Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yobo VS original nes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Well, if you are looking to have a good condition NES around for collecting or display purposes, then play as many games as you can on the Yobo. Sure, the graphics and sound ain't great on some games but I say it is better to wear out a $20 product than an original NES. Actually, that is one reason why I do own a Yobo. Sooner or later, the 72-pin connector on your NES will wear out if you're using it too often. So you might as well put that same wear and tear on a cheapie version.
    But the NES is a $20 product!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by MF_Luder View Post
    And if you are so insistent on people being cheap and replacing the 72-pin connectors than I don't understand how you can recommend the Nintendo top-loader at $70+ per system.?? At that price, you might as well pay half and get a used NEX.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I was able to get a Top Loader for a pretty decent price. If you wait a little bit and gradually search on E-bay, you can get anything for a great price. I got mind for around $55, shipping included. It came with a Dogbone, a game and all of the original connections, I guess everyone else just lucked out.

I never once said that anybody was cheap, I just simply said that installing the 72 pin is soo easy, even a Caveman could do it. In fact I might do that for one of my friends and give his girl a NES for her birthday, since they've asked me a few times in the past to borrow mine.

I'm sorry if my opinion offends you, but it really does sound like blatant advertising, not that theres anything wrong with that. Just as long as you don't start advertising crummy CW shows, we've had enough of that here for a lifetime.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I did heavy duty surgery to my NES back when I was 14. I had two NES systems, one with a damaged case (worked great), another with a good case (barely worked at all) and I swapped the internals without a problem. Mind you that I was barely able to turn a screw at that age, let alone tell a between a Philips and Flathead.

So if a technical retard could do a system swap, then anyone can replace/bend the pins back in place.

So the above people are either A) advertisers for Messiah or B) hopeless.
    If I were A, why would I be advertising a product which is going to be two years old pretty soon? I'd have been doing that when it first came out and I would have been in all of those Generation NEX threads that got locked. Yeah, admitting to actually liking a maligned consumer product means I'm getting a kickback from somebody. Come on.

Some people must have misunderstood me. I said I am not good enough with tools to bend the pins on an existing connector back into place, which is what some people choose to do.

Swapping connectors?

Yes, I'm sure I could swap connectors easily enough. I simply choose not to. As I've said in half a dozen threads around here, I'm not going to be a slave to opening up a toaster NES and changing the 72-pin connector every time it wears out for the rest of my life. Not to mention paying for each connector, even if they are really inexpensive. I don't have to pay what amounts to maintenace fees for any other cartridge system I own, nor do I have to open any of them up on a regular basis just to get them to play a lousy 30 minutes of my favorite games. Hell with that, I'm putting my damn foot down.
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-16-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I was able to get a Top Loader for a pretty decent price. If you wait a little bit and gradually search on E-bay, you can get anything for a great price. I got mind for around $55, shipping included. It came with a Dogbone, a game and all of the original connections, I guess everyone else just lucked out.

I never once said that anybody was cheap, I just simply said that installing the 72 pin is soo easy, even a Caveman could do it. In fact I might do that for one of my friends and give his girl a NES for her birthday, since they've asked me a few times in the past to borrow mine.

I'm sorry if my opinion offends you, but it really does sound like blatant advertising, not that theres anything wrong with that. Just as long as you don't start advertising crummy CW shows, we've had enough of that here for a lifetime.

I guess if you wait around long enough and snipe multiple auctions, you could eventually score a cheap one, but that applies to everything on eBay (I once got Alien vs Predator [Jaguar] on eBay for under $10 and was sure everyone else on eBay had died for the day).

But overall, you'll pay more for a top-loader than you will for an NES or clone. It might sound like advertising because it's a current product on the market.... but look at it more objectively.... I don't think it comes off as any more of an advertisement than someone saying "Man, God of War 2 is an awesome game, you gotta buy it!" It's not like those people work for Sony . Now, hey, if someone buys a NEX as a result of mine and Bangtango's recommendations, than I'm certainly happy for them. But I bought my NEX used and I recommend to anyone else that they try to find it used as well, if possible. I love mine, but wouldn't have spent $60 on it. EDIT: Crap, now Messiah is going to fire me for recommending used systems instead of new ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr.soul View Post
    But the NES is a $20 product!
    At a yard sale, some flea markets, this forum or a few pawn shops, it might be.

In most Ebay auctions or online stores, no. Go to a .com store that sells video game products, looking to buy a "Original NES with NEW 72-pin connector" and expect it for $20 shipped then see how far you get. Same with Ebay auctions, unless you snipe about 50 of them. The only way I consistently get "steals" is to bid on auctions with a seller that has questionable feedback or a seller who lists an item as "untested because I don't have the hook-ups" or "untested because I don't have the games needed to test the system (or the system needed to test these games)........"

I have a hard time classifying an original NES as a $20 product when 50% of the places that sell them (just a guess) have them higher than $20 before shipping.

Fact is, I've already made up my mind about toaster NES systems. I love using top-loaders but every time I find them for $5 at a lawn sale or thrift store, I can't resist the opportunity to turn around and sell it for a half decent profit online. I've owned four of them but I've never paid "full" price for one, that's for sure. All four have been $6 or less.
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-17-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely get what you're saying about buying stuff online, bangtango. It's only a $20 product for me because I do absolutely none of my shopping online. In my experiences they're all over the place for cheap if you know where to look. These days I wouldn't dream of finding a NES under $20 on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

thanks for the replys every one! I think im gonna play yobo most of the time unless i wanna play a game like gaunlet or am wanting to feel some nostalgia. but heres another question, should i use the original nes controoller or the yobo one? sometimes the nes controllerfeels like it works better and other times yobo one feels best. What do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr.soul View Post
    I definitely get what you're saying about buying stuff online, bangtango. It's only a $20 product for me because I do absolutely none of my shopping online. In my experiences they're all over the place for cheap if you know where to look. These days I wouldn't dream of finding a NES under $20 on eBay.
    Yeah, I find about 3-4 toasters a year offline for $10 or less. Since I'm not a fan of toasters, though, I'd sooner spend that $5-10 on a Genesis, Nintendo 64, Super NES, etc. for the same price, something that has a better chance of working problem-free. The problem with the NES systems you find offline for $20 or less is that you have to assume the connector is shot or on the way out. Well, once I got lucky and ended up with a $12 system that fired games up as if it were brand new. I'd never seen such great performance from a toaster since I was a kid. Naturally, I gave it to my nephew for a birthday present. I know a store in my area that sells NES systems with new 72-pin connectors installed, which they do in the store. Naturally, they are well above $20.

I know what I should do. One of these days, I need to hold onto a top-loader I find inside of a thrift store for $5 instead of flipping it on Ebay for $50-60. I just hate the lack of Game Genie support unless you buy the adapter or do a little surgery on your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post
    thanks for the replys every one! I think im gonna play yobo most of the time unless i wanna play a game like gaunlet or am wanting to feel some nostalgia. but heres another question, should i use the original nes controoller or the yobo one? sometimes the nes controllerfeels like it works better and other times yobo one feels best. What do you think?
    The NES controller is going to work the best, especially if you are playing a game like Bionic Commando. Safe to say it also feels the best, since it is a decent size and not too flimsy.
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-17-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my Yobo last year(?) after trading in old games- purchase price was $30 at this place, I've seen it for more. I never owned an original NES but have played enough NES to know I'm satisfied w/ my Yobo.

I havent had any compatibility probs. w/ any game I have (including Gyromite) but I dont have CV III or Gauntlet (but already have 4 vers. of THAT game!)

My games:
    SMB/Duck Hunt
    Gyromite
    Rad Racer
    Popeye
    Wrecking Crew
    Mario Bros.
    Gyruss
    Gumshoe
    RC Pro-Am
    Golf
    Hogans Alley
    Blades of Steel
    BaseWars
    Track & Field

I also had Gradius & Archon but not anymore.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I got my Yobo last year(?) after trading in old games- purchase price was $30 at this place, I've seen it for more. I never owned an original NES but have played enough NES to know I'm satisfied w/ my Yobo.

I havent had any compatibility probs. w/ any game I have (including Gyromite) but I dont have CV III or Gauntlet (but already have 4 vers. of THAT game!)

My games:
    SMB/Duck Hunt
    Gyromite
    Rad Racer
    Popeye
    Wrecking Crew
    Mario Bros.
    Gyruss
    Gumshoe
    RC Pro-Am
    Golf
    Hogans Alley
    Blades of Steel
    BaseWars
    Track & Field

I also had Gradius & Archon but not anymore.
    Zelda doesn't look perfect on the Yobo, since the overworld map gets scrambled. That isn't a problem until you are in a dungeon and trying to decipher where you are from that jumbled mess. Since I know the game fairly well, it isn't an issue for me but I still bomb walls that are WAAAAAY over to the left/right of the map or in areas of the dungeon where there would never be a hidden room. Pity to waste those things, the bombs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

hey BangTango i thought you had a a generation nex? Did somthin happen to it a or did you get a yobo just for the hell of it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post
    hey BangTango i thought you had a a generation nex? Did somthin happen to it a or did you get a yobo just for the hell of it?
    I own both of them and yeah, I got the Yobo for the heck of it. $20 is all it was.