Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the worst game of all time?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Sewer Shark really isn't that bad... in fact I'd say it's easily one of the better FMV games. Have you played NFL's Greatest?
    Yeah, Sewer Shark ain't bad. I used to own it and a Sega CD. Say, is NFL's Greatest similar to Mike Ditka's Quarterback Attack? QB Attack was my favorite FMV game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    I thought this subject looked familiar. Check out these (albeit a bit old) threads in Classic Discussions:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11018

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19731

Might be interesting to compare today's answers with those of a year or two ago. Have the opinions changed?
    Oddly it was one of those lists that made me want to seek out the very worst in computer entertainment. In hindsight some of my answers there are nuts. I suppose we have the disclaimer that we were voting for favorites and least favorites (in which case I stand by a few, my choice of 'worst' games seems to be the ones that disappointed me the most in a few cases.)

My choice for the Worst Game of all Time (Supreme Warrior on the Mega CD - Awful FMV rubbish) seemed about right at the time. It is certainly still in the top ten somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

also i hate that SHUT UP AND JAM basketball game with charles barkley or someone in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Yeah, Sewer Shark ain't bad. I used to own it and a Sega CD. Say, is NFL's Greatest similar to Mike Ditka's Quarterback Attack? QB Attack was my favorite FMV game.
    I've never played Quarterback Attack... NFL's Greatest was basically just a bunch of stock footage of the 49ers and Cowboys. You pick a play, and then watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Final Fantasy VII, but I'm a bit biased against Bishysephypoopoomomma'sboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I've never played Quarterback Attack... NFL's Greatest was basically just a bunch of stock footage of the 49ers and Cowboys. You pick a play, and then watch it.
    Quarterback Attack is a little different. For starters, the teams are generic and you are focusing solely on playing as the QB. You pick plays on offense and actually control what happens, whether you complete a pass, get sacked or throw an interception. You see the field from a behind-the-back view and there are a few different difficulty levels to choose from. The control isn't that great but you can move around in the pocket and you are able to "read" coverage meaning you don't have to throw blindly. You can clearly see what guys are covered and who you shouldn't pass to, unless you want to throw a pick. You don't control anything on defense, though, the computer predetermines the result which seems a little dumb but it keeps the game moving along at a pretty fast pace.

What you also get a lot of is dialogue from the coach (Mike Ditka), your teammates and opposing players. It changes based on how well you're doing. There are also scenes and dialogue which take place in the locker room, so not everything happens on the field. It is rather decent. I'm sure a lot of people who play it pick the "wrong" plays on purpose just to tank the game and watch Ditka get madder by the minute. See, one advantage of this game is that you don't ever "die", the worst that could happen is you lose royally. So you are guaranteed to finish the game and won't end up dying 10 seconds in and have to restart.

I can't say you'd like it but it was on the Saturn and 3DO, both versions are easy to find. I find it to be more playable than most games in the FMV genre.
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-06-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    Ok, I'm going to stick with the 90's basketball player theme. Pick your poison:

Slam City with Scottie Pippen
    Michael Jordan's Chaos in the Windy City
    Barkley Shut Up and Jam
    Bill Lambier's Combat Basketball
    Don't forget David Robinson's Supreme Court!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    2600 Pac-Man is WAAAAY worse than E.T. In fact, there are a ton of Atari games where I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do, or even what I'm controlling on the screen, so those have definitely got to be worse than E.T.
    True words. I've plugged in many a 2600 game to be greeted by a bunch of abstract symbols and no earthly idea what to do. At least with ET I at least knew what on the screen I was supposed to be controlling.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what would make a game the "Worst of all time", but the games I hate the most are:

Sword of Sodan, Genesis
    Final Fantasy VII, PSX
    Morrowind, Xbox

I can't say I really hate E.T, when I play it I just spend a little time seeing if I can do anything remotely interesting with it, and then turn it off.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Am I really the ONLY person who likes 2600 pacman? Sure it isn't the same, but it's forever classic in my mind. I love those damn sound effects. I think I prefered jr pacman at that age, but i still have fond memories and occasionally play 2600 pacman.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

This many posts and I'm the first person who's going to offer "Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu?" I never would have bought the game if it hadn't been a black cart for $2.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    Ok, I'm going to stick with the 90's basketball player theme. Pick your poison:

Slam City with Scottie Pippen
    Michael Jordan's Chaos in the Windy City
    Barkley Shut Up and Jam
    Bill Lambier's Combat Basketball

You forgot Magic Johnson's Fast Break. Nice Bomb, indeed.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Of the 4000 games I own, three come to mind that deserve the recognition of being the "suck of the sucky games". I know that there are others that I dont own, but these are the ones that I have played and laughed about how bad they are.

3rd on my list of "suck of the sucky" goes to Rap Jam Vol 1. Rap people playing basketball, without their music playing. This piece of crap Snes game was no more than a ploy to promote Rap CDs. The game is bad, but not as bad as the concept of using Rap and Hip Hop artists playing sports.

2nd on my list goes to Drake and the 99 Dragons for the Xbox. This game has a special place of suckness that needs to be recognized. First of all, the animation of the main character is just bizarre, the only way I can describe it is controlling an lame comic book character born with out elbows and given , on top of one of the worst cameras ever made in a video game. From lame character design to by far one of the most boring second levels made in a game....they just took the first level and reversed it....without enemies....lame....

Top award for my worst game ever publically released for full price would have to go to Shadow War of Succession for the 3DO. When the intro screen looks unfinished, you know that you are in for a treat of suckiness. Try to imagine a really bad Mortal Kombat ripp off made by college students who flunked animation and acting school. It is so funny and bad, I recommend it for anyone to show how to not make a video game.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Am I really the ONLY person who likes 2600 pacman? Sure it isn't the same, but it's forever classic in my mind. I love those damn sound effects. I think I prefered jr pacman at that age, but i still have fond memories and occasionally play 2600 pacman.
    That was the first version of Pac Man I ever played. To this day, I've only played Pac Man games on either an Atari system (2600 or 7800), on the NES or in the arcade. I thought the 2600 version was all right, too. Yeah, Ms. Pac Man and Jr. were better games on the 2600 but my memories of Pac Man for the system were also positive. I am still amazed to hear some of the same sound effects you mention in popular culture, in tv shows and commercials which use those sounds to represent a video game.

It helps quite a bit that I didn't froth at the mouth waiting for the 2600 version to be released after logging a bunch of hours with Pac Man at the arcade. I played it when I was 3-4 years old in 1983/1984 and it was my first exposure of any kind to the franchise. So I didn't have any sort of expectations and am obviously less disappointed (or hostile) about the game than some of our fine, upstanding early 1980's arcade veterans here

In fact, there are a lot of popular games from the classic era that I only know from having played them on a 2600, 7800 or Intellivision so those versions will always be the first ones that come to mind when I think of certain classics. That was what I owned and getting into the arcade wasn't a regular thing. At that age, Asteroids, Defender, Missile Command, Centipede, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Pac Man and Galaxian were all games I never even heard of until I saw a 2600 cart in my living room and popped it in. Good ports or bad, those versions all bring back various memories to me, mostly good ones. Sacrilege? Perhaps. The bigger problem is not having better arcades near my home as a kid or owning a wider variety of computers (Atari/Commodore) or consoles (ColecoVision/5200).
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-06-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Hainjutsuyiu

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    So what is your favorite game?
    Ocarina of Time!!! Actually NIGHTs is my 3rd favorite game! My second favorite is got to be Super Mario Bros. 3
    Ahh man this guy is back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to say that these 2 games must be added to the list:
    Alien Syndrome NES-Just a piece of crap
    Captain Comic NES- enemies have no set location birds and snakes just fall from the sky, you can't duck, theres only 3 people that worked on this game and tou can tell.
    Legacy of the Wizard was also pretty bad, cause you dont know what the hell to do
    http://www.twitch.tv/jumanjicastle/ - Playing classic games in RGB Scart and Component

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    Alien Syndrome NES-Just a piece of crap
    Yes! Although I wouldn't put it among the worst games ever, the Video Game Critic (whose website I should not be reading), said, "I first played this overhead shooter on the Sega Master System, but I much prefer this more robust NES edition." WTF? Crazy that anyone would actually LIKE the NES version at all, nevermind consider it superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    Legacy of the Wizard was also pretty bad, cause you dont know what the hell to do
    Well, I suggest you look at an FAQ and give that game a try because many, many people consider that game to brilliant. It is bitingly difficult, but it can be done, and it's really quite fun when you figure out how to problem solve and use the items.

You know, a few years ago, everybody would have been slamming Deadly Towers because of the Seanbaby list, but that game gets a bad rep for reasons similar to LotW. It's actually a great game, it's just really really difficult unless you cheat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without a doubt, the worst game of all time is..........Sword of Sodan (Genesis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by leicamaster View Post
    Ocarina of Time!!! Actually NIGHTs is my 3rd favorite game! My second favorite is got to be Super Mario Bros. 3
    I was really hoping you were going to say some crappy Sega franchise. But I can't even joke on you cause I love Ocarina too. Also a big fan of Mario 3. Thanks for taking all the wind out of my sails.

BTW, Nights is a great game... FOR ME TO POOP ON!
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213