Thread: A new portable gaming device

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A new portable gaming device

Hello everyone!

Well, I have had it with finding the ideal portable. Thank you guys for all your input in looking for it. I defaulted to a PSP in the end because it seemed most suitable. Unfortunately, it was plagued by slow SNES emulation, not that great battery life and a web browser that seems cool at first, but then when you type your first url, you realize that this was not made to type haha.

So a while back, during my search for the ideal portable, I decided to contact my old friends from college. Luckily, Notre Dame has a good network for alumni and I was able to reconnect with some friends…more importantly engineering friends. We founded our company (Inverted, Inc.) are currently working with a R&D company on a new device that would meet all of my capricious demands.

This portable is being designed with two purposes in mind: 1) for the gamer in all of us and 2) for the professional in all of us that needs email, the web and common business applications. This will have a way to comfortably play games, unlike PDAs and cell phones and at the same time be small and professional looking with an easy way to type in order to use it for anything.

We are finally getting to the end of the design part and into the phase where we have to give away lots of money. My question to my friends at Digital Press is would you guys be interested in such a device? Do you think that we can actually make something of this, or is this simply my personal dream?

Thank you,

Jeremy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whether I want one or not mainly depends on the price. I'm very interested though.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    We are finally getting to the end of the design part and into the phase where we have to give away lots of money. My question to my friends at Digital Press is would you guys be interested in such a device? Do you think that we can actually make something of this, or is this simply my personal dream?

Thank you,

Jeremy
    Is it a NEW system that you will be working with publishers to get games for it or is it like a modification to the PSP or something to make it better? Usually new things like this from a company not well known don't sell well, is that what you plan to do?
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post
    Whether I want one or not mainly depends on the price. I'm very interested though.
    We are trying to come up with a cost that would make it affordable for pretty much everyone. I am thinking in the 250 range, but at this stage it is too early to commit to...but thats my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post
    Is it a NEW system that you will be working with publishers to get games for it or is it like a modification to the PSP or something to make it better? Usually new things like this from a company not well known don't sell well, is that what you plan to do?
    This is going to be a completely new device. As far as developing games for it, I am not sure at this time. We will begin by having an operating system that has already a good amount of homebrew software/games, or maybe even an open source system like linux. In any case, we have a plan to create a website with all of the downloadable content so that people buying our products have a reliable source of free new software for the device.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

while this may be a great design and invention, it may be suicide to put something like that out there. You say the goal is to charge $250 for the device and have all sorts of free downloadable content and homebrew. But think of what the price is compared to the competition. You'd be going up against DS and PSP. While the new device may have better features and could possibly be a more powerful system, Nintendo and Sony are two of the biggest names in the game market. When somebody sees a redesigned PSP for $180 or whatever its gonna cost, and can walk into a game store and have shit loads of software to choose from made by other big companies, its gonna be hard to sell something new from a little known company at a higher cost than the more well known competition with the lower price tag.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    while this may be a great design and invention, it may be suicide to put something like that out there. You say the goal is to charge $250 for the device and have all sorts of free downloadable content and homebrew. But think of what the price is compared to the competition. You'd be going up against DS and PSP. While the new device may have better features and could possibly be a more powerful system, Nintendo and Sony are two of the biggest names in the game market. When somebody sees a redesigned PSP for $180 or whatever its gonna cost, and can walk into a game store and have shit loads of software to choose from made by other big companies, its gonna be hard to sell something new from a little known company at a higher cost than the more well known competition with the lower price tag.
    The first post mentioned that it'll also be a good tool for non-gamers. That could give it the edge it needs to survive; if it's friendly towards homebrew programmers, it'll definitely find a niche market, at least...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Yes, I understand that and if manufacturing costs are less I will make it less. The thing is that I am not looking to compete with Nintendo or Sony. There is no way I could. Instead, I am trying to create a portable device that will be a mini computer (that usually cost a lot more than 250) and at the same time can cater to those of us gamers. I am thinking of the Zodiac and GP2x. They made something that could handle all kinds of games and emulation. This could be a new generation of those portables.
    Last edited by monkeychemist; 08-01-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The perfect device (for me, at least -- YMMV), would be something with a form factor and screen size/resolution similar to the Nokia N800, but with actual gaming controls (d-pad and buttons). You'd probably want it to be running Linux due to the large developer base and the availability of emulators. Wi-Fi would be nice too. Of course, the N800 costs more than $250 already, so hitting a $250 price target with these specs would be tricky.

The GP2X already exists in this 'homebrew-friendly' market space, but lacks the processing power and larger screen necessary to serve as a more general-purpose computer. If you were able to create something more like what I described above, I'd buy one in a second.

Lining up a developer or two to create content for the system would help too, but this is much easier said than done. It's the chicken vs. egg issue -- studios don't want to develop for unproven hardware and buyers don't want to buy into hardware without some software support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I think you should call it the Gizmondo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaniel View Post
    The perfect device (for me, at least -- YMMV), would be something with a form factor and screen size/resolution similar to the Nokia N800, but with actual gaming controls (d-pad and buttons). You'd probably want it to be running Linux due to the large developer base and the availability of emulators. Wi-Fi would be nice too. Of course, the N800 costs more than $250 already, so hitting a $250 price target with these specs would be tricky.

The GP2X already exists in this 'homebrew-friendly' market space, but lacks the processing power and larger screen necessary to serve as a more general-purpose computer. If you were able to create something more like what I described above, I'd buy one in a second.

Lining up a developer or two to create content for the system would help too, but this is much easier said than done. It's the chicken vs. egg issue -- studios don't want to develop for unproven hardware and buyers don't want to buy into hardware without some software support.
    Yes, we are developing a "controller" feel system. The challenge is making something ergonomically easy to play games and at the same time look professional so you don't look like a kid whipping it out during a business meeting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Yes, I understand that and if manufacturing costs are less I will make it less. The thing is that I am not looking to compete with Nintendo or Sony. There is no way I could. Instead, I am trying to create a portable device that will be a mini computer (that usually cost a lot more than 250) and at the same time can cater to those of us gamers. I am thinking of the Zodiac and 32X. They made something that could handle all kinds of games and emulation. This could be a new generation of those portables.
    Sounds like a good idea, we'll just have to see it and what's going to happen to judge.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My initial thoughts after reading the first post in this thread are: "Oh no, not another GP32 / Gizmondo / Zodiac clone...", as has been mentioned above

At the end of the day, most of us want to play all the games we know and love, on a portable. This is evident by all the various emulators which have been created for PSP, N-Gage, DS etc. Whilst some are better than others, most are far from perfect.

The problem with the PSP and Sony is: We would be more than happy to have a console where we could play all our favourite PlayStation titles. Had they made the PSP based on the rerecordable Mini Disc technology (Albeit with UMD's instead), and given us a tool which would have enabled owners of PlayStation games to make a copy onto a UMD, then we would've been content with that. Obviously there are key problems with this idea (The most obvious one being piracy and protection of IP's), but deep down it's what we all want.

Same goes for DS. We would've been content having a portable console that allowed us to play N64 games. I am surprised that Nintendo haven't yet given us a new incarnation of the GameBoy which features internet access and a form of Virtual Console software which would enable gamers to download and play various games from Nintendo's past ~ Now i'm sure there would be a market for such a console (iQue anyone?) ~ Plus, it would solve various piracy issues which would arise.

But, back on topic. Stability and versatility is the main concern with such a portable device. I would say memory capacity and processing power are the two main factors. Ie, your average mobile phone or PDA is more powerful than a home PC was only six years back, but they barely have the software or power that allow you to run anything newer than a game like Doom. Even an iPod can run a crude incarnation of Doom.

If I were to make a portable console, i'd want it to be able to run the various PC emulators (Such as Snes9x, Gens, VirtualBoy Advance etc) smoothly at full speed with no problems, plus also allowing me to be able to run various PC games from pre-1999 (Such as Age Of Empires, Sim City, Theme Park, Doom, Quake II etc)
    Last edited by Gemini-Phoenix; 07-30-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I know what you mean. I'm not quite yet in the world of business and I own a DS and a PSP. I'll tell you how I like my PSP when I dust it off... and find it... meh it's not worth it. *ahem* I like your ideas and if it can deliver, also interested in your device. Just would like to know what type of hardware is going into your new console.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd honestly have to know way more about this system. We will always buy a new system if it rocks.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    I'd honestly have to know way more about this system. We will always buy a new system if it rocks.
    Yes, I understand and agree with you because that is what I would want. Since we are not fully done, I don't want to give half-fast specs right now, however as soon as I can I will. I am not even sure what operating system would make it run the most reliably and fastest.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then it doesn't sound like you're anywhere near the end of the design phase.

For me, the DS can do all the non-gaming stuff I need as well as all the gaming, so I doubt I'd buy another handheld--but if I did it would probably be the GP2X at this point and it sounds like that's pretty much the sort of thing you're going for, so it sounds interesting to me.

Personally, I don't understand the need for things like PDAs. I've tried using PDAs and even DSOrganize on my DS to keep track of numbers, e-mails and schedules for work, but I've never found anything that works better than a fliptop spiralbound notebook. So I'm doubtful of how useful that side of your system would be for me. I'm also doubtful that you could build a stronger homebrew scene than the DS and GP2X already have. And I'm positive you couldn't get more commercial game support than the DS and PSP. So...well, that's just my take.

...word is bondage...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds a lot like the Tapwave Zodiac, which is not all bad. The Zodiac is a great device. I love mine, the screen is gorgeous. Tapwave no longer exists, though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you really plan on going through with this, you're going to need the best marketing people on the planet. The first thing people are going to ask is how it's better then the $130 nintendo DS.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think one thing should be really easy... make it open source and make it linux/unix based. You'll have access to kernels that you can whip into whatever shape you need them. If your device uses an ARM processor, you can also count on people who have developed emulators for the GP2X porting those over to your device if it succeeds.

That being said, you have to offer a superior product to them. That means full SNES emulation ability, and even N64 if you can pull it off. It also means being acceptable to different types of media input. The GP2x has trouble being compatible with some types of SD cards, so what I think you want is strong support for SD and microSD cards, as well as USB if you can.

As for the PDA functionality, you may want to consider adding touch screen functionality (I don't know the economics of that), but that also opens a whole other dimension for your open source community supporting your device in terms of homebrew.

I would also make it easy to sync up with a PC.

As for ergonomics and styling, it obviously can't be a brick like the nomad, nor weigh too much, and it can't be ugly to look at. I think an analog stick, 4 face button (plus a start and select) as well as 2 shoulder buttons is a good core design.

A rechargeable custom battery pack may not be a bad idea either. If you force people to use AA's, then they may use rechargeables, but likely won't get more than 8 hours tops out of your device. If you include a custom battery pack, you can up this and make it less frustrating to use. A wall adapter to charge without taking the battery out would be a smart move too.

Honestly, you want to use the gp2x as your base and say to yourselves "How can we improve this device?" because their product fits perfectly into the market where the PSP and DS don't necessarily reach.

If you don't want to go that high in specs, then I think you have to make it a 100 or less device that still offers compelling features.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just don't market your products' ability to reproduce the copyrighted works of others. Let that spread by word of mouth or make your system linux based.

I'd buy one of it ends up having huge storage capacity. A huge library of games and music at my disposal every waking moment would be awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I just don't understand the difference between this and a DS Lite with a solid Flash Cart with some existing homebrew applications.

While I might be intriqued, I probably wouldn't buy one as I have already invested in multiple DS Lites.