Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Goodwill actually sell games!??!??!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you cant find much at my goodwills anymore, but upon reading this thread, i decided to walk on down to the local store and I found Command and Conquer 3, pc DVD for $5, complete with cd key, poster, inserts and manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jferio View Post
    My experience is it depends on the area more than the chain.
    I think this is most accurate.

Goodwills are run under regional authority. If a region is run better than another, less will be tossed, less will be skimmed, and generally more games will make it to the floor. Bizzarely, the best thrifts are often the best run thrifts.

I have lived in many places. Thrifted many towns. -que music- And some areas are clearly way way better than others. When I lived in Seattle, the goodwill system was very very good. In Long Beach, CA, it was nearly awful. Here in Chicago, it's middle of the road. For some reason, everywhere, Goodwill is inundated with (to coin a new thrifting expression) Waiters. There are always semi-indolent near-seniors waiting for the trolleys to pull up and attack them. I don't believe in their efficiency.

I think that the biggest threat at these Thrifts isn't the patrons, it's the staff stealing and dumping.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    For some reason, everywhere, Goodwill is inundated with (to coin a new thrifting expression) Waiters. There are always semi-indolent near-seniors waiting for the trolleys to pull up and attack them. I don't believe in their efficiency.
    That's funny, I usually just called them "vultures".
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I think that the biggest threat at these Thrifts isn't the patrons, it's the staff stealing and dumping.
    I couldn't have said it better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I never thought of that. But then again, I did buy a virtual boy for $2.50 from a goodwill, So that should say something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overall the past couple of months have sucked when it comes to Goodwill stores around here. I have had a few decent finds here & there this summer but nothing like last year. And one of the other local thrift store chains puts most of their video game stuff out on ebay too. So I hardly find much anymore locally these days.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Goodwill Find

Yes Goodwill still does sell video games! I was in one outside the Orlando area just 3 or 4 days ago, and found a dirty N64 with one grey controller, two power supplies, and Castlevania 64 for 19.99. I rescued it and had every intention of selling it after I cleaned it up and tested it... But I had it up on ebay for a day and decided to take it down and hold onto it for a little while. You can't get much for them now anyway, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for them. Oh well, I've enjoyed the hell out of bond and perfect dark... and probably spent more time with those games than any in recent memory. I also found a near mint and complete copy (@ the same store) of Nintendogs DS (for 2.99) that I put on ebay, because I don't have a DS. That will justify me keeping a second N64 console for now, until I find out what to do with it. By the way I found the Nintendogs game in a CD bin with some beatup PSX games. Check back every two or so weeks, because none of these games were there just 2 weeks prior.

And today I stopped at a Saver and picked up a dirty Dreamcast (for $15) with a controller, a burned Pacman disc in it, but without AV cables and power cord. Hopefully it isn't dead... I'll see in the next few days. At the same Saver they had a dozen or so Coleco and Atari Cartridges, but I don't have much interest in them.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-25-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Generally thrift stores around here aren't a great place to find video games for consoles, PC however sometimes there'll be a large stack that comes in but end up being $3 each, eventually $1 if you wait. I mainly venture into thrifts to look at records and electronics for they have some of the best deals. Furniture is also a good reason to check them out incase you need another shelf to put games on.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep... I'm typing on a 25 dollar computer desk from Goodwill. And I found some Shure Ipod headphones at one the other day that go for about 70-100 dollars... I guess I've heard that Target sends them their returns and they sell them cheap... I paid 4 bucks for them and they work great... Also a good place to find cheap video cables (again from closeouts at chain stores) because it's always good to have a few extra video and audio cables laying around.