. I for one really like the feel of the controller for the cube and the wireless wavebird rocks. You can't go wrong either way they are both great systems. I say flip a coin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I also have both, but I'm more partial to the GCN. I have far more games for it, but sure you might call them "kiddie" or "family" games. From what I've noticed though, Xbox has a wider variety of more mature games, action etc. I have a few games for Xbox, but don't really play them that often.

However, if you like FPS'ers there's no comparison between Cube & Xbox. Plus, the Xbox has more online support, so if you have Cable or DSL, you'd be playing into all hours of the night....GCN doesn't let you do that, except for PSO. Even then, Xbox has that on their closed network.

GCN (personal favorites)

Resident Evil
    Zelda
    Animal Crossing
    Smash Brothers
    Monkey Ball
    Beach Spikers

Xbox (personal favorites)
    DOA VB
    Blinx
    Panzar Dragoon Orta
    JSRF
    House of the Dead 3

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up a Gamecube last week and I really like it. Almost all the action/adventure games that I care about are out on the PS2 and I don't like sports games so there was no reason for me to buy an X Box (but I would like House of the Dead 3). Now, I'm just waiting for Windwaker and Super Monkey Ball 2 to arrive in the mail.

-Todd

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I've got both and I definitely prefer my 'cube.

Outside of Halo and Splinter Cell, nothing I own has really blown me away. And Splinter Cell *is* coming out for the 'cube. For the record I've got 8 Xbox games (vs 13 Gamecube).

The 'cube has Wind Waker (which I'm partway into, but totally blown away by at this point), plus Metroid (FPS), Eternal Darkness, Super Monkey Ball, Mario Sunshine and a host of others. Xbox has next to nothing exclusive, at least nothing as good and exciting IMO.

However I will admit to being a bit of a Nintendo fan. And I will also admit that I *really* like the Xbox controller for FPSs. My next *FPS* purchase would be on Xbox, but if I had to choose only one system of the two Nintendo gets my money all the way.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have an XBox but I also have fairly unlimited use of my brother-in-law's Cube. However, nothing on the Cube really stood out that told me I needed to play it. I also don't like the controllers: the left stick isn't as accurate as the N64 stick was, the buttons (other than the big green one) just don't feel right for proper control and the C-Stick is the worst idea ever for controls OTHER than the camera. The only games its been seeing lately is Swingerz golf and now Wind Waker. The way I see it, if you are into the Nintendo first party titles the system is probably for you.

The XBox was a surprise for me. I rented it and fell into gaming bliss. No memory card needed (unless you trade data with a friend, which I do), loooong cords (I'm not into wireless, my living room isn't big enough to require it), the "Type S" controller (which is awesome), music jukebox capability (rip CDs onto the hard drive) and great graphics. Sure it doesn't have all the franchise titles other platforms have, but new legacies are being built on this powerful platform.

Now we can all be a bit biased, but I think it would be in your best interest to go and rent both systems and see which has the games you like.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the xbox only because of CvS2 online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have both (and a ps2), and most of the games i want that are coming out are for the gamecube.
    i prefer the gamecube to the xbox, definetely.

willie

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well GC games are cheaper right now so if u are collecting more then playing I would go GC.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both are great systems. The idea to rent and compare is a no lose idea. I have had both systems since release, I have 14 GC titles, and 8 XBOX I think. So it may seem I prefer the Cube, but you can't base it on what we own. You were right on track by analysing the libraries of each to see which has more to offer your personal taste. What ever way you choose, I can't see where you would be disappointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much the only reason I want an XBox, is to play Steel Battalion. There's a few other titles I wouldn't mind picking up, but, other than those, I'm quite happy with my Gamecube, and expect great things on the horizon.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a Cube (but b-day is rolling around the corner--fingers are crossed). I got an Xbox for Christmas, and so far the only thing that's grabbed me by the throat is Steel Battalion. I mean, Halo is really cool, but I prefer the manic crazy FPS style (Doom, Serious Sam) to the "realistic" style. For some reason I didn't like Timesplitters 2 that much--probably because I suck at it. I've also gotten Munch's Oddysee and Silent Hill 2, but I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't booted up either one.

So what am I saying? Steel Battalion rules. That is all.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own both consoles, and I'd have to say that I've played my Xbox more, largely on account of Panzer Dragoon Orta. In fact, it was my main reason for buying the system in the first place. How I love Panzer Dragoon. And how I hate to think that Sega might not make another Panzer RPG just because Orta didn't move enough copies.

Anyway, I've got to admit that the Gamecube has a more diverse library, with relatively mature stuff (Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil), lighter action games (Super Monkey Ball, Beach Spikers), and, of course, time-honored Nintendo franchises like Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. The Gamecube's also a much better deal right now as far as price and pack-ins are concerned.

The Xbox catalog is skewed towards an older demographic, and most of its kid-friendly games are mediocre. However, the Xbox has a far greater selection of good FPS games, so it might be the better choice for you. Just try not to listen to the people who spout that "TEH XBOXX IS EVELL!!!!1111!!" nonsense.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Get a Neo Geo, you'll still be playing it years after everyone has shelved their Xboxes and GCs. :P

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get them both,
    Best Buy has a Xbox bundle deal with 3 games right now,
    GameCrazys (in some Hollywood Videos) sells used Gamecubes for
    $70, I just bought a refurbished one for $80.

Renting both systems would cost you a few bucks anyway, so just buy
    both and stop eating out for a couple months.