Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Sony's Jack Tretton: Wii is a "lollipop", 360 an "unreliable cook" (gamepro.com)

  1. #1
    Bell (Level 8) 7th lutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,777
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default Sony's Jack Tretton: Wii is a "lollipop", 360 an "unreliable cook" (gamepro.com)

    http://gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/...s/122948.shtml

    Jack Tretton makes the comments about the 2 systems in an interview with gamepro.com. The comments are found on page 2 while calling his system Surf 'n Turf.

    The full answer to one of the questions of the interview was the follwing was the Following:

    How would you describe each current game console if you had to describe it as a meal or food?

    JT: I probably couldn't do it objectively.

    You don't need to be objective!

    I think the PS3 is the Surf 'n Turf. You want the lobster and steak and you're going to give yourself the treat of getting the best thing on the menu. The PS2 is your favorite burger restaurant -- you go there for comfort food and it's just always good and is a good value.

    [As for the other two consoles], one [Wii] is a lollipop, and I'm too old for lollipops. The other one [Xbox 360] I get sick from once in a while because the cook isn't always reliable.

    There are other parts of the interview, but this was the highlight of the interview with it.

    I've had surf'n Turf before and it tastes great, but the ps 3 is not surf'n Turf at this time. The ps 1 and the ps 2 are only Sony Home gaming console systems I considered Surf'n Turf at this time. It is too early to tell with the ps 3.

    I understand called the 360 unreliable cook due to the red rings of death with the system. The wii comparsion is outdated. Nintendo is aiming at a different audience then the 360 and the ps 3, but the system is not completely aimed at kids. The wii is also aimed at people who aren't gamers and those people are adults.

  2. #2
    Kirby (Level 13) Push Upstairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere between the past and the future
    Posts
    5,464
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I believe the proper term for the PS3 would be "over-priced meal".

    Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

    You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz



  3. #3
    Late to the party DigitalSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,626
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Man, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone at Sony said something hilarious again.

    (And props to Gamepro for their absolutely stupid question.)

    Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

  4. #4
    Crono (Level 14)
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,332
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    PS3 is like the concession stand menu at the movie theater. You could get the overpriced medium soda (PS3 60GB) for $4.00 or you can get the Extra Large Value sized soda (PS3 80GB) for only $1.00 more!

    A better deal? Or just more of a bad deal?

    You the consumer, shall decide.

    -GAC-
    #vbender

  5. #5
    ServBot (Level 11) s1lence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Minnesota : Bitterville
    Posts
    3,159
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

    Default

    Or we can discount the original 60gig model, then discontinue it and not sell the 80 gig model.

    Or we can make 15 exclusives titles, HOLY SHIT stop the presses, 15!!!

    Jack really needs to get his head out of his ass. Reason being is that there still isn't a title out there that has given me the "wow" factor. I turned on my PS3 yesterday and once again, UPDATE needed. No description of what the hell this update does, maybe it could turn my PS3 into something cool, but I think I know better. Sony I'm trying to give you a chance but come on, enough with the slamming of the competition, it was old a year ago.
    Last edited by s1lence; 07-18-2007 at 08:28 AM.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew


  6. #6
    Pretzel (Level 4) Clownzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    958
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

    Default

    The Wii is like Ramen Noodles. It's cheap and even though many people won't admit it, they really like to eat it.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

    Pope Benedict XVI

  7. #7
    Insert Coin (Level 0) KeyserSoze61's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    152
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    What does it say about me that my favorite food is around 15 years old? Do 16-bit titles age like a fine wine?

    Either way, Sony can keep assuring itself of its superiority. The bottom line is that they have a fancy restaurant, with incredibly high overhead, that no one is eating at.

  8. #8
    ServBot (Level 11) Slate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,659
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    80
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    What is jack smoking?

  9. #9
    Crono (Level 14)
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The food comparision is getting alittle old, but anyway, what is he suppose to answer? :P

  10. #10
    ServBot (Level 11) Rob2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,601
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    I think the PS3 is the Surf 'n Turf. You want the lobster and steak and you're going to give yourself the treat of getting the best thing on the menu. The PS2 is your favorite burger restaurant -- you go there for comfort food and it's just always good and is a good value.

    [As for the other two consoles], one [Wii] is a lollipop, and I'm too old for lollipops. The other one [Xbox 360] I get sick from once in a while because the cook isn't always reliable.
    I see the people at Sony have resorted to calling Nintendo "kiddie" again. Do they think customers will fall for that nonsense again?

    The PlayStation 3 is like the fancy restaurant in NYC where sushi costs $500. We can get the same exact sushi at a normal restaurant for $7 and we don't have to wait a year for the good flavors to come out, but there will always be a few insecure people who buy the $500 sushi anyway because they think it makes them cool.

  11. #11
    Peach (Level 3) hbkprm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    newport news va
    Posts
    784
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

    Default

    the wii is like corned beef hash
    cheap and tasty
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

  12. #12
    Crono (Level 14)
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    The PlayStation 3 is like the fancy restaurant in NYC where sushi costs $500. We can get the same exact sushi at a normal restaurant for $7 and we don't have to wait a year for the good flavors to come out, but there will always be a few insecure people who buy the $500 sushi anyway because they think it makes them cool.
    Damn, Wii and/or 360 is $7 now? Where to buy?! :P (since you used original price for PS3, wouldnt it be fair to use original price for Wii and/or 360 too? I guess that $7 was suppose to resemble Wii and/or 360?)
    Last edited by jajaja; 07-18-2007 at 03:00 PM.

  13. #13
    Banana (Level 7) Garry Silljo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Washington PA
    Posts
    1,447
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSoze61 View Post
    Either way, Sony can keep assuring itself of its superiority. The bottom line is that they have a fancy restaurant, with incredibly high overhead, that no one is eating at.
    Is Sony going to be in an episode of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares?
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

  14. #14
    ServBot (Level 11) Rob2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,601
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Damn, Wii and/or 360 is $7 now? Where to buy?! :P (since you used original price for PS3, wouldnt it be fair to use original price for Wii and/or 360 too? I guess that $7 was suppose to resemble Wii and/or 360?)
    There really is a restaurant in NYC that charges $500 for plain old regular sushi. I was just using that as an example, but you're right: coincidentally it's the same price as a 60GB PlayStation 3 now. I wonder if the sushi has any backwards-compatibility problems.

  15. #15
    Crono (Level 14)
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    There really is a restaurant in NYC that charges $500 for plain old regular sushi. I was just using that as an example, but you're right: coincidentally it's the same price as a 60GB PlayStation 3 now. I wonder if the sushi has any backwards-compatibility problems.
    Ah ok. Thought you ment to resemble the $500 to PS3 and $7 to Wii and/or 360. The difference isnt that big in difference (i didnt take $7 literally, but still not mega big in difference) so i just had to comment

    That $500 sushi must be gold plated hehe. I've seen you can get $1000 pizza too, and i think there is some ice-cream that cost around the same too, its crazy. lol @ backwards-compability sushi hehe

    EDIT: I found the ice-cream: http://www.dailyolive.com/got_1000_why_no.html
    Last edited by jajaja; 07-18-2007 at 04:16 PM.

  16. #16
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Actually, the Wii is like a hot dog at Costco. Cheap, tastes real good, but then 20 minutes later you got a rock in your stomach.

    The 360 is like a restaurant that serves alot of really good dishes, alot of variety, makes great meals, but you never know when it's going to all of a sudden be closed for a 5 week remodel.


    The PS3 is like one of those super expensive ass dinners, where you get dressed up, and you think your going to have one of the best meals of your life, and after it's over, you wonder where all your money went, and your stopping by the Carls Jr Drive Thru on the way home cause your still hungry.

  17. #17
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Nesmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,784
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Actually, the Wii is like a hot dog at Costco. Cheap, tastes real good, but then 20 minutes later you got a rock in your stomach.

    The 360 is like a restaurant that serves alot of really good dishes, alot of variety, makes great meals, but you never know when it's going to all of a sudden be closed for a 5 week remodel.


    The PS3 is like one of those super expensive ass dinners, where you get dressed up, and you think your going to have one of the best meals of your life, and after it's over, you wonder where all your money went, and your stopping by the Carls Jr Drive Thru on the way home cause your still hungry.
    And the Carls Jr Drive Thru can be equated to playing PS2 games upconverted on the PS3

  18. #18
    ServBot (Level 11) Rob2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,601
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    The 360 is like a restaurant that serves alot of really good dishes, alot of variety, makes great meals, but you never know when it's going to all of a sudden be closed for a 5 week remodel.
    Are you referring to the Xbox 360's reported 30% to 50% failure rate?

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Are you referring to the Xbox 360's reported 30% to 50% failure rate?

    bingo bango

  20. #20
    Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    MegaDrive20XX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Waco TX
    Posts
    5,921
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    PS3= A Mircowave I can't fuckin turn off without knowing it's off unless I'm sure the light is red or not...even when I press the button 3 to 4 times to make sure...

    Xbox 360 = Toaster Oven with 3 heat-sink fans now. It makes the best fuckin oven-pizza. It keeps my socks warm when I leave them on the 360, no joke either....toasty socks before heading to work, are the best

    Wii = If you call it a lollipop, then why are you suckin on it so hard Jack Tretton? Seems like George Michael, picked you up, before you go-go, and gave you some tips on how to suck.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 128
    Last Post: 05-24-2019, 01:06 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM
  4. Dark Knight Heath Ledger Joker "Why So Serious?" poster (Teaser "Style B") ...
    By Frankie_Says_Relax in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 11:40 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 09:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •