Thread: question on snes rgb/scart

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default question on snes rgb/scart

well i tried useing the search feature but lately if i try useing any words in the line 3 words or less (RGB, PAL, a, of, ect...) i get an error so i'm probibly just useing it wrong.

anyways i have a question. i recently got a sony PVM 2530 so i can dive into the whole RGB thing. anyways after some searching i found someone whos going to make me a 25 pin RGB adapter plug with a female SCART on one side. this way i can simply buy a scart cable for whatever system and just use it with the one adaptor, as opposed to getting a special cord for eatch console.

but after a little looking i read some things about NTSC snes units haveing diffrent a/v pins then the PAL version. so does this mean i can't just buy a RGB snes scart cable and use it with my US snes and PVM 2530? how about other systems?
    Last edited by Soviet Conscript; 07-05-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 3-in-1 GC/PS2/Xbox SCART cable that works fine with my US SNES and US RGB modded N64, so you should be OK. Where did you hear about the NTSC/PAL pin discrepancy?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    I have a 3-in-1 GC/PS2/Xbox SCART cable that works fine with my US SNES and US RGB modded N64, so you should be OK. Where did you hear about the NTSC/PAL pin discrepancy?
    hmmm, perhaps I missnterpited. just on a few webpages on the net that came up as i searched for various console scart cables. something about the cable or pinout being diffrent on a PAL SNES as opposed to a NTSC one. maybe it just ment its diffrent but will still operate.

the thing that threw me is it then mentioned that nintendo did this again with the cube and the cube required a hack so i assumed if it was done again that ment the snes needed something.

thanks for the reply

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to this very useful website, there are differences between PAL/NTSC-U SNES and GC cables. Bugger.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

"According to Jim Christy, the US and NTSC SNES have a ‘DC offset’, which is basically extra voltage, on the RGB lines (1v DC according to Jay Tiltons site). You can filter this out with one 220uf capacitor on each of the RGB lines (+ towards console, - towards display). PAL SNES systems do not need these caps, but may require some 47 ohm resistors in their place in order to get the video contrast down to the correct level. PAL GameCubes need the caps, NTSC GameCubes don’t output RGB through this connector."

From GameSx.com

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this has lead to no end of confusion. People in Europe buying Gamecube SCART cables to use with their SNESes: doesn't work. People in the U.S. buying SNES SCART cables to use on their NTSC SNESes: doesn't work. ...well, I guess that's the end of it, so I was wrong about there being no end, but...yeah.

Anyway, as Mr. mario2butts said, a Gamecube SCART cable will work with an NTSC SNES. I'd recommend staying away from any SCART cable labeled for use with the SNES unless it specifically says it will work with an NTSC system (even then, I'd be wary, in fact). Gamecube ones should be easier to find anyway, though.

...word is bondage...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can use Euro Scart Cables with USA retro systems in RGB just fine. Just make sure that the female Scart end on your 25 pin custom cable for the PVM is a European type, and not the Japanese type. Japanese Scart cables are much harder to find. I just bought a Euro SNES Scart cable from Play Asia for like 6 bucks shipped. You can't beat that. They had a Saturn one for $6 shipped to, so I ordered one of those as well. They work perfectly fine.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    You can use Euro Scart Cables with USA retro systems in RGB just fine. Just make sure that the female Scart end on your 25 pin custom cable for the PVM is a European type, and not the Japanese type. Japanese Scart cables are much harder to find. I just bought a Euro SNES Scart cable from Play Asia for like 6 bucks shipped. You can't beat that. They had a Saturn one for $6 shipped to, so I ordered one of those as well. They work perfectly fine.
    The only SCART cable for the SNES I see at Play-Asia is one listed as working with the Gamecube, N64 and Super Famicom. That will work fine on an NTSC SNES, but an SCART cable made specifically for PAL SNES units will not. SCART cables made for the PAL SNES have resistors on the RGB lines since the PAL SNES outputs a higher voltage signal on those lines, but when you try to use that cable with an NTSC system that send a lower power through the RGB lines it cannot drive the resistors so the image will wash out after about a second.

...word is bondage...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    i found someone whos going to make me a 25 pin RGB adapter plug with a female SCART on one side. this way i can simply buy a scart cable for whatever system and just use it with the one adaptor, as opposed to getting a special cord for eatch console.
    WHERE??? I want one!