Thread: Did this really happen in the post??

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Did this really happen in the post??

I recently sold a rare Saturn game on eBay, and just today received an email from the buyer saying that it had been damaged in the post and complaining that I had not put extra bubble wrap in the package to protect it.

I send all my games in jiffy pack unless requested otherwise (and my auctions give the option to choose delivery in a box instead for an extra 70p).

Anyway, he also sent through some photos, including these:

Viewing the photo, I can only say that my suspicions were greatly raised - I simply cannot see how it would be possible to have caused that amount of damage to the game in a jiffy pack without attacking it with a mallet or something (and even then, it would be tough) ... still less how you could do that much damage and leave the manual and disc untouched, as he claims.

I find myself suspecting that he had a damaged copy of the game, and has switched them over. Any suggestions? Am I being over-suspicious?? I mean, these UK Saturn boxes are tough as nails - it's bloody difficult to even open the damn things, never mind inflict that kind of damage ..
    Last edited by Vroomfunkel; 07-30-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo!
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

do you have a link to the auction?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qixmaster View Post
    do you have a link to the auction?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150143629587
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In particular that second photo makes me suspicious. The plastic is mangled up and torn, in a way that I don't see could be possible with the game box closed and inside a package.

It looks more like either something that might have happened if the game case was open on the floor and someone stood on it and ground their foot around .. or tore it apart with some pliers or something!!

Also, the tears on the outer plastic and the cover don't match up with the break on the box. That's got to be some freak-ass accident ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd ask to see pictures of the package that the game came in. I can see no way that the case would be that damaged, torn, it looks like, without some damage to the packing. If I ever receive a damaged package, I take pictures before it ever gets opened. Maybe a little over the top, but with a digital camera, it doesn't cost anything.

JY

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

all I have to say is that this world is filled with scam artists and dishonest people. Did they pay for shipping insurance? if not I'd tell them that there is no more that you can do. Whats worse, taking somebody else's fucked up game or getting 1 negetive feedback. I've had somebody tell me I sent the wrong disk for a rare PS2 game before and I was shocked that happened, I called their bluff and said go F yourself because I know I sent the right game. I got the negetive but its better than me giving a refund of $50 and having them send me a shit game that wasn't worth even $5. I say tell them you can't do anything because they didn't ask for insurance, and it was obviously a postal error. If they don't have the packaging in the picture, then most likely they are hiding something (such as the mint game they recieved in the mail game in a mint box that was never damaged.).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been shipping and receiving video games consistantly for about 10 years now, and I've *never* seen anything like that happen through the mail. Especially for something as durable as a UK Saturn case.

Unfortunately for him, he declined to purchase insurance, so the onus is not on you to make amends, especially if you fishy about the transaction. It's up to you, however, if you want to take the money and a likely neg, or lose £60. I usually do the former.

It is strange how the buyer is not some newbie with (0) feedback, though. Those are the ones who try the ol' bait and switch most of the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is a jiffy pack like a bubble mailer?

Did the seller purchase insurance?

Did he pay with PayPal?

Personally I wouldn't ship anything worth more than $10 in a bubble mailer. I think the concern here is can he file a charge back with PayPal if he paid that way. Item arrive not as described.

Based on those pictures my gut feeling is that he pulled a swicharoo on you but based on his feedback (7943 positives vs only 5 negs) I'd have to trust him.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's possible. I've worked for UPS on a couple different occasions over Christmas-time. Packages get stepped on in a full truck. Nevertheless, if the buyer opted not to pay for insurance, it's not your problem. You packaged things fine.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just also noticed, if you look at the second photo, the plastic is torn outwards, suggesting that the damage must have occurred with the box open, via an impact/force from the inside - something that would surely be impossible to happen in the post?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I dunno man... true there are dishonest folks out there... but esp. when you send a rare game like this (PAL MKT quite scarce last time I checked) always pack that sucker sufficiently. Maybe I misinterpreted, but if you packed it to the gill, there's no way he could try and pull the wool ovr your eyes. I dunno what a jiffy pack is, but if it doesn't beat the protection of several layers of good ole bubble wrap... puts you in a less desired position than if you did. But I wish you the best. The seller has a TON of +FB at 99.9%... doesn't mean he can't cheat you like the next guy, but he does have that to show for, at least.

Your auction says "extra bubble wrap if necessary." Should have packed that sucker SO tight and well he wouldn't have dared cheat you, if that's the case what he really tried to do here. I honestly have no clue what I'd do in your shoes. I always double-triple bubble wrap, get DC and insurance if it's a big ticket item. Let us know how it works out.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a tough one. I guess, given the f/b (much of which is as a buyer), I shouldn't be suspicious. As for the packing, if it had been a CD case game - like the Japanese Saturn games, or the US ones, then I certainly would have put extra bubble in - but the kind of impact you'd need to make that damage to a UK Saturn case, I doubt any amount of extra bubble could help.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, here's the latest update. I asked the guy to send the game back to me, which he said he would do by recorded delivery - I suggested he send it to my workplace since nobody would be at home to sign during the day.

As yet, no sign of the game, and not heard a peep out of the guy since. Bizarre ... I can't for the life of me figure out this whole thing. Here's hoping that I've heard the last of it! Would be the best solution to the situation, as far as I am concerned.

However, to complete my postal service woes:

1) I got an email from a company I ordered labels from saying that the labels were returned to them marked "addressee gone away" (which is not true!).

2) A guy I sold a phone to for £110, and sent by special delivery claims that he hasn't got it despite the Royal Mail tracking service stating that it has been delivered (although the website won't display the proof of delivery, saying "online proof of delivery unavailable for this item", which is a little concerning).

I've given up ebaying now until the postal strikes are over, I just can't be bothered with this kind of hassle all the time.