Thread: Virtual Boy Problem

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Virtual Boy Problem

All of my games work fine. I turn it on and play a game for a minute and then the screen goes to a blur on the right. This only happens looking through the right lens. Looking through the left lens is fine. I've had the system for about 5 months now and never encountered a problem. Anybody know how to fix it or what the problem is?

Insert Coin (Level 0) omega_squid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    osquid

Exclamation Laser Problems

It could be that the right laser/ mirror assembly is on the fritz. The Virtual Boy is plagued by this problem because the assembly itself is so fragile.

Repair could be difficult, buying a new VB may be less expensive, unless you can obtain another working right laser unit.

Good Luck - It may take a while!
    Like free games? Then visit my site - www.osquid.com

DP Feedback | eBay Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I just fixed a similar problem in mine last week and it's been working great.

First you need a tool to open up the VB. You can either buy a 4.5mm security bit or modify a flathead screwdriver per the instructions here. If you modify a screwdriver - the longer (no more than 6") and thinner the shaft of the screwdriver is, the better.

Next, perform the procedure described here. The idea of putting internal components of your VB in the oven sounds scary but trust me, this will probably work.

It's important to get the scotch tape on as quickly as you can, and you may not see immediate results depending how long it takes the contact glue to re-cure and dry. One of my lasers I cooked up took an extra 12 hours or so before it cured enough to not look glitchy. Probably best to not to turn it to play right away, but just test it for a couple of minutes, then put it back together and wait 12 hours or so.

As with all internet repair tips, ymmv, but this did work for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that's my repair guide for fixing the displays... it works well for most, although I have had a couple displays that wouldn't reliably stick back to the board. I've actually had good luck using a clamp (or clothespins would probably work too) on the display and putting the whole thing in the oven. The most important part is pressing the cable against the board while it's still hot and the glue is soft, which is why the clamp works well.

And definitely reinforce it with tape... I believe one of the main reasons the glue comes loose is from the IPD adjustment being adjusted in for long periods of time, which puts outward pressure on the cables. I pulled a brand new VB out of the box which had the IPD adjusted all the way in, both displays were glitchy and the rubber reinforcement glue had even come loose. With the tape, the IPD adjustment shouldn't have any affect on the cables.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Oh, yes, DogP! Allow me to personally thank you for sharing that fix with the rest of the Web. I own four VB units and have had display issues with all of them. Your solution here literally allows me to see some light (red, of course) at the end of the tunnel.

If you don't mind me picking your brain for another second: Do you know from personal experience if warming up the LED's as such can do anything for one that's completely non-functioning? One of my units has a completely dead eye on one side. I'm imagining that it could simply be that the contacts on the ribbon cable have completely separated, but I haven't spent enough time yet poking around on the inside of a VB to know if it could be some other issue. Any input you might have would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. - If we bump into each other at CGE, then your next drink is definitely on me
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 07-25-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool, glad it helped you out. I'm getting ready to head for the plane to Vegas, but yes, I've had a display completely dead that was caused by the cable. Actually, I haven't had any problems with the displays that wasn't caused by either the cable or my personal hands of destruction (in the name of science of course ).

I've figured out the pinout of the displays, and I'll post it on my site when I get around to updating, but by seeing the problem it's actually pretty easy to figure out which connections aren't making contact by looking at the pinout, and a completely dead display likely lost contact on several.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB