Thread: Having trouble with the 3.8mm game bit

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default Having trouble with the 3.8mm game bit

So I bought one of these tool bits to open up Nintendo cartridges from Electric Quarter, and I've had nothing but problems with it. I know it's supposed to be tight in NES games, but I've found it extremely tight in NES, SNES, and N64 carts to the point that it scrapes off plastic. That is, with what little I can actually turn it since it sticks so tight that it can barely move and I have to yank and rock it back and forth just to pull it out so I'm scared I'm going to crack the plastic of the cartridges. However, that's just the beginning of my problems because I can't even get the dang thing to grip the screws. I've also tried it in Game Boy carts and even a Super Famicom cart, where the holes are shallow enough that it won't get stuck, but I don't think I'm even getting it over the screw head.

Am I just being an idiot here and I'm doing something wrong? I got a driver for it, so it's not like I'm twisting it with my fingers. This doesn't make any sense to me; it should be this complicated, right? :/ Can anyone offer me any help or advice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the bit is tight on NES games this means that the bit is actually a 4.5mm screw bit and not the correct 3.8mm security screw bit. I would return the bit since it is the wrong size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Most of the time you have to file down the sides of the bit either with a file or a bench grinder to thin it out a little. I had to do this with the NES size bit that is included with the security screw bit set I've had for almost seven years and have had no problems since - just used it on some NES and GB games a moment ago. You may have the wrong size, but even with the right one expect to have to thin the sides down a little.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you had the 4.5mm one, you wouldn't even be able to get close to fitting that thing in the screw holes, so I'm guessing yours wasn't machined very well and you will have to file it a bit to get it smaller.

I've never heard of having to do this before, but hey, I learn something new every day on this forum. I have the two game bits (more like a tiny nub screwdriver and a T-Handle screwdriver)) I got from MCM in the early-mid 90s and I never had to file either of them. However, the 4.5 T handle one is a pain in the ass to use, and the smaller nub screwdriver I had to use a grinding wheel to file grips into the side of it, since it is also very unwiledy to use.

There's been times where I picked up a shiload of NES games and I spent 3 hours opening and cleaning them. My fingers would feel bruised for days after that. I really should just get the bit version.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Is this the same bit that would be used to open up an N64 system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Is this the same bit that would be used to open up an N64 system?
    The 4.5mm security screw bit is used to open N64 systems.

I have to say that I have never had the need to file down a security screw bit to get it to work correctly; do a lot of people have this problem with them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starwander View Post
    The 4.5mm security screw bit is used to open N64 systems.

I have to say that I have never had the need to file down a security screw bit to get it to work correctly; do a lot of people have this problem with them?
    Those that are part of a kit, as in just a bit that snaps into a screwdriver handle and shaft, usually need to be filed down a little. I will admit that most of these were produced within the past five years or so specifically for video game repair.

The kit I use is this one. That's an old review and the "tuning fork" bits are used to open NES power supplies.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I already compared it to the screws on a Genesis cart, and the hole is definitely too small to grip those screws so I'm positive it's not the 4.5mm bit.

I suppose I could file it down (I'd have to buy a file, though, and if I'm spending money and going to all the effort anyway, I'd almost prefer to just buy another bit that would fit perfectly from the get-go), but the tightness is only the secondary problem. I still can't really get it to grip anything. I FINALLY got one Game Boy cart open, but when I attempt to open others, I try to line up the notches perfectly and I push down firmly but it still just rolls off and around the screw head. That seems to be the case with the NES, SNES, and N64 games too, but it's hard to tell how well I'm making contact with the screw with the bit being so tightly lodged in the hole.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default On the N64 Bit

Alright I've had a problem opening the N64... I ordered the 3.8 mm and 4.5 mm bits from ebay (from 1 auction)... opened NES, SNES, & N64 carts with the 3.8.. but I could only get the 4.5 to work on my SNES... I understood that the N64 and SNES consoles use the same bits... and like I said I've opened the SNES with this 4.5 bit just fine, but I can' get it to work with 2 separate n64 systems I've had...

Nevermind.... I tried again.... and I thought before that I wasn't actually getting them to turn... well it is just incredibly easy... so I got it to work... Sorry for the post...
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-25-2007 at 06:20 PM.