Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft taking a ONE BILLION dollar hit on the crappy 360 design! OUCH!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Microsoft taking a ONE BILLION dollar hit on the crappy 360 design! OUCH!

I know there is another thread about the 3 year warranty, but I think the 1 billion charge is deserving of it's own discussion. One billion dollars DUDE!!!

Man, this has to be a serious, serious blow.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070705/...2C1t4FZ5ME1vAI

"Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) said on Thursday said it would take a more than $1 billion charge to fix "an unacceptable number of repairs" to its Xbox 360 video game consoles and had missed shipment targets for the end of June.
    The charge will be in a range of $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion, before taxes, for the quarter ended June 30, Microsoft said.

Microsoft had already cut its forecast for Xbox 360 shipments in January. It had previously forecast shipments of 13 million to 15 million by the end of June.

"What you have to ask yourself as an investor is, should Microsoft be in the hardware business?" said Kim Caughey, senior analyst at Fort Pitt Capital Group, which oversees about $1.2 billion, including Microsoft shares, for clients.

She added, however, that the charge should not be a concern for long-term investors.

"It's a lot of money, let's not say it isn't," Caughey said. "But if you're a long-term holder, I don't think it's going to have that great an impact."

Bach said the new warranty would not impact the Xbox division's plan to turn a profit in fiscal 2008, which started this month.

He was also mum on the issue of whether Microsoft would announce a price cut for the Xbox 360 console if Sony made a similar move.

"We will assess what we do with pricing and other aspects of our business based on our own business," he said.

Microsoft shares dropped slightly to $29.91 after closing at $29.99 on Nasdaq."

Wowsers. Taking a 1.15 billion charge is freaking ridiculous. I knew that they were fixing a god awful number of Xbox 360's and that somebody has to be paying for this shit. It's not like they can fix them for free, and ship them for free and all that. So they are going to have to take a freaking 1.15 billion charge!!!! That is fucking amazing. One Xbox 360 premium costs about $431 when you factor in tax ($399 + tax). So if you take 1.15 billion, and divide it by $431, you get nearly 2.7 million Xbox 360s. In other words, Microsoft could have given away the first 2.7 million Xbox 360's for free, and they would have lost the same amount of money as taking a 1.15 billion charge. That is absolutely astonishing to me. I'm not so sure Microsoft doesn't pull the plug on the whole 360 thing altogether. You look at the 360 and the Zune, and I think it's becoming quite obivious that Microsoft doesn't know what it's doing in the hardware space. It's a software company, trying to morph into a hardware company, and it's having a real tough go at it. I enjoyed the Xbox 1 immensly, and I enjoy the 360 as well. I had one 360 die on me so far, it was a launch day console. It almost survived a full year, then it died. I bought it at Costco, so I got another one for free without having to send it anywhere, so it didn't bother me any. I didn't have my 360 for only 1 day. But for others that have had to ship it out and wait a month or more to get it back, I can understand how that might frustrate. On top of that, some people had to pay to send it out, then later got reimbursed or whatever.

But goddamn!!! 1 FREAKING BILLION DOLLARS!!! How is the entertainment division of Microsoft going to ever be profitable?? Just when it was starting to look like things were looking up for the Xbox 360. And what does this do to a possible price drop? Can they really afford to do a price drop now? Sony is going to drop their price $100, and I thought it was an absolute given that MS was going to do a pre-emptive strike and announce a $100 price drop the night before Sony's keynote. But now, with this 1 billion charge, I just don't see how they can get away with it. I think they absolutely need to do it to have a legitimate chance at taking the No.1 market share position in North America from a long term standpoint, but goddamn.....MS can only take so much bleeding. At some point they are going to raise the white flag and say fuck it. I can tell you right now that we aren't going to see any portable gaming system from MS. They tried the Xbox 1 and failed. Tried the 360 and have done relatively mediocre, but if you look at this chargeback and their dwindling NPD numbers, it's starting to point towards failure (at least from a fiscal sense), and the Zune has been a complete dissaster. When do you just cut your losses and take your ball and go home?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my 360, but I do wonder how long they can afford to be in the game business when they are bleeding money like that. And after how much money they lost on xbox 1, and how they were losing money on each consoles sold... They are a public company, so it can't really go on forever, can it?

I do wonder what's ahead, now that both Sony and MS are confirmed to be bleeding money in their games divisions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

and worth every penny !

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ever seen what they charge for their computer software?

$300+ for Vista Ultimate?
    $270 for XP Pro?
    $400 for Office Pro 2007?

Thats probably helping ease the pain.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In reality, you can probably look at this announcement as a long-term recall. Simply put, if Microsoft knows that most Xbox 360's will fail within 3 years of purchase, this allows them to effectively recall the product without getting as much negative press as a full recall announcement would create. (In fact, it's creating quite a bit of good press in many circles)

One thing to remember is that Microsoft has also stated that they believe they have fixed the problem causing the RROD issue (most likely with the twin heatsink/heatpipe being seen in recently repaired units), so unlike previous repairs, odds are the next time any user sends their system in for service, the actual problem will be corrected.

Finally, the projected 1.15 billion hit they're taking is being applied to the quarter ending June 30th, 2007 - a quarter in which they were already expecting to see a loss. Given Robbie Bach's projections that the 360 will be profitable in 2008 and the amount of money the company is making on the Live Marketplace, I could easily see the company weathering any shareholder discontent the warranty bill may cause.
    Mostly Harmless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NYLatenite View Post
    In reality, you can probably look at this announcement as a long-term recall. Simply put, if Microsoft knows that most Xbox 360's will fail within 3 years of purchase, this allows them to effectively recall the product without getting as much negative press as a full recall announcement would create. (In fact, it's creating quite a bit of good press in many circles)

One thing to remember is that Microsoft has also stated that they believe they have fixed the problem causing the RROD issue (most likely with the twin heatsink/heatpipe being seen in recently repaired units), so unlike previous repairs, odds are the next time any user sends their system in for service, the actual problem will be corrected.

Finally, the projected 1.15 billion hit they're taking is being applied to the quarter ending June 30th, 2007 - a quarter in which they were already expecting to see a loss. Given Robbie Bach's projections that the 360 will be profitable in 2008 and the amount of money the company is making on the Live Marketplace, I could easily see the company weathering any shareholder discontent the warranty bill may cause.
    All excellent points -- I'm no MS fanboy (as I type this on a Linux box in Firefox) but I do enjoy both xboxes. It's really in the interest of all gamers to have not only a strong and profitable Nintendo but a flourishing MS & Sony as well. 3 healthy competitors means a) more and higher quality product b) more competition -- drives innovation as companies try to position themselves apart from their competitors.

Hopefully MS uses the knowledge gained from the first 1.5 years of hardware failures to revise the hardware and make it more reliable -- and cheaper! (and add built-in Wifi, dammit!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least any newly purchased Xbox360s will most likely have a longer lifespan than 3 months wich seemed to be the norm for early adopters.

Im sure any new 360 consoles sold/ repaired after say June '07 will be far more reliable.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default I think it's great they are stepping up...

a lot of companies wouldn't do this at all and would instead wait for class action lawsuits and severe pressure. I applaud Microsoft for doing this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Microsoft is looking even more like Sega.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    a lot of companies wouldn't do this at all and would instead wait for class action lawsuits and severe pressure. I applaud Microsoft for doing this.

I don't think they deserve applause. They messed up in the beginning then just now sort of fixed it. So they are now even with themselves. Once they do something more (that's good) then IMO they deserve applause.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922 View Post
    At least any newly purchased Xbox360s will most likely have a longer lifespan than 3 months wich seemed to be the norm for early adopters.

Im sure any new 360 consoles sold/ repaired after say June '07 will be far more reliable.
    Anyone agree with this? I'm buying a 360 the 13th and am hoping it will be better quality than they used to be.
    Last edited by chicnstu; 07-06-2007 at 01:28 PM.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is painful, especially considering they aren't breaking even on the 360s. I wonder if revenue from the other MS divisions are being used to offset the hurt. It does give me cause for concern though, I mean, the games division can't be a huge section of MS and if its hemorrhaging cash like this it may be a good idea (from the suits point of view) to amputate (catch the medical metaphor there? Oooh clever I am).

Then again prolly not.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    and worth every penny !

hell yeah.... I agree with ya... best 400 bucks I have spent in a long while....
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the truth I believe is that they get this as a hugh tax write off. Although I commend Ms for extending the warranty I really believe this has more to do with the true failure rates eventually coming out and in order to qualify for a tax write off you have to release your numbers.

This way when the numbers are released they can say well we increased the warranty for 3 years. Buy with confidence.

The conspiracy side of me says they have found away to disable the check engine light.
    neo geo system

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm...

Their stock only fell .09¢. If the investors aren't concerned then we shouldn't be either. All that money was spent to make sure people had a system; it was good customer service, after disappointing hardeware developement.

Halo 3 is expected to approach $200 million on it's own so I am not too worried for MS. They are not going anywhere espeacially if they are still expected to announce a profit this year and given that they will only be more profitable in the following years given the hardware issue is now solved. I am sure they wanted the hardware concerns removed in time for the holiday season.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post

Anyone agree with this? I'm buying a 360 the 13th and am hoping it will be better quality than they used to be.

Just make sure to buy your consoles from Costco. I bought my 360 from Costco, and when it died, I returned it and got a brand new one the same day, without paying a penny. I had it for almost a full year. Costco's warranty is better than anything. The hell with sending my dead 360 to Microsoft and not having a 360 for a full month. I just wish I bought my PS3 from Costco. I would have if I could, but it was impossible during launch. Once PS3's started showing up at Costco, I should have bought one there, and then sold my other one. Even if I took a $100 loss, it would have probably been a good idea, considering the peace of mind it would have brought me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Well the truth I believe is that they get this as a hugh tax write off. Although I commend Ms for extending the warranty I really believe this has more to do with the true failure rates eventually coming out and in order to qualify for a tax write off you have to release your numbers.

This way when the numbers are released they can say well we increased the warranty for 3 years. Buy with confidence.

The conspiracy side of me says they have found away to disable the check engine light.
    Why on earth would a company get to write off warranty repairs on their taxes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They can work it as a tax write off as a loss of income, I think, my us tax knowledge is flaky at best.

Bu all it is proving is what Ive said all along about this console war, the only reason MS
    ever got involved was due to forseeing the downfall of current computing methods.

If an all in one console/entertainment machine came out that had mouse and keyboard support
    as well as internet functions, then a certain percentage of casual PC gamers, possibly developers as well
    would swing away from the pc market.

If you didnt have to have a MS os for gaming, im sure some of the FREE os's would
    more then meet your requirements for web browsing and email collection, this leads me to my point, MS make money out of selling pc software if that market is
    threatend it could be a huge issue for them, therfore chuck a heap of money into counter attacking the threat.

My 2 cents anyways.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Just make sure to buy your consoles from Costco. I bought my 360 from Costco, and when it died, I returned it and got a brand new one the same day, without paying a penny. I had it for almost a full year. Costco's warranty is better than anything. The hell with sending my dead 360 to Microsoft and not having a 360 for a full month. I just wish I bought my PS3 from Costco. I would have if I could, but it was impossible during launch. Once PS3's started showing up at Costco, I should have bought one there, and then sold my other one. Even if I took a $100 loss, it would have probably been a good idea, considering the peace of mind it would have brought me.

Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if I'll be able to buy from there, the closest one to me is in Greensboro (24.5 miles away according to their site). I'll try anyway though because I really can't afford to send 360s back every 3 months.

Did you have to pay for some type of warranty to be able to get another one? If so, how much?
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I realize that 1 billion dollars is a substantial amount of money. But is it really going to hurt the house that Gates built? I think not so much. IMO, they're still going to be in better shape than Sony. Even if Sony does drop $100, I still think Microsoft has them beat this gen. They have more games and better online capabilities. And I DO applaud them for their efforts to right their wrongs. I doubt Sony would do the same thing. On the contrary, they would try to find a way to blame the customer, like they did with the poor sales of the PS3. ("It's society's fault that we're losing; surely we didn't fuck up") Paraphrased a little, but you get the idea. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out, to be sure. You gotta know Nintendo's loving being #1 again.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Why on earth would a company get to write off warranty repairs on their taxes?
    Businesses do it all the time. It would go down as a business expense that when they itemize the taxes the repairs takes away from the profit. The fact that they pay for shipping and pay for repairs. I don't know the exact term but they will definately write off the repairs. It is similar to when people default on there credit cards. Peoples credit are messed up for years no sweat to the companies because they will write off the loss anyway. They really lose nothing. It is crazy.

Honestly I new it was only a matter of time because I believe when you write off the books the books have to be open. If the issue was small enough they could probably could have eaten it and denied everything but this is too big not to.
    neo geo system

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Their stock only fell .09¢. If the investors aren't concerned then we shouldn't be either. .
    I'm sure they are at least somewhat concerned by it. The stable stock price just means that investors weren't surprised by it. The games division losing bucketloads isn't exactly news.