Thread: 11.6 million 360 consoles are faulty

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 11.6 million 360 consoles are faulty

MS have now admited that 11.6 million 360 consoles are faulty due to a design flaw. Isnt that like 100%? In other words, if you go to the store today and pick up a 360 you will get a machine thats faulty :\ It doesnt mean that it will crash tho, but since there is a design flaw, it might stop working. Really sux for MS, i hope they fix this problem as soon as possible.

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CII...&src=site-marq

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

There isn't even a quote in the article saying that.
    Lame

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    There isn't even a quote in the article saying that.
    Lame
    Saying what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    MS have now admited that 11.6 million 360 consoles are faulty due to a design flaw.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, true that, its not a direct quote from MS in the article, but i dont really doubt that it can be true what it says.
    Last edited by jajaja; 07-12-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A design flaw? Singular? The red ring is one thing but there are lots of DVD drive problems with the system, too. I've had the drives on 2 systems fail on me. I recently read that there's a lawsuit as a result of the system scratching discs, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well this sucks for MS and for me too. I was thinking about picking one up soon but now i don't know if I want to take the risk.

i know they are fixing them but I don't live in the US so returning a faulty one is really hard for me to do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Quote Originally Posted by classicb View Post
    well this sucks for MS and for me too. I was thinking about picking one up soon but now i don't know if I want to take the risk.

i know they are fixing them but I don't live in the US so returning a faulty one is really hard for me to do
    Instead of thinking how it sucks for you, think instead how great it is for you. Now you've just saved a good deal of $$ on a system that could have later given you a number of problems. Atleast you know more information about what you wanted to buy. Think of all the people who bought one who didnt know who've been fighting MS to get their system working without realizing it was a flaw in the system rather then how they used it?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy View Post
    A design flaw? Singular? The red ring is one thing but there are lots of DVD drive problems with the system, too. I've had the drives on 2 systems fail on me. I recently read that there's a lawsuit as a result of the system scratching discs, too.
    My drive has butchered my History Channel Presents: Civil War disc. I've got all kinds of nasty circular lens scratches on it, and now 3 of the 12 levels won't even load for me anymore. Where can I go to get in on this lawsuit?
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Unbeliveable. No, really. I haven't had such problems. Sometimes my 360's DVD Drive wouldn't eject, And sometimes guitar hero 2 would tell me to put it in a 360 (Bull) But I don't get problems like the red rings, And my 360 is on for at least 9 hours every day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

Luckily I haven't picked up a 360 yet, due to internet issues that I want resolved before I get one so I can play against my friends online. But if scratched discs is your problem...i could always fix them...for a nominal fee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

My drive is acting kind of dumb too, I'll go open it by pressing the button, the green light will flash for about 5 seconds and then the drive closes itself. Now, when I reopen it, it either:

A) Closes without a problem, loads the game fine
    B) When I try to close it, it'll think it's closed already, meaning it'll just sit open until I FORCE it shut, which can't be good for it.

At least it RARELY gives me DREs, like maybe 2-3 times since it's started doing this. And all those were on really crappy discs. (rentals)

So long as the console stays alive long enough for the 65nm Elites to ship I'll be happy, but then again I should be happy already considering how much use mine has got and is still ticking...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb View Post

I think that all risk has been replaced by inconvenience now that Microsoft has decided to warrant the 360 for three years. If it doesn't fail in three years then I honestly wouldn't worry about it. And if it does fail the defect will be resolved when it's sent to MS for repair.

Honestly I'm more likely to purchase a 360 now than I was a few weeks ago. I'm just holding out for a price drop.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope they drop the price soon, I doubt they will.. but it would help them down the road against sony..
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the 360 was already defective because they chose to use lower-end processors that barely pass inspection at the plants. Of course there's a low probability the instructions you're executing are missing on the chip.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

It's official. I'm waiting for a redesign before I pick up a 360. I toyed with the idea of picking up an Elite next week, but it's just not worth the risk, since I'll also be leaving the country in a few weeks.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    I thought the 360 was already defective because they chose to use lower-end processors that barely pass inspection at the plants. Of course there's a low probability the instructions you're executing are missing on the chip.
    Huh, what? The Xenon is a custom chip, there's only one company in the world that manufactures them, and there's only one device in the world that uses them.

Prey tell, how can there be a "low end" and a "high end" version of the chip?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the 3yr warranty but my only issue with the whole thing is I would have preferred my original system fixed and returned. The system I received was a refurb and I noticed dust buildup on the fans an a little inside the dvd tray.

The outer casing looked mint and clean but mine was mint and clean inside and out just broken. That was a slight killjoy.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    It's official. I'm waiting for a redesign before I pick up a 360.
    I agree with this BUT Im not sure Ill actually wait for a complete "redesign" in that IMO just about any console made after say June '07 SHOULD have most of the design flaws fixed in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I think that all risk has been replaced by inconvenience now that Microsoft has decided to warrant the 360 for three years. If it doesn't fail in three years then I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
    The question is will ANY xbox360 that was made before early '07 actually last 3 years?
    Im not a fanboy but damn I just dont believe that 90% of the 360s made up to this point will last more than 2 years AT THE MOST.

I had been seriously considering putting buku $$$ into a 360 and games and accessories but lately the 360 has been looking more and more like a jumbled piece of tech that was RUSHED into production much faster than it should have been in order for Microsoft to beat Sony to the starting line.

Sure we have all read this type of stuff before but now it seems to hold water and has become more fact than simple rumors and fanboy rants.

Right now my opinion of the Xbox360 as a reliable well made console has been significantly diminished to say the least.