Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Konami is "'open to other platforms" for MGS4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Konami is "'open to other platforms" for MGS4

• President Tanaka also stated, "As we are aware of the popularity and hardware-driving power of this software franchise, going forwards we are open to taking this franchise across to other platforms."
    http://kotaku.com/

here we go again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Of course they are...if they want to make money.

It's going to be RE4 all over again. The initial superior version (GC) that doesn't sell, having to be supplemented by an inferior version (PS2) for the masses. It all comes back to "install base". I've often said here that only an fool would truly believe MGS4 won't eventually come to the 360.

Anyway, I'm still buying the PS3 version seeing as I'm not fan of multiple disc games. In 1997 it was tolerable...in 2007, not so much.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you misunderstood the statement...

he said "going forward..." which means that MGS4 will be exclusive to PS3 but then the future of MGS4 may go to other platforms.

In my opinion, the success of PS3 will determine that answer. I think if sales pick up due to FF13, MGS4 and whatever good games are on the long horizon, then Konami will keep their franchise to Sony. However, if those games are not enough they will move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Of course they are...if they want to make money.

It's going to be RE4 all over again. The initial superior version (GC) that doesn't sell, having to be supplemented by an inferior version (PS2) for the masses. It all comes back to "install base". I've often said here that only an fool would truly believe MGS4 won't eventually come to the 360.

Anyway, I'm still buying the PS3 version seeing as I'm not fan of multiple disc games. In 1997 it was tolerable...in 2007, not so much.

Why do you hate on the PS2 version of RE4 so much?

A LOT of ppl enjoyed that game and Im one of them.

Yes the PS2 version did sell more than the GC ver but to keep calling the PS2 version "inferior" really irritates the hell out of me.

The PS2 version of RE4 had extras that SOME ppl actually enjoyed and for many fans of the RE series the ADA missions were a big plus.

the GC version had slighty "shineyerrrr" graphics that is ALL.

Surprisingly to even me the PS2 version of RE4 is my favorite version overall as I originally picked up the PS2 "port" just to play the new ADA missions and check out the other extra content since I am a big RE fan and I do own the Gamecube version btw

and yea I can highjack this thread if I want since I started it

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

See MGS2: Substance for a similar occurence.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    I think you misunderstood the statement...

he said "going forward..." which means that MGS4 will be exclusive to PS3 but then the future of MGS4 may go to other platforms.
    How is that unlike RE4?

MGS4 is more than likely going to be on the 360, eventually (big surprise). Also the DEMO for FF13 isn't going to be ready until early next year. The retail release won't be seen here in the states until Q3 08 at the earliest. Q1 09 is more likely (IMO)... So just how is FF13 going to have an effect on or anything to do with where MGS4 goes after PS3? Short answer: It won't.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922 View Post
    Why do you hate on the PS2 version of RE4 so much?

A LOT of ppl enjoyed that game and Im one of them.

Yes the PS2 version did sell more than the GC ver but to keep calling the PS2 version "inferior" really irritates the hell out of me.

The PS2 version of RE4 had extras that SOME ppl actually enjoyed and for many fans of the RE series the ADA missions were a big plus.

the GC version had slighty "shineyerrrr" graphics that is ALL.

Surprisingly to even me the PS2 version of RE4 is my favorite version overall as I originally picked up the PS2 "port" just to play the new ADA missions and check out the other extra content since I am a big RE fan and I do own the Gamecube version btw

and yea I can highjack this thread if I want since I started it
    Please don't misunderstand. I think that the PS2 version of RE4 is still better than 99% of all the PS2 games ever released. I agree that it's still an excellent game overall...it just isn't as good as the GC version. I've listed the reasons in previous threads, but I'll throw a few out there to clarify...

The GC version has better graphics, sound (very important with this game), and control. That's basically it in a nutshell. This is all a moot point now anyway with the Wii version trumping the PS2 and GC versions IMO.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

maybe that means that they'll make a form of Metal Gear Solid 4 for DS or PSP. Maybe not the same game as the PS3 but I'm sure they'll probably make some offshoot series or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They wouldn't have to do too much, at least not as much as creating a whole new game, to put MGS4 on 360. Makes the prospect much more likely. Portable Ops 2 comes out soon if I remember right... so that leaves Wii and DS. WTF are they playing at if not a 360 version? A Wii version sounds laughable, honestly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they could always just release a card battling MGS4 game on DS or something... hey ya never know!

But reall I think like others have said, a 360 release for MGS4 is pretty obvious for the future, MGS4 will probably be exclusive to PS3 for atleast a year or maybe 2 then we will have a slightly upgraded port of it on 360. You can't blame konami for wanting to take advantage of the millions of potential buyers on the 360 platform though, its a business and they want to make money.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    It's going to be RE4 all over again. The initial superior version (GC) that doesn't sell, having to be supplemented by an inferior version (PS2) for the masses.
    Some of you know I'm a stickler for facts, so...

As of April 31, 2007, the GameCube version of Resident Evil 4 has sold 1.6 million worldwide and the PlayStation 2 version has sold 2 million units worldwide.

http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/data/million.html

I don't think I'd categorize 1.6 million as "not selling."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't Kojima say this was the final "true" Metal Gear game in the series? Basically, there won't be a MGS5. I also agree that this will be RE4 all over again. I'll be getting the PS3 version most likely, cause I don't want to wait, and also Kojima isn't working on the 360 version, they are having an outside team work on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not so sure about last Metal Gear... he did say it was the last Metal Gear he would work on. Kojima wants to do other things. If I was working on the same project for well over a decade with barely anything else for variety I'd never want to work on it again either. Total burnout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MGO - 360/PS3
    MGS4 - PS3

Could it happen?
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps a PC port is in the works?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox View Post
    MGO - 360/PS3
    MGS4 - PS3

Could it happen?
    Absolutely, I believe that to be the ultimate case, I think that MGO will be 360/PS3 and MGS4 - will stay exclusive to the PS3.

on that note the MGS4 substance could be on both systems.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    See MGS2: Substance for a similar occurence.
    Metal Gear Integral also got ported to PC and then the abysmal remake for Gamecube. Really, I'm honestly surprised that MGS3 didn't get ported to other platforms. I find it funny that people keep speculating and rumor mongering about the porting of MGS4 to other platforms... given Konami's track record with the franchise, it's highly likely that it'll get ported.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Didn't Kojima say this was the final "true" Metal Gear game in the series? Basically, there won't be a MGS5.
    He'll probably start a new Metal Gear series. 4 will probably be the end of the Solid series but there's still the Acid series under Noriaki Okamura and god-knows-what other series is being cooked up.

Hell, maybe just to confuse people even more, he'll actually do "Metal Gear 3" to take place between Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Metal Gear Integral also got ported to PC and then the abysmal remake for Gamecube. Really, I'm honestly surprised that MGS3 didn't get ported to other platforms. I find it funny that people keep speculating and rumor mongering about the porting of MGS4 to other platforms... given Konami's track record with the franchise, it's highly likely that it'll get ported.

WOW I guess Im the only one who liked the Twin Snakes on Gamecube. Sure it wasnt up to par with the original or anywhere near MGS2 or MGS3 but all in all it was a good "update" to the legendary PSone original.

He'll probably start a new Metal Gear series. 4 will probably be the end of the Solid series but there's still the Acid series under Noriaki Okamura and god-knows-what other series is being cooked up.

Hell, maybe just to confuse people even more, he'll actually do "Metal Gear 3" to take place between Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid.
    I would rather have an "update" or remake of the two original Metal Gear games on MSX Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake on PS3 or Xbox360 even if Kojima wasnt directly involved as long as one of the Konami development teams handled the games im sure they would be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Metal Gear Integral also got ported to PC and then the abysmal remake for Gamecube.
    According to Gamestats.com, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for Gamecube received an overall rating of 8.7 out of 10.

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/535/535845/

According to Metacritic.com, it received an overall rating of 85 out of 100.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...0Twin%20Snakes

If that's abysmal, what do you call a game like Smashing Drive or Universal Studios Theme Park Adventure?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dunno if its been pointed out already, but Konami didnt say they were open to other platforms for MGS4, they just said the MGS franchise. Its been so many rumors about MGS4 going for other platforms, but they are all based on speculations and/or the "franchise" comments. It is possible that MGS4 comes to another platform, but it will take months aftert the PS3 release if its going to happend.