Thread: Power Base Converter on a CDX?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default Power Base Converter on a CDX?

I just picked up a stack of Master System games, and now I have a few questions related to the Power Base Converter. I know that the PBC does work with the CDX, but I also know that it puts pressure on the power plug, which has the potential to damage a CDX. I'm not interested in physically altering my CDX or a PBC. Are there any other options short of putting my system at (albeit slight) risk?

I know Europe got a second PBC that was designed to fit in a Genesis 2. How does that fit in a CDX?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I just picked up a stack of Master System games, and now I have a few questions related to the Power Base Converter. I know that the PBC does work with the CDX, but I also know that it puts pressure on the power plug, which has the potential to damage a CDX. I'm not interested in physically altering my CDX or a PBC. Are there any other options short of putting my system at (albeit slight) risk?

I know Europe got a second PBC that was designed to fit in a Genesis 2. How does that fit in a CDX?
    Just so long as you don't leave it in the machine when not in use, it's not too bad. I mean, my CDX was already jacked up when I got a PBC, but my friend has used a PBC in his for years with no ill effects.

You could probably just get a replacement plug from radio shack with a less large connector jutting out the back of the machine.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

For what it's worth...I used my PBC on my CDX for a few months, and it never caused me any problems. I didn't notice any undue / excessive pressure on the power plug.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Insert Coin (Level 0) northern_gooner's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

It fits just the same as the first PCB but it was designed to fit the Mega Drive 2/genesis 2 snugly, but I dont think it had the Multimega/CDX in mind at all. Also on the second pbc the card slot has been removed.
    You might find that it would be easier to purchase a European Master system as the 2nd PCB is quite hard to find & isnt really compatible. Failing that there is an adapter (Mark III Adapter) made by a Hong Kong company (TTK) that was designed with the multimega/cdx in mind & allows you too play Mark III & master system games. I know Lik-Sang use to sell them for about $30 but not sure where you would find it now.

Let me know how you get on. If you do want a system I have a few MKII (unboxed) master systems. Please note that I am in the UK, so It might be easier getting a SMS overthere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PBC doesn't put that much pressure on the power plug... it just pushes against it a bit. It's not anything to worry about.

There's also Tototek's SMS converter, which shouldn't have any problems on a CDX.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You can look for an alternate power supply that handles the same voltage but has a plug that will fit better. I don't know where to find them, but I've seen such a set up before.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The European Master System Convertor II will do the job nicely, as will the 3rd Party Mega Master adaptors.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Are there PA/NTSC issues with the Euor PBC2?

Also, besides Tototek, there are other third-party cartridge-sized converters out there, but Tototek's is probably best because it does Mark III also.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks like the Tototek one doesn't do mycards, though, which would be a pain if you're into MarkIII stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Are there PA/NTSC issues with the Euor PBC2?
    No. The video signal is handled strictly inside the Genesis/MegaDrive. The converter just changes the cartridge slot (and tells the system to boot in SMS mode).

Also, besides Tototek, there are other third-party cartridge-sized converters out there, but Tototek's is probably best because it does Mark III also.
    The only other one I really know of is the one by Datel. Datel sold a Master System converter in the UK back in the early 90s. They're kind of rare now, and I've heard that they're not very reliable, so I wouldn't recommend one.

I'm told that Lik-Sang once sold one that was made in Hong Kong, but I don't know anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.