Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whiney gamers ruin it for Hardcore gamers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Whiney gamers ruin it for Hardcore gamers.

I was thinking today about the state of current gaming, and how in ways it could be much more enjoyable and immersive. I think back to the days of news reports of how some gamers would literally "track" other players in real life cause of things done to them "in game". I also have seen many fights break out over gaming as well. I was in a Bases Loaded championship back in the day and saw one guy break another guys nose cause he lost the playoff spot.

Gaming is just like any other sport, some are better than others, but it's a very young sport and people are still vastly under educated and almost even catered to because of this lack of being able to control their emotions. So who pays? We as videogamers do! When in real life someone can't excel in a certain aspect of life they generally "move on" and find something more suited to their abilities. So why in gaming do we constantly cater to these whiney gamers?

I think i'm in a vast majority, but one that just doesn't speak up enough. We as hardcore gamers have to start saying, hey, that's enough. Stop marketing in catering to every demographic and start catering to the majority. If the majority is people who don't like dangerous environments with consequences then I may just have to bow out myself, and I will. I would say people need to learn the difference between a virtual world and the real world. Each can have their own consequences, but in no way should one overlap the other.

I bring this up cause I recently started playing Eve Online again, and it seems that the whiney gamers have won again. People were givin snowball launchers as a christmas gift 2 years ago, and some complained cause they thought they were "really" being attacked in game, therefore being shot down by concord cause they would retaliate. So much for building character I guess. HELLO ITS A SNOWBALL! It's your fault if your so stupid to not realize.

It just seems to me the gaming industry has some great ideas, but they are constantly halted cause of these gamers who can't deal with the way it is designed, games are constantly "dumbed down" cause I believe the video game company feels responsible of the consequences considering how some gamers have taken in game consequences into the real world. Hopefully the majority of gamers nowadays are waking up and realizing that, it's just a game.

So many seem to want their games to be so vanilla......well not me, I like feeling challenged. Ever wonder why you get so bored with so many online games nowadays? That's why. There may be challenges "in game", but nothing compares to a challenge from a real person or feels the same.

If I wanted that kind of entertainment I would go outside and play with a rock, wait....maybe that would even be more fun.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

I think I generally agree. Too many games (not all, or even most) are trying to appeal to a larger and larger number of people and are becoming watered down.

Oblivion (I loved this game, but...) was not as hardcore as Morrowind. It was intentionally made accessible to more people; I think I would have liked it more if it weren't.

The Wii is the extreme example of this, but Nintendo must do this to maintain competition with the more powerful 360 and PS3.

Many games aren't like this though. God Of War 2, was pretty much no nonsense for example. Your immediately plunged into the battle with the Collosos of Rhodes which was no small thing...

I also find the Tom Clancy games tough to jump into without previous experience...

I think you different franchises and developers take different approaches so it might be wise for us to identify the ones that identify more with us...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"hardcore" gamers are not a majority of the population. They are, however, usually the ones whining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Gaming is just like any other sport
    No. Gaming is not a sport. Call it a "competitive activity" if you like, but please don't ever call it a sport.

The rest of your post seems to make no clear differentiation between single-player games and massively multiplayer (or at least generally multiplayer) games. In the former case, I would not say hardcore players are necessarily in the vast majority. In the latter case, the hardcore players are probably also the whiney-ist, because they're the ones who have invested the most time and are the most likely to object when something changes that is not to their liking.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

The more I hear about what it takes to be a "hardcore" gamer, the more I'm glad I'm not one.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm way too fucked up to figure this out.
    Blah.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeeeaaaahh!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_John View Post
    Yeeeaaaahh!!!!!
    Lil john < wilford brimley
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok, so the definition of hardcore gamer is on trial, again, as usual.

To me a hardcore gamer is one who wants the game given to him in the form that the developer intended and making the best of what it is, carving a path so to say, learning the tricks, and using them. A whiney gamer to me wants everything handed to them on a silver platter, and wants the game only his/her way or nothing at all. No consequences, just gimme, gimme, gimme.

All you have to do is look at the history and see that when people are catered to in this way the games usual end up in a state of disarray. It's simple really I guess, just don't support games where developers don't have the balls to fully realize their vision anymore.

Just take a look at Star Wars Galaxies, a prime example. Those people busted their asses off to become Jedi just so Sony would update the game where people could be a Jedi from the start, it's this kind of loyalty to the core player that kills me, and if you're going to design a game you should stick to the target you are going after, and not flounder just cause a couple of people get "upset".

I think real life consequences also have a great affect honestly. I'm sure there are parents that call in and say stuff like "SOMEONE ONLINE BLASTED MY SONS SHIP", and they feel cheated cause they haven't put in the time and dedication, and we pay cause these people threaten, bitch, moan and cry, it's a game, but god these people act like it's real life. In actuality if it was real life someone would slap their face off.

I see that this trend is changing some as "new" gamers are learning what is really fun, and well, there's alot of positive I see coming down the pipe, but man what does it take to educate these people that it's a "game"....

Just play and stfu. If you don't like it move along. The true players make the game what it is anyway, and any good developer would know what a game needs without having to listen to millions of emails about stupid shit.

What's next? Players suing other players cause they "griefed" them, lol.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 07-29-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm... wow! This post is over the TOP!!!

He's right to the point of once anything goes mainstream it's not the same, but watcha gonna do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    No. Gaming is not a sport. Call it a "competitive activity" if you like, but please don't ever call it a sport.

The rest of your post seems to make no clear differentiation between single-player games and massively multiplayer (or at least generally multiplayer) games. In the former case, I would not say hardcore players are necessarily in the vast majority. In the latter case, the hardcore players are probably also the whiney-ist, because they're the ones who have invested the most time and are the most likely to object when something changes that is not to their liking.
    You make a good point honestly. I would say mostly massively multiplayer as those change more frequently, but single player as well. I think it's when they try to "reach out" to other consumers more than focus on their major demograph either way though.

You can say the Hardcore gamers are the most whiney, but honestly most major changes only happen cause they don't focus on the main user base so in theory you can say it's cause they didn't whine enough. It really comes down to the developer though and as things are showing more and more, people just aren't supporting this bullshit anymore.

I blame lack of focus from the devlopers more than anything, and honestly I think alot of that comes from many factors from complaints, to laziness to just plain greed. Gaming is becoming pure again I think "at least for me", but I think it's time we as gamers become more educated and learn from our mistakes.

Niche gaming is important to me and I realize this more than ever, and I think alot of developers do as well. I don't think gamers should ruin an experience for someone else is what i'm saying I guess, plus the market is bigt enough these days that people can move along and find a new niche instead of staying in one and just constantly bitching about it.

Really you could say this post in mainly about how i've learned this lesson myself about moving along instead of ruining things for other people, and maybe someone else can take this and think about it themselves.

I stand by the point of people taking things into the real world though, that's how crazy it can get, move along, move along, you can't control everything.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    "hardcore" gamers are not a majority of the population. They are, however, usually the ones whining.
    winnar

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So should we hang'em?
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We can't let everyone have fun?

Huh.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

That was way too much whining about whiney gamers.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox View Post
    We can't let everyone have fun?

Huh.
    I LOATHE U.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDrive20XX View Post
    So should we hang'em?
    The hardcore gamers? Absolutely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

some cosider me hardcore, i do. some would say I'm not. Whatever. I don't care. I play games. End of story. As for this post though, it's true.

halo and halo 2. Halo had the pistol (3 hit kill and very acurate), fall damage, you could lure weapons to you from just about anywhere in the map if you knew where to exactally throw grenades, grenades did massive damage and you needed health packs to fill up your health.

Halo 2 had the pistol removed, no fall damage, no weapon moving physics, grenades were initially weaker (but were updated to be similar ot halo 1's with a faster fuse), and there is no health. just your energy sheild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    some cosider me hardcore, i do. some would say I'm not. Whatever. I don't care. I play games. End of story. As for this post though, it's true.

halo and halo 2. Halo had the pistol (3 hit kill and very acurate), fall damage, you could lure weapons to you from just about anywhere in the map if you knew where to exactally throw grenades, grenades did massive damage and you needed health packs to fill up your health.

Halo 2 had the pistol removed, no fall damage, no weapon moving physics, grenades were initially weaker (but were updated to be similar ot halo 1's with a faster fuse), and there is no health. just your energy sheild.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Au7KE9xUVTk