Thread: Christmas 1988, two kids on Welfare and the unthinkable…a new NES

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Awesome story, You gotta' love them churches! I really could relate to the "No electricity" growing up thing! This one really needs to go in the book!

Shawn

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is the best Lore I've read since the last issue of the book. If this doesn't make it into the book, then there is something wrong with the universe.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Solid story, touching indeed.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the best story here, hands down, no competition. I vote this one gets published with the pic, just to give it that much more impact.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best story of the year !

The picture itself is simply priceless and express all the joy!
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Brings back bad memories for me. I remember summers when I was in high school when our electricity was turned off the whole summer. More then one occasion this happened, for many months at a time. Even got to the point where the social services people knocked on our door and had to come to make sure the house was able to be lived in.

I remember eating lunchmeat sandwitches. We had to keep the meat cold in ice in a cooler. And the water somehow always leaked and got everyting wet. It sucked really bad cause all my friends came from rich families. It even got to the point where my best friends mother paid my school fees just so I could graduate high school.

I use to go to a flea market on the weekends and hustle selling video games which is how I got into collecting. I would pick up games cheap and go to the library and sell them on ebay.

Luckily, my nextdoor neighbor was nice enough to let me run a extension cord from his house into my room so I could test all my games.

So I feel your pain man, bologna sandwitches stored in coolers, nights by candlelight reading books or drinking with my friends, food cooked on the grill with sticks instead of charcoal, washing my clothes in the bathtub with dish soap and having to wait days for them to hang dry outside. Then being upset when it rained all over them.

Thinking back on everything though I would not have it any other way. From my experiences I have learned to work for everything I have, and appreciate everything so much more.

I would guess that you feel the same way. And I know this all sounds like a really bad lifestyle to most members here. But there are millions of people who would kill for a life half as good as that. Things could be worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    Brings back bad memories for me. I remember summers when I was in high school when our electricity was turned off the whole summer. More then one occasion this happened, for many months at a time. Even got to the point where the social services people knocked on our door and had to come to make sure the house was able to be lived in.

I remember eating lunchmeat sandwitches. We had to keep the meat cold in ice in a cooler. And the water somehow always leaked and got everyting wet. It sucked really bad cause all my friends came from rich families. It even got to the point where my best friends mother paid my school fees just so I could graduate high school.

I use to go to a flea market on the weekends and hustle selling video games which is how I got into collecting. I would pick up games cheap and go to the library and sell them on ebay.

Luckily, my nextdoor neighbor was nice enough to let me run a extension cord from his house into my room so I could test all my games.

So I feel your pain man, bologna sandwitches stored in coolers, nights by candlelight reading books or drinking with my friends, food cooked on the grill with sticks instead of charcoal, washing my clothes in the bathtub with dish soap and having to wait days for them to hang dry outside. Then being upset when it rained all over them.

Thinking back on everything though I would not have it any other way. From my experiences I have learned to work for everything I have, and appreciate everything so much more.

I would guess that you feel the same way. And I know this all sounds like a really bad lifestyle to most members here. But there are millions of people who would kill for a life half as good as that. Things could be worse.

Wow, you hit the nail on head my friend. I was younger at the time so my experience was a bit different. Then again, Buddig meat sandwiches, washing clothes by hand…that does ring a bell.

By 1991 I was working in the fields detasseling corn, walking beans and bailing hay. For the rest of the year it was paper routes, odd jobs and shoveling snow when possible. Anything to make money. My parents quickly saw this and exploited it, after that, mostly everything was on me. You name it, I had to buy my own. In 1992 I met who would be my best friend and his parents basically took me in. As a matter of fact, when my parents basically kicked me out in 1996 over a financial dispute they let me stay there until I could get on my feet and get an apartment.

It’s sad to say but it’s nice to know there’s other out there that had to go through what I did. Call it a “misery loves company” thing I guess.

On the other hand, I agree that there are others that had it far worse; financially, physically and/or mentally.

I didn’t put this in the story but about 6-8 months after Christmas of 1988 my parents pawned off that Nintendo to pay bills…along with the TV. They got another TV eventually and a buddy let me “borrow” his spare NES from time to time (spare?!?...good grief). Summer of 1992 I landed up buying my own Super Nintendo, 19” COLOR TV (yes, I make a big deal out of that, my parents only had a 13” B&W at the time) and Final Fantasy II. $$ earned from working in the fields. That was great for about 6 months until my parents landed up taking my TV out into the living room stating that I should “share it with the rest of the family”. I didn’t get full use of it again until taking it back in 1997. Funny enough it was that SNES and TV that set my parents off to begin with, they said that I had money to burn on stupid stuff like video games so I could buy my own clothes, school supplies, glasses, etc from now on. That concept elevated to paying my part of the rest of the bills in 1994, my Sophomore year of high school, the year I got my first “real” job working at a local grocery store. It would be this way until I graduated in 1996.
    Last edited by smokehouse; 07-06-2007 at 05:57 AM.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is now my favorite story, what an amazing ordeal.
    http://www.twitch.tv/jumanjicastle/ - Playing classic games in RGB Scart and Component

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Dammit, don't make me cry again...

Nice Story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Great stuff man! Winner for sure!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Best Thread ever

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

having a very similair story as yours in 89, I couldn't help but get a bit teary eyed reading it, and can't help even more agreeing with others, Best story on the forum.
    Now how about a round of frosty chocolate milkshakes?!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow man, I seriously almost have tears in my eyes. Awesome story!