Thread: You can share Playstation Network games with up to 4 friends???

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default You can share Playstation Network games with up to 4 friends???

I heard on another website that you can re-download Playstation Network games on up to 4 additional consoles. Even consoles which you haven't registered as being your property. So, for example, let's say a friend of yours has Calling all Cars on his Playstation 3 system. He could go to your house, login his account information into your PS3, (like if you were adding a new user, you just use the information that he used on his own account for his own PS3) then you go to account history, you look for the download list, and you re-download Calling all Cars. Now, Calling all Cars will be on your system as well, and the beauty of it, is that you can play it under your own Playstation 3 user id. Now, I must admit, I haven't actually tried this myself, but I've heard that it works, and works well. So, if there is a PSN game that you are interested in, but you don't feel like spending the full pop for the game, well, technically, you can get 4 of your friends to chip in, and divvy up the costs of the game between yourself. I'm not postive that this strategy will work with fullblown retail type downloads like Warhawk. It might only work with games like Calling All Cars and stuff of that ilk. We will have to wait for the arrival of games like Warhawk to find out.

If there are any PS3 owners on these boards that wouldn't mind sharing Calling All Cars or Flow or something like that, shoot me a PM. I'd love to try those games out. I can tell you that I will definitely be getting Wipeout HD when it comes out, and I'll be willing to return the favor. And certainly when Warhawk comes out, if this actually works, I would definitely be willing to spend 1/5th of Warhawks cost to sample that puppy.

I know what you might be thinking, this is going against Sony's wishes, and you are basically finding a way to circumvent the system, but according to some members of another forum, not only is Sony not discouraging this type of behavior, they are actually encouraging it. Personally, I have a very hard time buying that as well, but whatever, that's what some of these dudes are saying. Normally, I would think the only way you could re-download the same game to multiple PS3 systems, is if those systems have been registered under your name, with the serial #'s and warranty information, etc, etc. But apparently that is the way Sony's handling this. This is actually pretty refreshing, and a better way than Microsoft is currently handling the same type of scenario. You can play downloaded games on multiple Xbox 360 systems, but you have to be signed into live to have access to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know one person with a PS3, let alone 4.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I don't know one person with a PS3, let alone 4.
    Well you know Anthony1 he has one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, it works fine. Any download can be registered to up to 5 PS3 consoles, so you're capable of sharing anything you buy on PSN with up to 4 other people. Of course, it's not terribly smart doing so, because if your PS3 should ever break or you ever pick up another one, you're screwed and you have to buy the game all over.

Normally it's pretty safe to have just one or two trade buddies, though. I have one specific friend I trade with and it works out pretty well.

edit - he doesn't need to go to your house! Simply change your password to something else (like qwerty), let the other person log in as you from their PS3 (they still need your email address for the account), and have them sign in and scan your download history. They download onto their PS3, you change your password back, and you're golden.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 07-22-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    MonkeyJuggleDX

You can download the game on different systems, but the following applies:

5 downloads in total
    You MUST keep the user id of the person you downloaded from on your PS3 or the license agreement that lets you play them will be gone too.

I'd only trade ith people I know/trust as I'd never give anyone I didn't know my account details.

What I have on my XMB(also got SotN since making this)
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=959dd064.flv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Superfamifreak View Post
    I'd only trade ith people I know/trust as I'd never give anyone I didn't know my account details.
    Yeah if anyone wants my account/log-in information just let me know. I'll even let people have my credit card info (which is tied to my PSN account). To sweeten the deal, I'll even throw in my wife's and my social security numbers.

Oh wait...

"Uh, yeah...I ain't doin' that."
    Last edited by heybtbm; 07-22-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Yeah if anyone wants my account/log-in information just let me know. I'll even let people have my credit card info (which is tied to my PSN account).
    Just remove your CC info from the account and add funds whenever you actually need them. Also helps reduce the chances of impulse buys Either way, I don't much care for sharing my info with people I don't know which is why I just stick with a trusted friend.

Something I haven't tried yet is creating a subaccount and seeing how it works out with regard to sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfamifreak View Post
    What I have on my XMB(also got SotN since making this)
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=959dd064.flv
    I can't believe Sony took the Minna no Golf 5 demo down since the game came out. Jerks. I've been trying to tell people about the awesomeness of it and now they're completely shit out of luck until the demo hits the US store

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I downloaded the Minna no Golf 5 demo like 2 weeks ago, through the proxy method

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    I downloaded the Minna no Golf 5 demo like 2 weeks ago, through the proxy method
    What's the proxy method?

I just created separate AUS/UK/JPN accounts to hop on and snag the exclusive stuff.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just have to find some local dudes with PS3's who are cool with this idea. I have a buddy that lives about a mile away that has a PS3, and I'm pretty sure he'll be game for this. It would be pretty awesome to have like 3 buddies willing to split costs on downloadable games.

The reason why I think local is better, is if the dude has any reservations about doing it, they could come over, enter the information, download the game, etc, etc, and then when they leave they just change their password, and it's all gravy. The same thing can happen remotely, as long as both parties trust each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    I just have to find some local dudes with PS3's who are cool with this idea. I have a buddy that lives about a mile away that has a PS3, and I'm pretty sure he'll be game for this. It would be pretty awesome to have like 3 buddies willing to split costs on downloadable games.

The reason why I think local is better, is if the dude has any reservations about doing it, they could come over, enter the information, download the game, etc, etc, and then when they leave they just change their password, and it's all gravy. The same thing can happen remotely, as long as both parties trust each other.
    At least Sony is being more user friendly with their downloadable content than Microsoft. Think about it...MS won't even let the original owner have access to their downloads unless their signed onto Xbox Live.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)