Thread: Amiga Emulation

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Amiga Emulation

As I mentioned before, I've been interested in getting into the Shadow of The Beast series on the Amiga...

I've NEVER worked with any Amuga emulator, hell, I've never worked with any COMPUTER emulator...
    Any suggestions on emulators I could use and how to get them up and running?

I've downloaded a DOS port of UAE. It seemed easy enough to configure and I've downloaded both disks of both Beast games... but it keeps claiming I need a Kickstart ROM... and in the readme.txt it states they can't distribute the kickstart ROM becuase it's copyrighted like te games are. So.... where can I find THAT file? or are there other emualtors that are better that you think I should use or what?

And once I get it up and running feel free to recommend some games for me to try with a quick description... I may have to start searching for Amiga stuff at the second hand stores if it proves to be have some good games.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the kickstart rom. It can be found on the net, thats how I managed to get it. If you want it, send me an email at drta04atplanetnintendo.com and mention kickstart rom and I'll send it your way as soon as I can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Amiga Emulation

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd
    As I mentioned before, I've been interested in getting into the Shadow of The Beast series on the Amiga...

I've NEVER worked with any Amuga emulator, hell, I've never worked with any COMPUTER emulator...
    Any suggestions on emulators I could use and how to get them up and running?

I've downloaded a DOS port of UAE. It seemed easy enough to configure and I've downloaded both disks of both Beast games... but it keeps claiming I need a Kickstart ROM... and in the readme.txt it states they can't distribute the kickstart ROM becuase it's copyrighted like te games are. So.... where can I find THAT file? or are there other emualtors that are better that you think I should use or what?

And once I get it up and running feel free to recommend some games for me to try with a quick description... I may have to start searching for Amiga stuff at the second hand stores if it proves to be have some good games.

Alex Kidd
    Amiga emulation is GREAT! I would suggest NOT using the DOS port however. Use WinUAE instead:

http://www.winuae.net/

Like stated in the post above, you will need a kickstart rom (Amiga's rom image) to play the games. SOme games require different versions of the rom (v1.3, v3.1..etc) I have all the kickstart roms if you need them as well. Configuration of the emulator may look difficult at first, but it is really easy actually. For some config help and other great stuff (games, demos) go here:

http://www.back2roots.org/

Ahh..back to the ROOTS!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys thanx, my e-mail is brian_pumphrey@hotmail.com, send me any kickstart roms I'll need please.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd
    Hey guys thanx, my e-mail is brian_pumphrey@hotmail.com, send me any kickstart roms I'll need please.

Alex Kidd
    I tried to send a 1mb zipped file with the roms and the email was returned undeliverable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Amiga in a Box" might also be worth getting if you plan on doing anything more than playing self-booting games.

Unfortunately, not only do you still need a kickstart ROM, but you need a floppy image of one of the original Workbench (i.e., Amiga OS) disks - also somewhat hard to find.
    ________
    Spice Weed
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    "Amiga in a Box" might also be worth getting if you plan on doing anything more than playing self-booting games.

Unfortunately, not only do you still need a kickstart ROM, but you need a floppy image of one of the original Workbench (i.e., Amiga OS) disks - also somewhat hard to find.
    I have AIAB and it includes some kick roms AND workbench disks!