Thread: Who, what the Hedgehog? Oh, Sonic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who, what the Hedgehog? Oh, Sonic.

Come on people, bring the Sonic love. Gather around the fake store bought campfire and remember the good times. Remember Sonic the Hedgehog. Do it!

I'll toss a story out. It's the first Christmas the Sega CD Version 2 has seen, and the first time I've own a Sega CD. Sewer Shark decided to pop its glorious face in for a few, but dessert wouldn't hit until a week later. Christmas money brought Sonic CD home.

Check it. Call my best friend at the time to my house? Of course. Get two chairs set up in the game room? Damn straight. Wrap up a 12-pack of Kick? The night is young.

We knew some of Sonic CD's secrets, but by the end of the night, we figured out getting all the time stones would deliver the good ending. Unfortunately, we didn't know how to fix the future zone. Nevertheless, victory came. We had the time stones. We saw the beautiful ending cinematic and dancing flowers. Can't forget it.

Oh, and like you didn't expect me to make this thread?
    Last edited by GrayFox; 09-15-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

hey...i love Sonic too. Sonic 1and2 on the Genesis are still 2 of my fav. 16bit games. Oh yea..Sonic CD was the shit..

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Christmas Break. 1992. My first Sega Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog. Long hours into the night. I remember it was 2 days before New Year's Eve and I rented "Sonic the Hedgehog 2". There I was, 5 am in the morning...I just got to the "Mystic Cave Zone". Blown away by the amazing BGM I was hearing. I finally understood Sonic, a total moment of "Zen". It just wasn't about gameplay, but it had a sense like Mega Man did for me. It wasn't about just playing the game, but the music that made Sonic the Hedgehog so amazing. You can't have a painting until you hear the right song to match it. Much like they play classical music during a really expensive Art Show.
    Last edited by MegaDrive20XX; 07-24-2007 at 10:41 PM.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDrive20XX View Post
    Christmas Break. 1992. My first Sega Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog. Long hours into the night. I remember it was 2 days before New Year's Eve and I rented "Sonic the Hedgehog 2". There I was, 5 am in the morning...I just got to the "Mystic Cave Zone". Blown away by the amazing BGM I was hearing. I finally understood Sonic, a total moment of "Zen". It just wasn't about gameplay, but it had a sense like Mega Man did for me. It wasn't about just playing the game, but the music that made Sonic the Hedgehog so amazing. You can't have a painting until you hear the right song to match it. Much like they play classical music during a really expensive Art Show.
    Chapter 14. Paragraph 24.

"And as time went on, the people at DP started to realize how awesome Sonic was. Twas a fantastic time to be alive. They would be the ones to rule the world."
    ~~~GrayFox~~~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, I'll give it a go. Back in about 1996-97 I was 10-11 years old. My aunt had just given me her Sega Genesis along with a few games like street fighter. But, before I ever received the Genesis from my aunt, I always watched Sonic the Hedgehog on TV every morning before I went to school. And when I found out that Sonic was on the Genesis I couldn't rest until I got my greedy little paws on Sonic the Hegehog for the Sega Genesis. So I go to the local walmart and look on the shelves and to my surprise...no sonic. So I ask my relatives where I'm supposed to buy this game from. One suggested a used game shop in the middle of nowhere in the back alley of a small city that had too many small cubic buildings all about the same size in which you could only tell the difference in them by reading the small print on the signs in front of the buildings. So we go there. The long and agonizing trip exhausts me, but with me thinking the chance to get sonic, it would be well worth it. So we get there. I look around. I remember there being a LOT of genesis stuff as well as a newly released N64 at the cash register being shown off to all the little kids whom had no idea of what 3D meant or why a fat guy in overhauls could be a super hero who fought dragons by going into pipes. Anyway, I eventually find sonic the hegehog. I grab it and take it to the cash register. The old rusty woman with 2 day old make-up rings it up and...

cha-ching...That little bastard is MINE!!!
    So I go home and play the HELL out of this thing. For days this is all I do. I get so much entertainment out of this little game it's unbelieveable.

But one little thing breaks my heart. Just a little bit of info that I get from my uncle makes me scream and cry and wish I had more. "You know, they have made a sonic 2 and sonic 3," he says. Oh, really Mr. Uncle. You know all about sonic, huh? So this just about made my head explode. The want and need for more sonic goodness made the materialistic side of me bleed from my eyes and ears. I cried, screamed, and yelled for more sonic. I remember going into my other aunt's bedroom and yelling and whimpering into a pillow "I'll never get it!!!! I'll NEVER get it!!!" (refering to sonic 2&3). Ofcourse I wanted it soooo badly, I guess because I thought I could never get anything that good. I even done this outloud and am sure my parents considered some kind of psychiatric treatment for me. So for then, I settled for what I had, sonic 1. But always dreaming of owning sonic 2 or 3.

While of course I always looked out for those two games I never expected either one of them to fall into my lap, such as did Sonic 2. One of my friends at the time had a copy of Sonic 2 he was willing to give to me. For what, I don't remember. So I DID finally recieve Sonic 2!!! As for Sonic 3, hard earned cash bought the mega hits version of this at walmart a few months later.

Also, on a side note, that since I got what I wanted when I said "I'll never get", I tried doing this with other things. Just before the gamecube came out, I said "I'll never get it" hoping that I would. I did this for games like zelda, super smash bros. melee, and other classic stuff. I even did this for getting a girlfriend. Luckily, everything I said "I'll never get it", I got...except for the girlfriend...
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I had heard of Sonic, but in 2002 when Nintendo Power mentioned that Sonic Adventure 2 was being ported to Gamecube, I desided "Sega can't be that bad...expectially if they are making games for the best new console" (Keep in mind I was a Nintendo Fanboy at the time), and wanteed to try Sonic.

Months later, my grandmother (On my Mom's side) bought a 'Sega' at an auction. I was exited and mystified at the same time (Was it a Master System, Genesis, Saturn, or Dreamcast?). I finally laid eyes on it, and it was a Genesis, and it had both Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

I played it for the first time, and it was a magical moment for me. Once I had my own Genesis (She game it to me in 2004, because it was getting in their way and I was the only grandkid still playing it), I bought the other 2 Sonic games along with some other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I’ve tried desperately to get into Sonic titles but I just can’t. I have all of them for the Genesis and the Collection on the GC but I still find them lacking.

I first played Sonic shortly after it’s launch on the Genesis and after each new launch; I tried that title as well. At the time I just wasn’t impressed although I tried to play it constantly…To this day I really don’t like them at all…

What bothers me is that to this day I still can’t put my finger on why that is.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread wins the internets just for mentioning one of God's greatest and most wonderful - and most missed - creations: Kick.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atari 5200 View Post
    It looks like they charged you $12.95 for Sonic, then an extra buck 78 for a hedgehog...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    It looks like they charged you $12.95 for Sonic, then an extra buck 78 for a hedgehog...
    They also gouged him up the ass, $13 for the original Sonic back in 1997 is insane...I remember seeing this game in the $.99 bins back then.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    This thread wins the internets just for mentioning one of God's greatest and most wonderful - and most missed - creations: Kick.
    When I come back to make a thread at DP, I don't mess around.

It's serious stuff. And Surge is just foolish. Kick for life.

Edit: And yes, more Sonic love! Atari 5200's story + receipt is just rad.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~