Thread: Yobo VS original nes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Default Yobo VS original nes

I have a yobo and an original nes they both work fine and dont ask me why i have both . all i want to know is should i use the yobo fc game console or the original NES
    thanks to all who reply!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

the yobo makes some games sound funny. Audio wise i mean. Try Super TecmoBowl and see for yourself. It does it on a lot of other games too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Yobo is pretty lax on compatibility. I'm not expecting it to play every single game, but there is a lot of games that just dont work that work on yobo consoles that others own, like roadblasters, gyromite, street fighter 2010, Maniac Mansion...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post
    I have a yobo and an original nes they both work fine and dont ask me why i have both .
    Hey, I know someone who has several original NES consoles, a Yobo, and a Generation NEX. I think he has a top loader too, though I don't remember. And it's safe to say that there's a good number of people here who have at least a couple of those if not all of them. So don't feel weird about it.

Anyways, an original NES is worth keeping around for those games that just don't play right (or at all) on the Yobo.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

A yobo is good if you are on a budget, but nothing beats a good ol toaster with a gold 72 pin. I agree with keeping the toaster og version around for the games that dont play. Audio can be wonky on the NEX and yobo with some games, and certain games(castlevania III) I do believe dont play on the yobo.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    A yobo is good if you are on a budget, but nothing beats a good ol toaster with a gold 72 pin. I agree with keeping the toaster og version around for the games that dont play. Audio can be wonky on the NEX and yobo with some games, and certain games(castlevania III) I do believe dont play on the yobo.
    Right, if you're a Castlevania 3 or Gauntlet fan, don't buy a yobo, you won't be able to play either

Original top loaders made by Nintendo have come down on price a lot on ebay, if you want the true compatibility, you can get one below 70 dollars if you're patient

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well, if you are looking to have a good condition NES around for collecting or display purposes, then play as many games as you can on the Yobo. Sure, the graphics and sound ain't great on some games but I say it is better to wear out a $20 product than an original NES. Actually, that is one reason why I do own a Yobo. Sooner or later, the 72-pin connector on your NES will wear out if you're using it too often. So you might as well put that same wear and tear on a cheapie version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not personally familiar with the Yobos. The only complaint I've heard is with sound issues, as others have mentioned here. I personally own a NEX, which is a clone like the Yobo but more expensive and better quality. And I prefer the NEX over the NES. I own 4 toaster NESes, but as beloved as the NES is, we all know that it also ranks up as one of the most frustrating consoles ever. None of my 4 systems works as well as I'd like. Blowing in games and taking 15 minutes just to get a game to finally work is a pain in the ass-- even worse is when the game starts messing up right while you're in the middle of playing it. Countless times I've had to restart an NES game just because the console screwed up a couple hours in. Sure, I guess installing a new 72 pin connector might take care of this completely, but I'm completely satisfied with the NEX. I personally haven't noticed any sound issues yet, and it plays the games perfect without going through all the blowing and blinking. I'd assume that the Yobo alleviates this problem as well, and that's basically the only benefit of using it over the original NES.

I guess purists will say that you have to play on the original system or nothing at all, and this may be a valid point. But if you're just interested in enjoying the games and avoiding all the hassles that come with the NES, then nothing wrong with using the Yobo and similar systems.
    Last edited by MF_Luder; 07-15-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by MF_Luder View Post
    Sure, I guess installing a new 72 pin connector might take care of this completely, but I'm completely satisfied with the NEX. I personally haven't noticed any sound issues yet, and it plays the games perfect without going through all the blowing and blinking.
    $4 72 pin connector > $60 NOAC

You could always get a Top Loader, it's better than getting a Nintenclone and you won't have to worry about compatibility problems. The prices for them have seemed to go down on E-Bay, so you'll be able to find one for the same price (or lower) as the NEX.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    $4 72 pin connector > $60 NOAC
    , I know, but I'm lazy and don't feel like installing one and probably ruining my NES in the process. I got my NEX for $30 on eBay (before shipping) and it included a bunch of NES games and accessories as well. A 72 pin connector would be more than $4 for me... I do not have any places locally to buy one so I would buy it on eBay, where they go for like $10 or so shipped. So I get what you're saying, and you're probably right, but I'm still satisfied. Plus, the NEX also plays Famicom games, so it has allowed me to collect a few of those, which I would have never done otherwise.

You could always get a Top Loader, it's better than getting a Nintenclone and you won't have to worry about compatibility problems. The prices for them have seemed to go down on E-Bay, so you'll be able to find one for the same price (or lower) as the NEX.
    Again, I agree with what you're saying here-- using an original NES system is always better than owning a clone. And the top-loader is superior to even the NEX because it eliminates the problem the connector in the "toaster" had, while still being an original Nintendo system. However, in terms of pricing, a used top-loader on eBay still goes for a bit more than a used NEX on eBay... close to twice as much sometimes. But I agree, of any NES system original or clone, the top-loader is the superior choice if you're willing to spend for it.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF_Luder View Post
    , I know, but I'm lazy and don't feel like installing one and probably ruining my NES in the process.
    I guess I am the same way. I flat out refuse to open a system every few years, for the rest of my natural life, just because Nintendo didn't get it right the first time. I don't like Castlevania III and Gauntlet that much, so I'll use a clone/NOAC product. I haven't had to crack open an Atari 2600, Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo yet, so why should I feel obligated to do the same with an NES?

The other problem? When it comes to "fixing" stuff, I am a tremendous klutz. I'm just bad with tools. Real bad. Think Tim Allen's character (Tim Taylor) in Home Improvement. I already tried the "bending the pins back into place" method with disastrous results. Furthermore, I'm damned if I am paying insane prices for an NES system with a newly installed connector that will eventually need yet another one anyway. Who will put in the next connector? Not me.

As for the top-loader, I am just too cheap to hunt down the Game Genie adapter and I don't trust my ability at modding the system for it to fit. Why do I need the Game Genie to begin with? I'll admit it. I'm just not good enough at some games to see their ending without the device. Plus I like making some games I can beat handily a little bit harder
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-16-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Dude, I even did the pin connector swap on my NES and I am a technical reject.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    And there's not that big of a possibility of messing up your NES, either. All you have to do is disassemble the NES, carefully remove the cart connector, insert the new one, reassemble, and you're done.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    I did heavy duty surgery to my NES back when I was 14. I had two NES systems, one with a damaged case (worked great), another with a good case (barely worked at all) and I swapped the internals without a problem. Mind you that I was barely able to turn a screw at that age, let alone tell a between a Philips and Flathead.

So if a technical retard could do a system swap, then anyone can replace/bend the pins back in place.

So the above people are either A) advertisers for Messiah or B) hopeless.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's how I see it...

The original NES consoles are almost everywhere and can be bought so cheap. Cleaning the original pin connector or installing a new one will be an easy, quick process. Once, complete, you have a system that works with ALL games, as it should. Why settle for a clone that has less than perfect compatibility?
    Scream And Fly - High Performance Powerboating Online
    My Personal Weblog
    My Feedback!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got tired of my toaster so I purchased a top loader. Every now and then I have to blow the connectors for it to work due to playing newly bought, used, dirty ass carts that should've be cleaned before shoving them in. Oh well. The only thing that really pisses me off is I bought the console on eBay for $60 shipped and there ended up being a crack on the front that wasn't listed and the picture didn't do it justice. I plan on eventually gutting it and building a new shell that'd make it look unique, detailed and freaking sweet.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    Anyways, an original NES is worth keeping around for those games that just don't play right (or at all) on the Yobo.
    Indeed. I would use the Yobo (if I had one) for most games, and then use the NES for those that just don't seem to play right. I'm just considering the age of an NES compared to the Yobo, and the rarety of its originality (given that most have replacement parts.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then again, you could use an emulator. (How many people quivered with fear when I said that?) In reality, you could use the ROMs based on the cartridges you already have without having any sort of legal concern. The Yobo has had mixed reviews, and the NES continues deteriorating as we speak, so why not play both systems when you are on a nostalgia kick, and leave the everyday gameplay to an emulator? That is what I am left to, anyway, for my systems are unfortunately packed in boxes as of right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgicblight View Post
    The Yobo has had mixed reviews, and the NES continues deteriorating as we speak, so why not play both systems when you are on a nostalgia kick, and leave the everyday gameplay to an emulator?
    I would be surprised if an emulator could provide a better gameplay experience than even a Yobo, sound issues and all. But I will admit that I've never used an emulator, so I'm just assuming that. Personally I hope it stays that way for me-- most of the fun for me is in using the old original hardware. Let's face it, for all the "classics", there's an even larger portion of older games that weren't good to begin with... and they certainly aren't getting better with age. So sometimes it's knowing that you're using stuff that's 20 years old that makes up for the fact that the game you're playing isn't all that great.

And now in addition to emulators we have things like the Wii Virtual Console, XBL Arcade, and GameTap. I'm still split on how I feel on this. In some ways it's great because it opens up classic gaming to a wider audience. In other ways it feels like it cheapens the efforts we have made through the years to amass a solid collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I did heavy duty surgery to my NES back when I was 14. I had two NES systems, one with a damaged case (worked great), another with a good case (barely worked at all) and I swapped the internals without a problem. Mind you that I was barely able to turn a screw at that age, let alone tell a between a Philips and Flathead.

So if a technical retard could do a system swap, then anyone can replace/bend the pins back in place.

So the above people are either A) advertisers for Messiah or B) hopeless.

I think "A" would also imply "B" if I was trolling Digital Press boards to sell a product. Sorry that I like the NEX. I paid $30 for it. It comes with a handy pocket NES pricing guide from Digital Press, and it plays Famicom games without me having to buy a separate unit. A new NES connector would have cost me $10 shipped... so I spent an extra $20 and you're saying that that was a bad investment? I saw that Joe sells those for $60 (i think) in his store, and I didn't see any of the cheap knock-offs (like Yobo) in his store anywhere (although I may have just missed it if they are there). So A) people must buy it and B) it must say something if he's willing to carry the NEX but not any knock-off clones.

I am not trying to claim at all that the NEX provides a superior experience to a Nintendo-made console. I am simply saying that it was well worth my $30 investment. And if you are so insistent on people being cheap and replacing the 72-pin connectors than I don't understand how you can recommend the Nintendo top-loader at $70+ per system.?? At that price, you might as well pay half and get a used NEX. And if someone doesn't want to spend the price for a NEX, there's nothing wrong with getting a Yobo either. What about for people that don't own an NES yet? A toaster NES goes for about $30 on eBay, plus $10 for the new connector. You can easily get a Yobo for half that, so I see nothing wrong with people doing that. If you're a hardcore NES fan than go for an original system, but if you just want to casually play the games than a clone is more than adequate.