Thread: Dreamcast Kiosk systems - Any advantages over regular systems?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast Kiosk systems - Any advantages over regular systems?

Hi,

I just got a Dreamcast Kiosk (the console itself and nothing else) and Ive been looking for information all day about this console. Does it have any advantages over the regular release of the system?(As in durability, rarity, or value?) All I can find is some information about heat sinks but I feel like I'm out of the loop in trying to understand what everyone is talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I dunno...welcome to Club "DC Kiosk and nothing else," though! Mine just...sits there...in a box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noname11 View Post
    Hi,

I just got a Dreamcast Kiosk (the console itself and nothing else) and Ive been looking for information all day about this console. Does it have any advantages over the regular release of the system?(As in durability, rarity, or value?) All I can find is some information about heat sinks but I feel like I'm out of the loop in trying to understand what everyone is talking about.
    Rarity and value should be higher than a regular Dreamcast.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't they not say SEGA on them? From when SEGA was going to not use their name with the system? I think I saw one in Toys R Us in 1999 that didn't say SEGA. I was surprised when I got mine for Christmas that year, and it said SEGA above the controller ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuplayer View Post
    Don't they not say SEGA on them? From when SEGA was going to not use their name with the system? I think I saw one in Toys R Us in 1999 that didn't say SEGA. I was surprised when I got mine for Christmas that year, and it said SEGA above the controller ports.
    Nope, not true. I have two of theim and they say SEGA above the controller port.

I have one Boxed still and the other I've been using for 8 years and let me say they're very stong, mines still kicking and I play it just about every week.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine also says "Sega" on the controller port. And yes, the system itself seems to run better than any of my other Sega Dreamcasts.

No skipping, no dead contoller port. This thing is great! I was testing House of the Dead 2 for like an hour and got so into the game that i yanked the system about 4 inches off the ground and the game didnt skip or glitch despite a crash landing!

The label itself has some Japanese writing despite the "U/C" designation and the modem itself has some Japanese stickers. However, the system only plays US games.

Does this sound like everyone else's system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

i don't have one, but i believe there's an extra heat sink or some kind of special heat sink inside

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a full standing DC Kiosk. The system inside it however, has always been fickle. Sometimes I can put a game in and it fires right up no problem. Othertimes it will just give me the DC settings screen. Not the date/time settings, I mean the DC browser screen.

Another odd thing about this particular Kiosk DC is that it will not read any CDs of any kind. Audio CDs...CDRs....nothing. Just GD-Rom discs. I have taken it apart more than once to continually readjust the laser diode to fix the not reading discs issue but haven't seen anything out of the unusual on the inside aside from my other DC units. I do know this one is different from the others as it has a different model number on the bottom that I'd never seen on my other DC units. Another thing, it won't read any of the recently released homebrews or any other game on CD media. Best I can tell, the DC in this kiosk will not read CD media period. I believe it to be one of the rumored "Can't read CDs DC" units I read about from time to time.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by noname11 View Post
    Mine also says "Sega" on the controller port. And yes, the system itself seems to run better than any of my other Sega Dreamcasts.

No skipping, no dead contoller port. This thing is great! I was testing House of the Dead 2 for like an hour and got so into the game that i yanked the system about 4 inches off the ground and the game didnt skip or glitch despite a crash landing!

The label itself has some Japanese writing despite the "U/C" designation and the modem itself has some Japanese stickers. However, the system only plays US games.

Does this sound like everyone else's system?
    I have a used normal Dreamcast that has no skipping; no dead controller port. Doesn't mean it's any more durable.

My point is, I wouldn't want to treat a kiosk unit any less carefully than a normal Dreamcast because there is no guarantee it's any stronger. If you're talking more along the lines that a kiosk unit could last longer, it really depends on how much you use it and what conditions it is exposed to. Even movement can cause something to mess up at any point in time with any of the disc based systems.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

well if its in the kiosk...

you can stand up and play!
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thin k the pre-release rental units also had empty plastic shells in place of the modem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

slight side tangent, but remember the PS3 kiosks with the empty plastic PS3 shell? lol.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew