Thread: Console ports of Populous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Console ports of Populous

Has anyone directly compared the Genesis and SNES versions of Populous? Someone told me that the SNES version has extra maps and stuff from the expansions (lacking in the earlier Genesis release), but that it runs slower than the Genesis version. Is this at all accurate? I also noticed that there's an SMS version; am I correct in assuming that it's just the Genesis version with worse graphics?

What is up with the PC Engine versions? Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's really weird that they exist. Did Hudson change anything?

While we're at it, which console version of Populous 2 is better?

I am so full of questions. I hope someone is full of answers!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Populous was one of my favorite games for my Genesis. My parents did not have a PC so this was the next best thing (I didn't even know a PC version existed until after I bought it).Anyway, I tried the SNES version at one point and I don't remember exactly about the map selections, but I can PROMISE you that the Genesis version was faster. The SNES version was very playable, but just didn't have the speed that Populous needs. Less maps or not, you can never go wrong with Genesis Populous. Now on Populous 2, I never remember playing any of the versions besides the PC. That version was excellent though (given that you have a PC).
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't comment on the speed of SNES populous, because I've never played it, but AFAIK, Genesis Populous is a straight port of plain vanilla Populous found on the Amiga. As are the PCE HuCard and SMS versions.

The SNES and PC-Engine CD conversions contain extra graphics and scenarios from the "expansion paks" (such as the Promised Lands on PCE-CD), where the houses, characters, and terrain are replaced with different themes, like French castles, futuristic polygons, computer/console items, etc... The PCE-CD version even has a Bomberman-themed world, as well as some nice redbook audio for all the different themed worlds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved Populous on the SNES. I used to play the hell out of it all the time and just had a blast with it. The speed is pretty sluggish (especially compared to the Genesis and PC verisons), but I agree that it's still quite playable and the extra scenarios more than make up for its technical drawbacks.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

If you're going to compare SNES vs. Genesis, the SNES version looks and sounds a little better (particularly sounds!) I used to do this program for Nintendo in Redmond where Nintendo Power subscribers were asked to come in and play soon-to-be released games (like a focus group) and rate them. When the SNES was being prepared for release here they had us play Populous and Drakkhen. I was so impressed by the sound on those games. The SNES's sound was one of it's biggest advantages over the competition, and the sound in Populous, while strange, is really amazing for the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Also, keep in mind that the Genesis version of Populous only works on the 1st Genesis model. It won't work on the Genesis 2 or 3 console revisions. Great game, I played it (1990 or early '91?) quite a bit. A few years later I played a friends SNES version and wasn't impressed. I don't remember the differences (if any) unfortunately.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Also, keep in mind that the Genesis version of Populous only works on the 1st Genesis model. It won't work on the Genesis 2 or 3 console revisions.
    Really? Why is that?

I played Populous on SNES, but no other format. It was slow like molasses.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Really? Why is that?

I played Populous on SNES, but no other format. It was slow like molasses.
    Because the first slew of Electronic Arts carts on the Genny were not licensed games. Sega decided to redesign the Genesis with a lockout chip that prevented EA, Accolade, and any other unlicensed publisher from manufacturing carts that would work on the system. Accolade sued Sega over it.

After awhile I think it became apparent to Sega that Madden was selling systems or something because later EA carts work on all Genesis models. Budokan is another EA cart that won't work on a model 1 Genesis. Can't remember the others.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was also a Populous port on the PS1 that wasn't too bad, but that's probably later than what anyone's thinking here. I'm trying to remember if it was just Populous or Populous: The Beginning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Budokan is another EA cart that won't work on a model 1 Genesis. Can't remember the others.
    One is Zany Golf.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES version of Populous has a world where all the graphics are like electronics and SNES (actually Super Famicom) controllers and systems and stuff. It's totally weird.

Populous was one of the first games I rented when I got my SNES back in 1991 and that night I literally spent all night playing it--like a 12 hour marathon session. It's weird, because I don't even really like Populous all that much, it's really kind of a shallow game. There was lots of different world environments that I saw in the SNES version of Populous that night that I never saw in the PC or Genesis versions that I played later, but that may just be because I never played that far into the game again. The Super Famicom themed world must be unique, though, at least.

I've been thinking recently that the DS needs some ports of games like Populous and MegaLoMania and stuff like that. It'd be perfect. What I'd really like to see is Civilization, that's a game I never played since I can't really get into playing games on my computer, but it always sounded cool.

...word is bondage...

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    The Super Famicom themed world must be unique, though, at least.
    Not completely unique. Remember that those extra levels were part of the expansion pack on computers. Whereas the SNES version had buildings that were Famicoms, NESes, SFCs, FDSes, and GameBoys, the Amiga (?) version had things like PCs, floppy disks, etc, with the two sides' (good and evil) flags showing Commodore and Atari logos, respectively.

The PCE-CD also has this world, but the buildings are different PCE, GT, and Supergrafx models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, so, in conclusion, the SNES version has the extra maps and scenarios from the expansions, but it's significantly slower than the Genesis version.

I guess the remaining question is, are those extras really significant, or are they just a bunch of unnecessary fluff?

Are the PC Engine versions full of Japanese text?

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Also, keep in mind that the Genesis version of Populous only works on the 1st Genesis model. It won't work on the Genesis 2 or 3 console revisions.
    Actually, it's not just any Model 1 Genesis, it has to be one of the earliest Model 1 units. The lockout was added in like, late '90 or early '91. But, I have one of the pre-lockout systems, so that's not an issue for me.

Anyway, didn't Populous get a post-lockout reprint? I remember hearing that Populous and Onslaught, two games that only worked on the original units, were reprinted to work with the later systems. So with both of those games, some copies do work and some don't. However, Budokan, Zany Golf, and Ishido were not reprinted.

In any case, any of those games actually will work on a later-model Genesis if you just use a Game Genie.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.