Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last generation over too quickly

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Last generation over too quickly

Anyone else feel that the PS2, Xbox, & Gamecube ended just a little too soon? I'm just not ready to move into the next generation of gaming yet (new consoles, HDTV, motion sensors, ect). The PS2 could easily have run another three or four years, especially considering the incredible games that are coming out at the end of it's lifespan. The Xbox could've had more potential than it actually achieved, and the Gamecube I've barely even scratched it's library. It just seems like there is so much untapped potential for all three last generation consoles.

I guess that I have the PSP to carry the torch for the soon to be dead PS2, but third party support and decent first party titles seem to be shying away from the powerful handheld. A strategy I can't seem to grasp as it has been Sony's main draw since the inception of the original Playstation.

I have a feeling that I will be sitting this generation out for a long while and continue to enjoy all the titles of the last generation (at least until I get an HDTV, which doesn't seem to be on the radar anytime soon.)

So with all the talk of next generation gaming, who like me hasn't upgraded yet?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

It's not really even over. The PS2 is far from dead. The Xbox was the best looking, yet uglier than budget PC titles. The 360 just caught up with the latest tech. As far as the Gamecube goes, it could be argued that it's still here...only with a new controller.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

^^^ Exactly, the Wii is to this generation what the Dreamcast was to last generation.

Before you spit on my idea, hear me out!

Yes, the Dreamcast hit first, but it was underpowered compared to the PS2, Cube and XBOX. Nobody knows exactly what could have been done with it, as Shenmue II was the last huge game for it, but I can't imagine the DC being able to pull off MGS3 or God of War II visuals.

The Dreamcast was easy to make games for and had a TON of ports from the PS1/N64.

So the Wii, which has a ton of ports, is easier to make games for and is underpowered comes to market. The DC just didn't have Nintendo's image though, sadly.

And the last generation, to most gamer gamers, started in 1999 with the DC, so I believe a 7 year run till 2006 was more than enough time to switch generations.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Wishful thinking on PS2

Despite Sony's claims to the contrary, they only have a handful of titles on the upcoming release lists and I believe only a few new games were announced by third parties at E3. While I believe there will probably be some budget titles coming out for the next 1-2 years like various companies did for the PSOne, I don't think it will really be a viable system after the holidays this year.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's funny, the system that had the least need for a new system, was the first one to get one. Still, to this day, the Xbox 1 is a very powerful machine. It blows the PS2 and Cube away from a power standpoint. Just yesterday, I bought an old Xbox 1 for $65 on Craigslist. Came with a few games and two controllers. The fact that I can get that kind of technology for that price is just ridiculous. One of the games that came with it was the first Need for Speed Underground. To this day, I think NFS:U on Xbox is absolutely gorgeous. The game runs in 480p if you are using component cables and have hooked the Xbox up to a HDTV. I really think the visuals are almost next gen quality. Sure, the number of polys on the cars are way less than next gen, but the tracks and backgrounds and things like that look pretty damn next gen to me. I also played a bit of Jet Grind Radio Future and Halo 2. Both games look gorgeous in 480p. That's the thing about the Xbox 1, it might not have been as high def as a Xbox 360 or PS3, but it's still pretty damn High Def, even if only in 480p. The really amazing thing about the original Xbox right now, is that you can get alot of the games for super freaking cheap. GameCrazy is doing this 3 games for $10 thing on alot of old Xbox 1 games. That means you end up getting the games for $3.33 That's pretty darn cheap. And if you are a bargain hunter and you snipe games on Ebay, you can win some Xbox 1 auctions on Ebay for super cheap too. I'm telling you, the Xbox 1 is a helluva value. Buy a really cheap one off Craigslist, and scrounge up some cheap games and you're in business. I really think it needs to be seen in 480p though, to get the full effect. It's too bad the Xbox 1 never had a legit VGA cable. At least not that I know of. Man, playing the Xbox 1 after playing the Wii for a long time makes me think that the Wii's technology is nowhere near the Xbox 1. Not even close. It's a damn shame this system died so damn early. Also, why are third party companies not making any more Xbox 1 games? Games like Transformers, Pirates of the Carribean, Rattatouie and Harry Potter would have looked damn good on the Xbox 1. All those games are on the Wii and look like ass. Why did 3rd parties totally stop making Xbox 1 games? PS2 games are still selling. Just because Microsoft abandoned the Xbox 1 didn't mean the 3rd parties had to. I guess they figure if you can't go to a store and buy a brand new Xbox, then why should they release any new games for it. But there are millions of Xbox 1's out there, and I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind getting the Transformers on it, or something like that.
    Last edited by Anthony1; 07-11-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too soon?

PS2- Oct 2000, “replaced” Nov 2006
    XBOX- Nov 2001, “replaced” Nov 2005
    GC- Nov 2001, “replaced” Nov 2006

The PS2 had over 6 years on the market before the PS3 was replaced, the Wii had 5. The only oddball was the XBOX with its 4 year shelf life and that was only because of Microsoft’s obsession to overthrow Sony. The GC was a losing battle so the Wii was a step in the right direction.

To me, the only goof-up was the XBOX. I think MS could have waited another year to pop the 360 out.

As for the 5 year on the market thing, look at Nintendo’s track record:

NES- Feb 1986 (full US launch), SNES- Aug 1991 (5 years, 6 months)
    SNES- Aug 1991, N64- Sept 1996 (5 years, 1 month)
    N64- Sept 1996, GC- Nov 2001 (5 years, 2 months)
    GC- Nov 2001, Wii- Nov 2006 (5 years)

They seem to hold to a close pattern of console releases so this round is no different give or take a few months.

BTW…I’d use Sega as an example but their 90’s list of system releases and add-on’s really is screwy so it’s hard to use that data.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was ready for the next gen, till I saw the "New" prices!? Now I hope the PS2 keeps pumping theim out for a few more years

The PS2 and the Xbox had/have a really nice fully packed line-up overall, DC/Xbox/Cube were killed off way to fast, it's moved on way to fast for my wallet since the DC, PS2, Cube, Xbox. <--- I really sent a lot $$$$ last gen

360? PS3? Wii? I'm not ready let, but like others have said, 5-7 years is a nice run.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    I was ready for the next gen, till I saw the "New" prices!? Now I hope the PS2 keeps pumping theim out for a few more years

The PS2 and the Xbox had/have a really nice fully packed line-up overall, DC/Xbox/Cube were killed off way to fast, it's moved on way to fast for my wallet since the DC, PS2, Cube, Xbox. <--- I really sent a lot $$$$ last gen

360? PS3? Wii? I'm not ready let, but like others have said, 5-7 years is a nice run.
    I can agree. The nxext gen stuff is nice, but prices are more than I feel like paying. I can't afford a HDTV right now, so I don't see a point in getting a ps3 or a 360.

I don't like how fast stuff has changed, but it is not that big of a problem. I spend a lot of time on cheapassgamer.com. The benefit of being cheap is that I'm patient. They cut this gen off a little early, but I'll just sit back and pick up stuff as it is marked down. I like getting games for $20 or less anyways.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    To me, the only goof-up was the XBOX. I think MS could have waited another year to pop the 360 out.

The problem with that theory, is what if that year headstart ends up being the key factor that wins MS no.1 marketshare in the USA for this next generation?

I will say, that although the 1 year headstart was probably the smart decision, I don't think they needed to decapitate the Xbox 1 in the process. They could have kept it somewhat alive. Of course they didn't want to continue to manufacture the Xbox 1 hardware, because they lost money on every console, but I don't think they needed to completely kill all internal Xbox 1 game development, or advertising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

No, the timing was about right. The only company I think really did the transition poorly was Microsoft and the third parties that sold titles on the Xbox. It's like when the 360 came out, the Xbox didn't exist along with its user base. I feel like I got shafted out of some games that could have been ported easily to the old big brick.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, we're getting older and time is flying by faster and faster. The Nintendo era was a really long five years to me, and it does seem like the PS2 era passed much faster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The life span was fine on the GCN & PS2, but like already mentioned, the Xbox got killed way too early.

But I'm far from finished with the last generation. It will take me a long to time catch up on all the games I want.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Anthony, the Xbox should've stuck around for just a bit. That's a good thing about Sony, they really are pushing for 5+ lifecycles.

I must say though, it is the time for a "next gen". I've been playing my 360 for the last 6 months or so, and recently went back to the GC RE4. Two years ago that game was just about the best looking console game out there. It's starting to look a bit dated now. Obviously, the "next gen" isn't going to necessarily improve gameplay, but it certainly improves graphically and audibly.

Also, I'm not playing a a HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES, Genesis, and PSX each had around 9 years between US launch and final US game. To keep up the trend, PS2's final game would have to come out in 2009... which seems likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AMG View Post
    The life span was fine on the GCN & PS2, but like already mentioned, the Xbox got killed way too early.

But I'm far from finished with the last generation. It will take me a long to time catch up on all the games I want.
    agreed

The Xbox 1 had soo much more untapped potential and Microsoft really did burn many Xbox 1 gamers in not continuing support for the first Xbox for at least a year or so after the launch of the 360 although I do understand the reasons Microsoft did what they did.

Nintendo really buried the Gamecube faster than any other big N console before it (and no that doesnt include the virtual boy) in that they practically tried to hide the fact that Twilight Princess was released for the GC as well as the Wii.

In fact the GC was one of my favorite "last gen" systems for a long time but the continued support for the PS2 and all the great games released for the PS2 finally won me over and thats why I have two PS2s and collect for it right now until I pick up a 360 or PS3 within the next 6 months or so.

I will someday go back to collecting for the GC once I pick up a cheap Gamecube console AGAIN but for some reason ive passed on that chance time and time again since there are around 100 games I still want for PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922 View Post
    agreed

The Xbox 1 had soo much more untapped potential and Microsoft really did burn many Xbox 1 gamers in not continuing support for the first Xbox for at least a year or so after the launch of the 360 although I do understand the reasons Microsoft did what they did.

No doubt, Doom 3 looks awesome to this day. The Xbox was a powerhouse of a console. But I too understand why they moved on.

Nintendo really buried the Gamecube faster than any other big N console before it (and no that doesnt include the virtual boy) in that they practically tried to hide the fact that Twilight Princess was released for the GC as well as the Wii.

I noticed this too.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last gen is still new to me.

Xbox: got it less than a year ago, just recently starting to build up the collection
    PS2: also got it less than a year ago, don't really have much games
    GC: had it for 3 years, but still haven't played all the great games for it
    DC: had it for 6 years, still my main console

There are still a ton of games that I missed and now is the best time to get them because of the cheaper prices. The current generation is more than I would like to spend (I've never paid more than $100 for a console). Dead Rising and the other Xbox 360 games sound tempting though, but I haven't even scratched the surface of the Xbox library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    It's funny, the system that had the least need for a new system, was the first one to get one. Still, to this day, the Xbox 1 is a very powerful machine. It blows the PS2 and Cube away from a power standpoint. Just yesterday, I bought an old Xbox 1 for $65 on Craigslist. Came with a few games and two controllers. The fact that I can get that kind of technology for that price is just ridiculous. One of the games that came with it was the first Need for Speed Underground. To this day, I think NFS:U on Xbox is absolutely gorgeous. The game runs in 480p if you are using component cables and have hooked the Xbox up to a HDTV. I really think the visuals are almost next gen quality. Sure, the number of polys on the cars are way less than next gen, but the tracks and backgrounds and things like that look pretty damn next gen to me. I also played a bit of Jet Grind Radio Future and Halo 2. Both games look gorgeous in 480p. That's the thing about the Xbox 1, it might not have been as high def as a Xbox 360 or PS3, but it's still pretty damn High Def, even if only in 480p. The really amazing thing about the original Xbox right now, is that you can get alot of the games for super freaking cheap. GameCrazy is doing this 3 games for $10 thing on alot of old Xbox 1 games. That means you end up getting the games for $3.33 That's pretty darn cheap. And if you are a bargain hunter and you snipe games on Ebay, you can win some Xbox 1 auctions on Ebay for super cheap too. I'm telling you, the Xbox 1 is a helluva value. Buy a really cheap one off Craigslist, and scrounge up some cheap games and you're in business. I really think it needs to be seen in 480p though, to get the full effect. It's too bad the Xbox 1 never had a legit VGA cable. At least not that I know of. Man, playing the Xbox 1 after playing the Wii for a long time makes me think that the Wii's technology is nowhere near the Xbox 1. Not even close. It's a damn shame this system died so damn early. Also, why are third party companies not making any more Xbox 1 games? Games like Transformers, Pirates of the Carribean, Rattatouie and Harry Potter would have looked damn good on the Xbox 1. All those games are on the Wii and look like ass. Why did 3rd parties totally stop making Xbox 1 games? PS2 games are still selling. Just because Microsoft abandoned the Xbox 1 didn't mean the 3rd parties had to. I guess they figure if you can't go to a store and buy a brand new Xbox, then why should they release any new games for it. But there are millions of Xbox 1's out there, and I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind getting the Transformers on it, or something like that.

WALL OF TEXT ALERT! Paragraphs please, it makes your post much easier to read.