Thread: Time-sensitive question on worth...

Insert Coin (Level 0) velvet396's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Velvet396

Default Time-sensitive question on worth...

I'm seriously like a day or two away from being able to access the marketplace forum. In the meantime I've stumbled across a great (I think?) deal and I need to know whether to go ahead and bite. I ask for a vote of forgiveness, but you're all collectors and I hope you understand the urgency of not missing a find.

A guy in my hometown (no shipping!) is offering the following for $400, complete only. I've cut and pasted from his email here:

Sega Master System Complete with approx 5 games
    Several NES and a SNES and (1) N64...not sure of status of these they worked before i put them in tubs..no games. NES wireless controllers, light gun GAMEBOY VirtuaBOY complete with approx 10+ games (including some imports from Japan) battery pack and ac adapter
    ColecoVision with driving controller 3 power supplies, 20+ games Atari 2600: 1 original brown system, 2 later black systems and 2 mini 2600 systems. keypad controllers, ac adapters, driving paddles, reg padddles, multiple joysticks, the elusive trackball controller, 1 rapid fire inline joystick plug (so you dont have to keep hitting the button), 100+ games Atari 7800 (2 Systems) complete and games Sega Master System and approx 5 games Sega Genesis (2 I think) along with (2) 32X adapters, and 2 SEGA CD units. CD Games and 32X games (only a few 32X and about 5-10 CD Games) A Sega Driving controller for Genesis (2) Game Gear and cartridges...approx 10-20 games (missing battery covers but run on Genesis AC adapters) An ORIGINAL Radio Shack PONG that Ive had since new in like 1976. Battery controlled....still locating the gun to go with it..somewhere around here. 1 Tiger Game Com system and approx 6-10 carts 1 Turbo GRAFX 16 system and controller...unsure of it as I havent used it in forever Various loose controllers and parts for all systems above and some misc stuff for SEGA Saturn..(controllers and 1 master Sega SATURN unit..unsure of its abilities) and most stuff is in tubs, this is as complete as I can be on this stuff. Nothing is in original boxes however one 32X and one Sega CD Unit are and I have an Original Mint SNES Box (Empty). Other multi system items etc will be tossed into the lot as found...various pieces, parts, controllers, games. However this is the FINAL list for the lot. 1 AURA Interactor chest pack with multigame adapter (Sega systems, etc) and ac adapter...this is a old type feedback unit that made you feel the games with like a vibration to your body. Complete unit Everything has been adult owned and used most since brand new I just couldnt keep all the boxes and stuff so i streamlined and just used the systems for enjoyment. Wasnt planning on keeping everything in a museum so to speak so everything is used, most need a good cleaning, dusting etc. No warranties on anything and no repairs being offered as I am not a repairman for game systems. "AS IS" I have tried to be as descriptive as possible.

Should I do it? I'm not interested in the Atari stuff, so I'm thinking I can resell the unwanted over time and recoup my costs. Seems too good to be true, but it's a lot to drop at once with no guarantee.

Please help.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless there are some good rares, that reselling that atari stuff will not recoup your costs. If there are some good rares in there, though, it might be worth $400. I would go check it out, but I certainly wouldn't drop 4 bones without seeing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Velvet396

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    Unless there are some good rares, that reselling that atari stuff will not recoup your costs. If there are some good rares in there, though, it might be worth $400. I would go check it out, but I certainly wouldn't drop 4 bones without seeing it.
    I definitely agree, it does depend on rarities and condition. Also, I'd be selling the multiples of, but keeping one each of the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis/CD, Saturn...

Wanting the TG-16, the Virtual Boy, and some of the other odds and ends like the Actuator and the NES Wireless pads. In reality I'm hoping he'll be willing to take out the Atari stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How soon can you put up a complete list?
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just looking over it briefly, it's a nice set because you get a good variety of systems without paying a lot on shipping like you would if you bought them all separately on eBay. So compared against eBay, you'd be saving yourself some decent money if you wanted to get some collections started on those multiple systems. As others mentioned, the specific games play a large role in the overall price. If you're getting a bunch of sports games and dirt-cheap commons, this deal suddenly looks a lot less appealing. And I wouldn't hold out too much hope for rares.... I buy A LOT of systems and games from people in my local area through classifed ads I place in the newspaper, and I rarely find more than a couple valuable games in each lot.

If you haven't yet, you need to at least attempt to get him to come lower on the price. Try to bring it down at least $50 or so. Doesn't hurt to try... even if it's already a good deal. Unless he's homeless, don't feel bad about trying to save yourself some money. When I buy from people locally I usually don't pay more than about $30 for a common system with several games and accessories (like small lots of NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, etc.)... but something like a Virtual Boy or TurboGrafx I might spend a couple extra dollars on, especially based on the games. Overall, I'd say if you want to start up a decent multi-system collection with just a single purchase, than this deal seems like a nice place to start. However, if you're mainly trying to resell it for profit than I don't think you'll have much luck. Then again, it's hard to determine without seeing the games list... plus the list you put up is hard to read, so I may have missed something valuable that you mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

If there is a copy of Halloween for the atari 2600, YES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Velvet396

that list is as complete as it gets without going to see it. he has no interest in selling only part of it, and honestly, I don't want all of it.

I hate to pass on the parts I really want but I don't want to get stuck with a lot of stuff. I might go see it but not take any money with me. Also since I'm a complete noob at collecting, I wouldn't know if there were any rare atari games included anyway (except for Halloween, thanks Slate).

Maybe if I play it slow after checking it out in person he'll come back later on after not having any success in selling it as a full lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=velvet396;1216179]Also since I'm a complete noob at collecting, I wouldn't know if there were any rare atari games included anyway (except for Halloween, thanks Slate).[QUOTE]

Hey, no shame in that. I've been collecting for 10 years now and whenever I check out a system lot in person I still find myself writing all the more obscure games down and then checking them out on DP's Online Guide at home before making an offer. Or my personal favorite-- finding a stack of random games at a yard sale or thrift shop... no time to go home in those situations because you'll lose the good games, but too risky to buy them all if they turn out to be a bunch of overpriced common titles. So I end up calling around to all my friends to find one at home who can check out the values on their computer. But it sucks if all your usual sources aren't home and you're getting desperate.... "Hey man, I know we haven't talked since high school but I have a huge favor to ask... are you at your computer right now?"

Maybe if I play it slow after checking it out in person he'll come back later on after not having any success in selling it as a full lot.
    Being the father of all game consoles, the Atari 2600 is an essential piece in any true collection. But since you're just starting out, there's no shame in passing on it for now. Heck, I will admit (at the risk of being permanently banned from DP) that I bought a Philips CD-i before buying a 2600. And that's even considering that I grew up around the 2600 era. I love the classic arcade games of the late-70s and early 80s, but just prefer their arcade-quality ports on systems like 7800 and NES over the dumbed-down ports of the 2600 (though the developers do deserve a lot of credit for managing to accomplish what they did on the VCS hardware).

So no problem with waiting him out. I don't think he'll find a taker anyways. Not necessarily because the lot isn't worth it-- but because it's hard to find someone with $400 to blow on a random lot of video game stuff. Most people are doing the same as you... only looking for specific things. Plus, waiting him out has the added benefit of getting you an advantage in bringing the price down. And if someone else buys it, don't feel too bad; you'll probably find something better somewhere down the road (and hopefully with more games per system as well).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Velvet396

I know what you mean about not having something on hand to check value. I wanted to buy the Advance digital press guide, but I'm afraid it may be a bit outdated. Considering they're releasing a new classic guide, I'm hoping a new advanced guide will follow soon after. Thift shops locally sell through things slowly so I can take a pic with my phone and go back the next day. That makes me think, though, that may be a reason to use the internet on my phone (though I'd have to pay for a data plan ).

As for this sale - I think I may have gotten overexcited in a rush, those sorts of lots don't show up around here. When I really think about it, I just want some of the stuff, and don't need any of it. $400 is a lot to spend on stuff just for a collection. Perhaps I'm not at a good stage in my life to collect. Most of my purchases are with intent to play, not display. I thought about it and I was like, "do I want to play/check out a Virtual Boy or TG-16?" Sure. "Do I need to own it?" No.

I'll be honest, I get most excited for the old CD-based systems that can (or easily be changed to) use CD-R's so I can experience rare or many games on original hardware without going broke.

That aside, the seller has had plenty of inquiries, he indicated I'm the only seriously interested buyer. I think that will work to my advantage. If it falls through, I go back to my plan of trying to find these things one good deal at a time. After all, it's the thrill of the hunt, right?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

what you could do is print out a list of everything R5 and above for the systems listed, bring the list with you when you go to check out the games, then check and see if any of them are on that list. I've actually put the DP rarity guides onto my PSP for when I go lookin' for rare stuff. Its helped out quite a bit. You may also want to check ebays completed listings on certain titles to see how much they've sold for in the past few weeks. Usualy if there are no copies to be had on e-bay, buy it. As far as atari goes....look for Swordquest: Waterworld (not earth or fireworld), Texas chainsaw massacre, Chase the Chuckwagon, and whatever the guide says is an R7+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were you I would take cash with me when I went to see it. But don't take $400, take $350 or something like that. If you decide you want it and the seller sees cash he's likely to drop the price.

Don't go by rarity alone when gauging price. Use that to figure out which games are harder to find, and then get on ebay and check completed listings. There are tons of R5 and above games that don't break $10. I see a lot of new collectors spending lots of money for "rare" games and thinking they got a great deal, only to find out later that while the game might be semi hard to find it's not at all sought-after, and can therefore be had for $5 shipped off of ebay.

Also, I wouldn't let the fact that you don't want everything stop you from buying. I personally pay for my collecting by selling stuff I don't want. While you might not be able to sell $400 worth of unwanted stuff from that lot, you might be able to sell $200 without much trouble. I sell NES for $45 each and SNES for $50 without any trouble, so keep that in mind. Just figure out what some of the bigger items are worth, and then do the math. It's that easy, and it's paid for my whole collection.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd be a little worried about the fact that the guy seem iffy on if a lot of it even works. Sure, most, if not all, of it probably does, but that's a large wad of cash to drop if the stuff you want the most ends up being broken. Virtual Boys in particular are really prone to having difficult to fix problems when they haven't been taken care of well.

But, yeah, definitely scope things out first. See if the systems and games look really gnarly and beat up, and see if you can spot some valuable games. Regardless, I would try to talk the guy down to at least $300.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Also, I wouldn't let the fact that you don't want everything stop you from buying. I personally pay for my collecting by selling stuff I don't want. While you might not be able to sell $400 worth of unwanted stuff from that lot, you might be able to sell $200 without much trouble. I sell NES for $45 each and SNES for $50 without any trouble, so keep that in mind. Just figure out what some of the bigger items are worth, and then do the math. It's that easy, and it's paid for my whole collection.
    This is what I've done also.

I'd be a little wary of whipping out a list or price guide when you go look at it. Not only will you seem even more strange (get used to that if you plan on collecting), but he might realize more what he has. I avoid mentioning the word 'collect' in any form when I buy stuff, because when people hear that something is 'collectible', they either won't sell or dig their heels in on the price.

As for this lot, I'd say selling it all parted out it would pretty easily be worth more than 400. Selling what you don't want probably won't get you all 400 back, but it will certainly take the sting off, and who knows what could be in there! One of my favorite buys ever was a mish-mash of stuff like this... it is just plain fun digging through.

A last word of caution, if you buy it with the intent to sell certain things, then find a rare atari game or something, you may change your mind about selling it . That sort of happened to me once.