Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the shortest contoller cords. turbo grafx and all ver of it?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default the shortest contoller cords. turbo grafx and all ver of it?

as a simple little factoid is its seems to me the turbo grafx,duo,supergrafx ect
    all have the same length for their controllers.
    i have every system in the usa including protables since nes minus the psp(new make of dracula X will change that).
    other than the neo-geo i cant think of a system that comes close to winning this title since the release of the nes.

i just cant belive how short the cord is. you almost have to set the system on your lap to play games, good thing for extention cords.
    lol i think the vr boy has a longer controller cord:P
    i am to lazy now to measure but now i think i will just for the fun of it.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have a Sega Genesis 3-button controller with a cord that might be 2 feet, certainly the shortest I ever saw. I have the exact same type of controller which happens to contain a much longer cord. I'm not sure why the same controller came with two lengths that are so different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I seem to remember the cord on my PC Engine pads was rediculously short.

And Xbox pads are the other extreme: about 10ft long.

Maybe it has something to do with the average size of a Japanese living room compared to a US one, and the fact that TV sizes have got a lot bigger over the past 10 years?
    Last edited by CosmicMonkey; 07-04-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Yes, I seem to remember the cord on my PC Engine pads was rediculously short.

And Xbox pads are the other extreme: about 10ft long.

Maybe it has something to do with the average size of a Japanese living room compared to a US one, and the fact that TV sizes have got a lot bigger over the past 10 years?
    Good point, the average sitting position has changed from kids sitting on the floor, looking at a console television to 50”+ TV sets that you sit 9’ away from.

The TG-16 cords are way too short. I was playing Bomberman on the PC Engine with some friend and we all have to sit within a 6’ radius…

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

For the longest, I'll have to go with the CD32's. I think I can walk downstairs and into the kitchen with them.

For the shortest, how about the 5200's? Part of the reason I don't use it much is that I have to drag the whole console to the middle of the room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought the Gamecube had really short cords. At least for modern day controllers. What are they about, 5 feet? I'm sure Nintendo planned it that way too since the Wavebird was such a huge success for them. The Wavebird was the only way I could play my Cube because the normal controller cord couldn't reach my couch.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Famicom cords are tiny short, just a little over 60cms. I really need get a extra controller for that expansion port so i can play in bed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the Aussie SNES controllers? Shortest cable I've ever seen personally.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Yeah, exactly. The problem with the Turbo Grafx/Duo is that the design of it carried over from Japan, without taking into consideration how things are different in America. Japanese apartments are way too small to have huge entertainment centers like in the US, so a system is often boxed up when not in use. The standard way of playing the PC Engine is to sit on the floor with it right in front of you while the hook-ups stretch back to the TV and outlet. That's why a PC Engine Duo A/V cable is plenty long but the controller cable isn't.

The differences in Japan and America also explain why it only has one controller port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I also have a Genesis 3-button controller with an about 2 foot long cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo's replacement snes cables (they had a brown instead of grey sticker around the buttons, and the buttons were smaller) had a 3 foot cord. japanese length.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8Ways2Tuesday's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Super Famicom has a ridiculously short cord - the SFC sits on the top shelf of my game rack and the controller will dangle about midway when it's plugged in - definitely less than three feet.

Gamecube controllers have always been a pain, too - only system I have to sit at the end of my bed to play instead of leaning back comfortably.

PS3, while charging, is fairly short, too, but I suppose I can get a longer USB cable for that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a three button Genesis controller that is only I think two feet long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having put in a huge amount of time with the PC Engine, I am familiar with its short cord length. An extension cable is basically a necessity. Even so, I say that the dogbones that come with the AV Famicom are the most ridiculous cables I have seen. At least it is possible to play with normal NES controllers, but I am a fan of the dogbones. I am considering swapping out the cords with US NES cords. I'll probably never get rid of the thing anyway.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acem77 View Post
    as a simple little factoid is its seems to me the turbo grafx,duo,supergrafx ect
    all have the same length for their controllers.
    i have every system in the usa including protables since nes minus the psp(new make of dracula X will change that).
    other than the neo-geo i cant think of a system that comes close to winning this title since the release of the nes.

i just cant belive how short the cord is. you almost have to set the system on your lap to play games, good thing for extention cords.
    lol i think the vr boy has a longer controller cord:P
    i am to lazy now to measure but now i think i will just for the fun of it.

yhea, a few weeks after I first got my TG-16 around when it came out I broke it by pulling on the controller and pulling it out of the entertainment stand. damn short cord. luckly toys R us was kind enough to replace the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A lot of Japanese systems have very short cables - the SG-1000 & Mark III are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flock View Post
    Famicom cords are tiny short, just a little over 60cms. I really need get a extra controller for that expansion port so i can play in bed.
    I came here to say this as well. Those Famicom controller cords are ridiculous. I used to live in a fairly small room, but those suckers were still too damn short and I always wound up dragging the console out to the middle of the room so that I could play.

Those Xbox cords were seriously awesome, though. Aside from being long as hell, the breakaway cord was an excellent idea. Never needed to pick up a wireless xbox controller, that's for sure.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Intellivision cords. Short, coiled, and dedicated. Yuck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Intellivision cords. Short, coiled, and dedicated. Yuck.

Both the INTV and Colecovision ones can be a real pain.
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    QFT; these are clearly the shortest. But there is a brilliant workaround (and I can't take credit for it, someone else posted it a long time ago and I took it to heart and have done this ever since)--use a Sears Super Video Arcade or Intellivision II (with detachable controllers) and get some Sega Genesis joystick extension cords. Awesome!
    Last edited by k8track; 07-05-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"